Fantastic Member

Default Do you prefer an intelligent Hulk or a savage Hulk?

It seems to me that the general population thinks of the savage Hulk whenever somebody mentions the name "HULK" to them. I know that HULK has had a few runs where he has been intelligent but overall has it worked for the character and do you prefer it to him being simply "HULK SMASH" all the time?

I think the more angry the less intelligent would make a lot of sense and balance out both versions.

I am not a huge Hulk fan and am not aware if this has been attempted. If it was how well was it executed and is it worth checking out?
    I also think this would make for a pretty good poll.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Spectacular Member VideoGameCinema's Avatar

I don't really care either way. I love Hulk no matter which way! I just wish they would choose one way, and then stick with it.

BANNED

It depends on how well either are written.

Though, to be accurate, not even Savage Hulk is dumb. He's been shown to understand complex things, especially in Bill Mantlo's early tenure prior to Progression, Regression, and Crossroads sagas. True, Savage Hulk isn't a genius, but he's far from being dumb.

It all mostly depends on the writer.

I'd prefer an intelligent, savage Hulk. I've never been a fan of the trade-off ("he's scrawny but smart, unless he's powerful but dumb)".

I don't like the versions where he runs around as the Hulk saying "Bet-ty?" like he's mentally challenged.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 08-07-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Intelligent, savage Hulk.

Savage, but not mentally handicapped. Hulk should surprise people with his comprehension at times, but he doesnt need to be the "strongest there is" AND an intellectual peer of Richards and Stark. If he was, then there'd be little need for Banner.

Im not the biggest Hulk fan out there, but I think the Avengers cartoons have hit a decent spot with it. He's smart, and still the leading expert on gamma radiation, but nowhere near the level of Stark or Banner.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Green Scar was probably my favorite. So intelligent but not like super intelligent.

Remember when the intelligent Hulk was a big deal, back during the early-mid 80's (if my memory serves me correctly), when he had the intellect for an extended period?

Then, as we approached issue #300, he began to lose it...the little Hulk image in the upper left corner of the covers was standing there in a lab coat, dignified, holding a beaker, but with each issue nearing #300 he began to drop the beaker, the lab coat ripped...looking back now, issue #300 was quite sad, really.

But yeah, I've always loved the intelligent Hulk. I could go either way on it, though.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Green Scar was probably my favorite. So intelligent but not like super intelligent.
    This was the best iteration of the Hulk's character IMO.

I prefer Hulk to be somewhere between a typical barbarian warrior and a gritty everyman type like John McClane. I don't particularly care where in that range he is, but he should be in that range. I'm against a super-smart Hulk, in fact I don't even think Banner should be that smart. Banner should be Spider-Man-level intellectually, at most.