Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel comics as novels

Hey has anyone checked out some of the X-books in novel format?

I did this by mistake for Weapon X and lemme tell ya, best decision. It was so much scarier, so much more daunting! I still haven't been able to get hold of the original trade of it, but from the scans I've seen it's interesting to see how your imagination runs away with you when these things are described rather than shown.

I've got Magneto's Mutant Empire omnibus in the same format (another accident, but ah well,) and I'm hoping it's a similar experience!

BANNED

X-MEN: DARK MIRROR by Marjorie Liu

Wolverine gets trapped inside the body of a woman.

The X-Men/Star Trek crossovers are pretty good too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post

Oh wow, really? I'll have to check 'em out!

I haven't actually read any, and I didn't even realize it was a thing until Jeremy Whitely mentioned that Emma Frost had an entire series of YA novels that went on for like 20 books. I'm thinking about picking up the upcoming Unstoppable Wasp book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I haven't actually read any, and I didn't even realize it was a thing until Jeremy Whitely mentioned that Emma Frost had an entire series of YA novels that went on for like 20 books. I'm thinking about picking up the upcoming Unstoppable Wasp book.
    If you do, tell me what it's like! I loved the Unstoppable Wasp from what I picked up, but budgeting at the time meant I had to drop it, lol!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I could do so much with that material. None of which is suitable for a family forum...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I could do so much with that material. None of which is suitable for a family forum...
    Honey, you go and just have fun!

BANNED

Have u read Wolverine and Havoc Meltdown by Walter Simpsons ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post
    Have u read Wolverine and Havoc Meltdown by Walter Simpsons ?
    I haven't; is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Hey has anyone checked out some of the X-books in novel format?

I did this by mistake for Weapon X and lemme tell ya, best decision. It was so much scarier, so much more daunting! I still haven't been able to get hold of the original trade of it, but from the scans I've seen it's interesting to see how your imagination runs away with you when these things are described rather than shown.

I've got Magneto's Mutant Empire omnibus in the same format (another accident, but ah well,) and I'm hoping it's a similar experience!
    I've got both the tpb and the novelization of Weapon X. Let me tell you they are both haunting reads, Barry Windsor Smith's art is amazing and brutal.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I haven't; is it any good?
    It is one of most unique artistic styles I have seen in x-comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I've got both the tpb and the novelization of Weapon X. Let me tell you they are both haunting reads, Barry Windsor Smith's art is amazing and brutal.
    Right?? Weapon X as a novel...oh my god, I've never been so terrified! Like, just at the sheer sociopathy of those in charge and for Logan! Like...how in the world can you possibly do that? Even with the agendas displayed, how could you be so callous?

And how Logan was so dehumanised through the whole thing! Like he was less than an animal, or doll! Just, handled; made to march around naked and nigh-on brain dead! Like, such awesome literature in comic format, but so terrifying when you're left to picture it yourself!

The number of traditional novels based on X-Men are few and far between, but there are some gems worth reading. For anyone interested, I would highly recommend the novelization for X2, which came back in 2003. It's written by Chris Claremont. It expands on some scenes that were not fleshed out in the movie. Plus, it's Chris Claremont writing X-Men. What more do you need?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The number of traditional novels based on X-Men are few and far between, but there are some gems worth reading. For anyone interested, I would highly recommend the novelization for X2, which came back in 2003. It's written by Chris Claremont. It expands on some scenes that were not fleshed out in the movie. Plus, it's Chris Claremont writing X-Men. What more do you need?
    Ooooh awesome!! I'm definitely checking that one out!!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I recently read 'Prisoner X', a 1998 novel starring Storm, Wolverine, Phoenix, Beast, Rogue and Gambit.

Granted I was a guaranteed audience, because the author is Ann Nocenti and the book includes every regular Wildways character: Longshot, Mojo, Spiral/Ricochet Rita and Major Domo. I believe, though, it is anyway a pretty good reading (despite a bit arduous starting up), particularly if you appreciate a bit of wackiness and a lot of rebellion. And, IMHO, it’s beautiful the way she writes her creations in prose.

This time, burning subjects for Nocenti are VR games, invasion of privacy and, over all, correctional system. Much earlier than DeConnick’s ‘Bitch Planet’, in this novel Longshot (the 'Prisoner X' from the title, a dead man walking) is a convict in a space branch penitentiary, along with Rita and other petty criminals. This prison, despite being an institution of USA government, is run by Mojo and exploited as a resource for a 'prison life' 24-hour TV channel, a mix of reality show and (hidden) snuff. Spiral plays here her usual role as Mojo reluctant right hand, as Nocenti intentionally ignores the 1993 canon established in the 'Shattershot' crossover, according to which Rita and her are the same person.

Nocenti deals with issues as benefits of prison building companies, badly paid work, isolation, abuses, violation of private life, ‘guinea pigs’...and death penalty. It’s really noteworthy that such themes were allowed in a Marvel novel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got the feeling that, in a certain way, 'Prisoner X' is a score-settling as a compensation for that Longshot Graphic Novel/series that never saw daylight. I once read in a interview that Nocenti wanted to fill the lacuna between the end of the former Limited Series (Longshot, Quark and Rita crossing the interdimensional portal to the Wildways) and UXM Annual #10 (Longshot falling down to the Danger Room). Supposedly, the time spent in the guerrilla (weeks? months? years?) turned Longshot a little bitter, because war is dirty and rough and mean, and it changes people. That fits perfectly with the shadowed conscious (yet glowing) Longshot portrayed in this novel, much closer to the one we glimpsed through the Wildways flashbacks from the former Limited Series than to the one who fell to Earth. I guess the fact that here he seems to remember all about his past has got much to do, also, with his gloomy mood (even more melancholic than usual). It has partly killed his joy, although it makes him more determined to insurrection than ever, too, without losing an ounce of his gentleness. In fact, this unusually serene and harmonious Longshot makes me think it would be interesting to explore if he would be able to willingly manipulate odds.

On this matter, I was so happy that I verified that my assumptions of Longshot as a character (in opposition to how he's been often portrayed by other writers) are right, since his creator refers here to him with words I often use to define him: Sisyphus, errant, anarchist, holy bum, Galahad... A natural unsubmissive.

Also, this novel anticipates (two decades earlier than ‘Mr & Mrs X’) a meeting that many people wanted to read: Longshot and Gambit face to face (and Rogue as backstory). Fanservice? Sure! Why not? Although I’m aware that the Longshot/Rogue pairing is senseless, I've always been a shipper: I love both of them, I love them together and I love to read about the development of their relationship. And I think it’s appropriately treated in this novel.

So, yes, a recommendation if you wish.

This sounds interesting.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 12-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.