Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I recently read 'Prisoner X', a 1998 novel starring Storm, Wolverine, Phoenix, Beast, Rogue and Gambit.

Granted I was a guaranteed audience, because the author is Ann Nocenti and the book includes every regular Wildways character: Longshot, Mojo, Spiral/Ricochet Rita and Major Domo. I believe, though, it is anyway a pretty good reading (despite a bit arduous starting up), particularly if you appreciate a bit of wackiness and a lot of rebellion. And, IMHO, it’s beautiful the way she writes her creations in prose.

This time, burning subjects for Nocenti are VR games, invasion of privacy and, over all, correctional system. Much earlier than DeConnick’s ‘Bitch Planet’, in this novel Longshot (the 'Prisoner X' from the title, a dead man walking) is a convict in a space branch penitentiary, along with Rita and other petty criminals. This prison, despite being an institution of USA government, is run by Mojo and exploited as a resource for a 'prison life' 24-hour TV channel, a mix of reality show and (hidden) snuff. Spiral plays here her usual role as Mojo reluctant right hand, as Nocenti intentionally ignores the 1993 canon established in the 'Shattershot' crossover, according to which Rita and her are the same person.

Nocenti deals with issues as benefits of prison building companies, badly paid work, isolation, abuses, violation of private life, ‘guinea pigs’...and death penalty. It’s really noteworthy that such themes were allowed in a Marvel novel.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got the feeling that, in a certain way, 'Prisoner X' is a score-settling as a compensation for that Longshot Graphic Novel/series that never saw daylight. I once read in a interview that Nocenti wanted to fill the lacuna between the end of the former Limited Series (Longshot, Quark and Rita crossing the interdimensional portal to the Wildways) and UXM Annual #10 (Longshot falling down to the Danger Room). Supposedly, the time spent in the guerrilla (weeks? months? years?) turned Longshot a little bitter, because war is dirty and rough and mean, and it changes people. That fits perfectly with the shadowed conscious (yet glowing) Longshot portrayed in this novel, much closer to the one we glimpsed through the Wildways flashbacks from the former Limited Series than to the one who fell to Earth. I guess the fact that here he seems to remember all about his past has got much to do, also, with his gloomy mood (even more melancholic than usual). It has partly killed his joy, although it makes him more determined to insurrection than ever, too, without losing an ounce of his gentleness. In fact, this unusually serene and harmonious Longshot makes me think it would be interesting to explore if he would be able to willingly manipulate odds.

On this matter, I was so happy that I verified that my assumptions of Longshot as a character (in opposition to how he's been often portrayed by other writers) are right, since his creator refers here to him with words I often use to define him: Sisyphus, errant, anarchist, holy bum, Galahad... A natural unsubmissive.

Also, this novel anticipates (two decades earlier than ‘Mr & Mrs X’) a meeting that many people wanted to read: Longshot and Gambit face to face (and Rogue as backstory). Fanservice? Sure! Why not? Although I’m aware that the Longshot/Rogue pairing is senseless, I've always been a shipper: I love both of them, I love them together and I love to read about the development of their relationship. And I think it’s appropriately treated in this novel.

So, yes, a recommendation if you wish.

This sounds interesting.
    That sound so fascinating, I'd love to get a hold of a copy!! I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled ('cos, hey, Gambit and Rogue, I ain't turning my back on them! <3 )

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    That sound so fascinating, I'd love to get a hold of a copy!! I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled ('cos, hey, Gambit and Rogue, I ain't turning my back on them! <3 )
    I'm not at all a Romy fan, but yes, there's quite a bit of stuff about it in the novel, so I guess you'd like it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I'm not at all a Romy fan, but yes, there's quite a bit of stuff about it in the novel, so I guess you'd like it
    You're right, I'm immediately sold on it, lol!