Page 91 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2791
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    You can justify it however you want with random comic books...but going by the power levels in the show hourman got owned by sportsmaster a few episodes earlier so for him to beat grundy didnt add up...
    He still beat grundy.
    That's just the way it is.
    It's clear hourman in the show is really powerful as well.
    Keep in mind stargirl was beaten by shiv,and guess what happen later?
    Stargirl beat shiv.

and justifying the bad cgi on grundy by saying its the best looking grundy is pretty low bar for being entertained...
    I never mention anything about the cgi.

From those pages the writers apparently made the black superman a wimp....which isnt cool on many levels.
    Looking at Earth 2 hourman's power level he would have beaten white superman,prime earth and earth 2 kal in a fair fight as well.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-10-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    He still beat grundy.
    Stargirl beat shiv.
    It was a team effort with STRIPE. Pat softened Grundy up enough for Rick to tag in.

Courtney realized she can't beat Shiv in a hand-to-hand fight after their last two so she just settled for blasting her out.

Definitely...it was unsettling how bad the design and cgi was on grundy considering how good it is on STRIPE....and hour man beating grundy? grundy is on the same strenghth levels as superman it was a little silly at that point. The ISA was beater a little too easily considering how much they destroyed the JSA all season...for the most part this was a good series but had some writing choices that i can't get on board with.
    Even if this was comic Grundy (which its not), Grundy's strength varies. He is an elemental that is basically an energy sponge who is powered stronger when around energy. His elemental nature means he's stronger around Alan Scot and Dr Fate than others.

This is why Wildcat in the comics could beat him when Alan stood back and did nothing. When Grundie attacked the only energy source around would have been courtney who was told to leave and get the machine.

Besides superman level wouldnt have been held in a vault for over 10 years

Incredible Member

pretty lame at how the isa got beaten. brainwave was in the midst of his takeover, so instead of going to confront yolanda guns blazing , he decided to waste precious time with subterfuge and icicle , he managed to top smallville one. even smallville icicle did not get wasted by a car.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    He still beat grundy.
    Stargirl beat shiv.

I never mention anything about the cgi.

Looking at Earth 2 hourman's power level he would have beaten white superman,prime earth and earth 2 kal in a fair fight as well.
    Yes. It was poor writing. Stargirl blasted shiv... she still can't beat her one on one hand to hand. If writers would have had the superman prime superman get beaten by "hourman" fans would pull their hair out...that will never happen...this guy they are cool with.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I still liked the show, overall- but I have to say the last episode really soured me. Some good ideas but really weakly presented. A lot of bad ideas, also weakly presented. TV made to make room for ads is such a relic. If anything it at least gave somewhat of an ending so I'm fine leaving off here.

Felt like a lot of the build up and storytelling was undone far too quickly. 12 year old Mike murdering Icicle was a big "???".

I wonder how much stronger the season would have been if James Robinson penned the last few episodes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-11-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Yes. It was poor writing. Stargirl blasted shiv... she still can't beat her one on one hand to hand. If writers would have had the superman prime superman get beaten by "hourman" fans would pull their hair out...that will never happen...this guy they are cool with.
    O_o. ?????

Comic book Superman Prime and comic book Grundy are leagues apart.

Comic Book Grundy has been beaten up by Wildcat (who isnt enhanced)
    https://encrypted-tbn0.************/...k7yEw&usqp=CAU

Beaten by Batman
    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...grundy_dv2.jpg

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...sgrundy_sb.jpg

matched by Nuklon (who isnt much stronger than Hourman if at all),
    https://m.imgur.com/IOgCFNq

and been beaten up by Courtney Whitmore when she was JUST Star Spangled kid

https://encrypted-tbn0.************/...7gqJA&usqp=CAU

His power level varies immensely, because he absorbs energy which amps him. Yes he has matched Superman in fights but only after absorbing large amounts of energy. At his highs he can be a team buster but he is not often at those highs. Hell when he absorbs enough energy he gains powers like when he fought Classic Dr Fate, Alan Scot GL, and Rex Tyler Hourman. This was after spending a lot of time in a swamp that nuclear waste was being dumped in and absorbing the energy of Dr Fate and GLs attacks

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...Bpage%2B18.jpg

Here Superman says he got stronger through the day after he was hit with a beam of energy
    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...20superman.jpg

Here he gets "stronger than ever after being struck by lightning
    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...0lightning.jpg

Comic Grundy is all over the place powerwise but is ONLY EVER anywhere near Superman Level after he has been around powerful energy. He can take on the JLA or the JSA because both teams have members in them who are huge energy bateries, if Courtney and her staff had stayed in the room or tried to fight Grundy he would have smeared all of them all over the walls. Without an energy source like that he can be faced by street levelers and has been many times

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    pretty lame at how the isa got beaten. brainwave was in the midst of his takeover, so instead of going to confront yolanda guns blazing , he decided to waste precious time with subterfuge and icicle , he managed to top smallville one. even smallville icicle did not get wasted by a car.
    Brainwave's a sadist. He wanted to torture Yolanda using his son's image, but he also completely failed to understand his son once again which is how Yolanda figured him out. He might also not have had his full power from using the machine.

Smallville Icicle also didn't kill a kid by running over a car. Jordan got what he deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I still liked the show, overall- but I have to say the last episode really soured me. Some good ideas but really weakly presented. A lot of bad ideas, also weakly presented. TV made to make room for ads is such a relic. If anything it at least gave somewhat of an ending so I'm fine leaving off here.
    With the way the show was paced, it felt like it was just barreling straight to the ending instead of being designed around commercial breaks.
    Felt like a lot of the build up and storytelling was undone far too quickly. 12 year old Mike murdering Icicle was a big "???".
    I don't think Icicle is dead. I think he might be able to come back if they put all of his pieces together.
    I wonder how much stronger the season would have been if James Robinson penned the last few episodes.
    I thought Johns did a great job.

Extraordinary Member

If writers would have had the superman prime superman get beaten by "hourman" fans would pull their hair out...that will never happen...this guy they are cool with.
    First of all we don't know how powerful earth 2 hourman is.
    He could be around the same level of power or higher.
    It's clear however earth 2 hourman is more powerful and stronger then supermen val-zod and kal(prime earth and earth 2).
    Clearly there are different versions of hourman like superman with varied levels of power.
    Last edited by mace11; 08-11-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Brainwave's a sadist. He wanted to torture Yolanda using his son's image, but he also completely failed to understand his son once again which is how Yolanda figured him out. He might also not have had his full power from using the machine.
    One line would have made it a lot clearer, but Brainwave must have been weakened since the purpose of his subterfuge was to find out where the others were. He somehow couldn't find them on his own with his powers. His death by her hands was surprising, but I could see it - especially how the other ISA members have been dropping like flies all season.

Icicle's death I have a problem with. I didn't like that they played it for a joke, I didn't quite buy that he could have been taken out like that since he survived a rocket punch from STRIPE and Hourman struggled with killing Grundy, Yolanda killing Brainwave was treated like a big deal, but Mike killing someone is handled like nothing? I hope there are some repercussions to that. I was honestly annoyed by Mike all season, but if they keep him on this path of going between glib and whiny, I'm going to downright hate him next season.

I did not fall for the Joel McHale tease earlier when they introduced Courtney's father, but they totally got me at the end, because I thought that was Courtney's father in the convertible at first.

I figured Shiv was going to kill her father, but the Eclipso thing was a surprise. Does Eclipso have any JSA history??

So, the Thunderbolt pen is still sitting in Courtney's room (I'm surprised Pat didn't do an inventory after he found the dufflebag, but whatever....) and the GL Lantern is ... in her closet?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I figured Shiv was going to kill her father, but the Eclipso thing was a surprise. Does Eclipso have any JSA history??
    He killed Yolanda and Beth's comic counterparts in a poorly written storyline ("Lets attack at night!"). Her cousin the tried to trap and harness Eclipso's power as punishment, but that...didn't take.

I'm honestly surprised its taken this long for Eclipso to show up. Of all the major DCU villains, I'd think that he would require the least amount of effort to depict (elf ears and some make-up) and most gravitas (pissed off demon of vengeance).

Guess its a good thing Legends didn't get him first

Icicle's death I have a problem with. I didn't like that they played it for a joke, I didn't quite buy that he could have been taken out like that since he survived a rocket punch from STRIPE and Hourman struggled with killing Grundy, Yolanda killing Brainwave was treated like a big deal, but Mike killing someone is handled like nothing? I hope there are some repercussions to that. I was honestly annoyed by Mike all season, but if they keep him on this path of going between glib and whiny, I'm going to downright hate him next season.
    I think it's been shown before that the Cosmic Staff is effective against him, and right before he got hit after taking a full blast from Courtney he really didn't look like he was in good shape.

And, again, I don't think Icicle's actually dead. I feel like they might be able to revive him if they put the pieces of him back together again (assuming anyone picked it all up). I think the only member of the ISA Johns explicitly confirmed dead in a post-finale interview was Brainwave.
    I did not fall for the Joel McHale tease earlier when they introduced Courtney's father, but they totally got me at the end, because I thought that was Courtney's father in the convertible at first.
    I thought it was her dad at first too, and he was going to sell information on Courtney to whoever was buying the locket.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He killed Yolanda and Beth's comic counterparts in a poorly written storyline ("Lets attack at night!"). Her cousin the tried to trap and harness Eclipso's power as punishment, but that...didn't take.
    And I think said cousin is her brother now, so...
    I'm honestly surprised its taken this long for Eclipso to show up. Of all the major DCU villains, I'd think that he would require the least amount of effort to depict (elf ears and some make-up) and most gravitas (pissed off demon of vengeance).

Guess its a good thing Legends didn't get him first
    I definitely trust this show with Eclipso more than I would with Legends. Remember when people thought Malus was the Time Trapper? Ha .

Fantastic Member

One line would have made it a lot clearer, but Brainwave must have been weakened since the purpose of his subterfuge was to find out where the others were. He somehow couldn't find them on his own with his powers. His death by her hands was surprising, but I could see it - especially how the other ISA members have been dropping like flies all season.

So, the Thunderbolt pen is still sitting in Courtney's room (I'm surprised Pat didn't do an inventory after he found the dufflebag, but whatever....) and the GL Lantern is ... in her closet?
    My point exactly... the writing was totally uneven in this finale after what they had established so far in the series. This is one of the best comic shows I have seen but I hope one day we will see one that doesn't suffer consistent at least with power levels (that they have established) writing.

Yeah, Grundy's defeat definitely was a team effort.

He first effortlessly slapped Rick away, only after Pat did soften him up a bit and he got a sucker punch in, the tides turned.

So does Courtney's costume come with an internal heating system?

spoilers:
    Why would "Henry" referring to the others as "her friends" set off a red flag? Henry never considered them his friends.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-11-2020 at 11:34 AM.