Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default All New All Different Marvel

Was this supposed to be a permanent thing or was it always temporary? Initially when this came out I was kind of annoyed about it because my favorite heroes were being shuffled aside but after thinking about it, this is something that has happened before. There have been multiple Captain Americas. Sam Wilson seemed like a good choice. He had been with Cap since the 70s. I would've gone with Bucky, though. For Jane Foster Thor, I'm not really sure why she was chosen. Thor had enough female supporting cast they could have put into that slot, Lady Sif, Valkyrie. Jason Aaron seems to REALLY like writing for Jane as he still is currently. But with Thor you had Erik Masterson before him, plus multiple people who could lift his hammer. I think Aaron's big mistake in that regard was pushing Jane for no reason to lift the hammer other than having a good heart. Plus de-emasculating Odin to turn his hammer into the be all to end all of his powers, when he was perfectly capable of fighting on his own without his hammer. And now having him lose fights and become a punching bag for Captain Marvel. With Hulk, Amadeus Cho although seems like he was chosen as a POC, the character had been around since 2005 and had established a relationship with Bruce Banner so it sort of made sense. Iron Man-James Rhodes had been IM for a bit in the 80s and to my knowledge, I don't think there was a public outcry against him then. Not sure why he wouldn't have been picked again instead of Riri Williams, but at least we had hologram Tony. And an interesting story with Doctor Doom Iron Man. I think the only ones who didn't change were Peter Parker and Matt Murdoch. So, all in all we got 2? 3 years maybe of this before the status quo was returned? So, not bad for those wanting their characters returned. I wonder if that's why Bendis left in November 2017 to go to DC?

Jane Thor and Sam Cap were NOT part of the ANAD Marvel initiative. They took their mantles launched in the previous wave of relaunches, Avengers NOW!.

And Ironheart and Infamous Iron Man are from ANADM's successor, Marvel NOW! 2.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-07-2019 at 06:31 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

ANAD and etc. are just marketing pushes, they're just there to shine a light on the stories that are prominent at a given time, to try and give people a chance to check them out, they're not like, grand directives from, on high. The stories in them will be as permanent or not as each writer (or the editor of that book) wants them to be, it will vary. ANAD it just kind of coincidentally had a lot of mantle changes going around, but I don't think any of them were really intended to be permanent replacements for the characters they were taking over for, even if the characters continued to be used under new names afterwards.

"All-New, All-Different Marvel" was basically just the next line of "Seasons" that they do pretty much every year, where many (if not all) of the books get relaunched following a certain thematic throughline.

The Initiative followed the aftermath of Civil War, and demonstrated how the heroes handled things through the for and against Registration Act sides.
    Dark Reign for the aftermath of Secret Invasion, in which Norman Osborn was in charge and we saw how those actions ended up effecting everyone.
    Heroic Age was about the heroes rising above after DR, taking enter stage again and rebuilding, etc., etc.

The gimmick for ANAD Marvel was that every book took place 8 months after the events of the previous runs for the characters/Secret Wars, so that most of the characters would be starting with new or slightly different status quos and one of the ongoing questions might be how they got to this point which would be answered throughout the run, and was also intended so newcomers could jump onto any book and not be completely lost as they'd be on the same page as everyone else.

For example:
    Peter Parker is in charge of a billion-dollar worldwide corporation.
    Scott Lang is in jail again.
    Sam Wilson is detested by the public and has a falling out with Steve.
    Rocket Raccoon leads a Guardians Of The Galaxy team featuring Thing and Kitty Pryde.
    Deadpool becomes a popular superhero and an Avenger.
    Matt Murdock's identity is a secret again.
    Jane Thor is wanted in Asgard and Odinson is missing.
    Bruce isn't the Hulk anymore, and Amadeus is instead.
    Carol becomes the head of Alpha Flight.
    Silk is working with Black Cat.
    Jessica Drew is pregnant.
    Miles Morales now lives in 616.
    Cyclops is dead and the Terrigen mists are killing mutants.
    Laura is the new Wolverine.
    Old Man Logan ends up in 616.
    A.I.M. creates their own Avengers team.

Honestly, it's not a bad idea and was executed fairly well. The issue was mostly that when Civil War II and then Marvel NOW! 2.0 started up, the stories either had to force themselves to tie-in, or adapt to fit the next thematic season, so many of the stories didn't get as much time to breathe as they probably should've.

ANAD low-key GOATed unless you were a mutant.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Aero interests more than Amadeus Cho if you ask me.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 12-08-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Wrong thread? Aero is Fresh Start, not ANAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    A.I.M. creates their own Avengers team.
    While they got their own New Avengers book as part of ANAD, Sunspot actually took over AIM and formed an Avengers team near the end of Hickman's Avengers run. Of course, the timeskip served to explain why Ewing didn't use the same roster.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wrong thread? Aero is Fresh Start, not ANAD.

While they got their own New Avengers book as part of ANAD, Sunspot actually took over AIM and formed an Avengers team near the end of Hickman's Avengers run. Of course, the timeskip served to explain why Ewing didn't use the same roster.
    Ah, was talking about Asian/POC heroes in general like CTTT was talking about.

I’m not sure what I can conclude on ANAD. Though it was supposed to be a seasonal marketing push and supposed to be just restarting where the stories left off before Secret Wars, there were a lot of alternate universes squashed in at the same time, so it wasn’t as simple as starting where they left off.

A lot of ANAD was trying to distance itself from the post-Heroic Age funk that made Marvel destroy the Multiverse and start again. Once you remove the Civil War legacy stuff, ANAD attempts to become something like pre-9/11 Marvel, where none of the high emotion, and backlash associated with the War on Terror has any room to exist anymore. I don’t know whether it succeeded.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Was this supposed to be a permanent thing or was it always temporary? Initially when this came out I was kind of annoyed about it because my favorite heroes were being shuffled aside but after thinking about it, this is something that has happened before. There have been multiple Captain Americas. Sam Wilson seemed like a good choice. He had been with Cap since the 70s. I would've gone with Bucky, though. For Jane Foster Thor, I'm not really sure why she was chosen. Thor had enough female supporting cast they could have put into that slot, Lady Sif, Valkyrie. Jason Aaron seems to REALLY like writing for Jane as he still is currently. But with Thor you had Erik Masterson before him, plus multiple people who could lift his hammer. I think Aaron's big mistake in that regard was pushing Jane for no reason to lift the hammer other than having a good heart. Plus de-emasculating Odin to turn his hammer into the be all to end all of his powers, when he was perfectly capable of fighting on his own without his hammer. And now having him lose fights and become a punching bag for Captain Marvel. With Hulk, Amadeus Cho although seems like he was chosen as a POC, the character had been around since 2005 and had established a relationship with Bruce Banner so it sort of made sense. Iron Man-James Rhodes had been IM for a bit in the 80s and to my knowledge, I don't think there was a public outcry against him then. Not sure why he wouldn't have been picked again instead of Riri Williams, but at least we had hologram Tony. And an interesting story with Doctor Doom Iron Man. I think the only ones who didn't change were Peter Parker and Matt Murdoch. So, all in all we got 2? 3 years maybe of this before the status quo was returned? So, not bad for those wanting their characters returned. I wonder if that's why Bendis left in November 2017 to go to DC?
    Is anything really permanent in comics that would affect their main characters? They made billions of dollars with te characters they "shuffled aside" and people actually thought it would be permanent. I think that period of Marvel was good to shake things up a bit, but the bigotry and hate that the fans exhibited was uncalled for.

It's in the past now, but people will still be bothered by it for years to come because holding a grudge is good for you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Is anything really permanent in comics that would affect their main characters? They made billions of dollars with te characters they "shuffled aside" and people actually thought it would be permanent. I think that period of Marvel was good to shake things up a bit, but the bigotry and hate that the fans exhibited was uncalled for.

It's in the past now, but people will still be bothered by it for years to come because holding a grudge is good for you.
    Add in not reading the books in the first place.

And aside from Banner, Reed & Sue-everyone else was around doing something-so it's not like they were really gone r replaced like Wally West was in New 52.

Oh well we get to see that behavior again when Dc tries it.

I think that period of Marvel was good to shake things up a bit, but the bigotry and hate that the fans exhibited was uncalled for.

From what I've seen, despite the many complaints about such bigoted fans, there were very few that were like that, more likely wanting to ruin others' fun time more than anything else and not caring to be constructive either. If nothing else, that noise should just be ignored whenever possible, because as far as the comics themselves are concerned anyway, I think that quality is what really matters in the end, and of course the aforementioned constructive criticism to go along with it.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    From what I've seen, despite the many complaints about such bigoted fans, there were very few that were like that, more likely wanting to ruin others' fun time more than anything else and not caring to be constructive either. If nothing else, that noise should just be ignored whenever possible, because as far as the comics themselves are concerned anyway, I think that quality is what really matters in the end, and of course the aforementioned constructive criticism to go along with it.
    Now that things are "back to normal," they should again. They've been juggling things better now. I think they put a fish into cold water and did too much in a short amount of time, and nowadays people fear change.

A lot of the naysayers already had their minds made up before reading a word.

Now that things are "back to normal," they should again. They've been juggling things better now. I think they put a fish into cold water and did too much in a short amount of time, and nowadays people fear change.

A lot of the naysayers already had their minds made up before reading a word.
    Seeing as how Tom DeFalco received bags of hate mail for changing Spider-Man's iconic suit back in the 80s, it's probably not just "nowadays," but enough has probably been said about that by now. Moving on then I suppose.

Mighty Member

Yeah as another poster said, having each change be like "seasons" makes more sense and gives context. I'm going back and reading some of the stuff from ANAD and it's not bad. I think haters were jumping out way too harshly.