Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any New 52 Superman in Doomsday Clock? Potential SPOILERS

As noted in the headline, there are potential SPOILERS in this thread.

I saw a few pannels of Doomsday Clock in an excerpt from an Internet article. Lois and Clark were in bed, and Clark has a nightmare that consists of his parents dying the way and at the time they died in the New 52 timeline. Lois reminds him that it was just a dream, and Clark says he's never had a dream before (It may be that the dialogue actually specified that he never had a nightmare before.

Without having read any of what's around it in the Doomsday Clock thing, it seems obvious that Clark remembering this element of the New52 timeline is going to play into Doctor Manhattan having altered the timeline and so on and so forth. It may be a prelude to Clark getting his parents back (Which I think is a mistake, honestly- If Superman remains an older character with a son, he basically is Pa Kent for his son [Maybe even more so if these 5g rumors are accurate], making having an actual Jonathan Kent redundant. If they go with a younger Clark with no son [Or Jon as the remnant of an obsolete timeline like post-Crisis Power Girl- technically not the son of the then-current Superman, but matching his genetic makeup or a son Clark could have had.], having parents he goes to for advise could serve to infantilize the character [Common practice for things about adult characters that are trying to appeal to readers who are children is to give the adults parents and put them in a childlike setup so the kids can identify with them, often at the expense of true adult drama. Really, the one adult from that generation who works for me is General Lane, because he adds a lot of dramatic tension in various ways. Jor-El's return was fine as a gimmick, but in the long-run, he needs to have died on Krypton as a good guy- it's key to Superman's character.]).

Sooo, what are the odds we actually *see* the New52 Superman in Doomsday Clock as an active character? Has he been shown? Could he be split out from the Reborn Superman (Or recreated without altering the Reborn Superman) and be alive in the DC Universe when they're done?

I'm assuming they won't do any of that, but as a New52 Superman fan, I have to ask.

As an aside, for those interested, I'm told there is a brief one panel reference to the New52 Superman in Grant Morrison's Blackstars series (Green Lantern related comic).

If anyone needs context on what I have and haven't read, I've read all the Bendis Superman and Action Comics stuff up to the final issues of the recently released trades, but not current with the monthly releases. Basically, I like Bendis take on Superman with the older Jon (Thank Rao they finally aged that kid up) better than I liked Rebirth Superman or Reborn Superman: The Pre-Bendis Years (Bendis' version feels more like Superman to me than the Rebirth and Reborn eras immediately prior. Plus, Bendis is great at writing humor. I liked his X-Men stuff, too.). It's still not even close to as good as the New 52 Superman, though. It's good enough to digitally checkout from my library for free when they get the trades (Which I do). It's not good enough to buy monthly, which is what I did with New 52 Superman and would do again if they ever brought him back (Which at this point seems highly doubtful- never say never in comics, but...).
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 12-07-2019 at 12:02 PM.