Page 60 of 187 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hehe, as others have said, that was strictly to save his own skin. Sand sought to use that time to reach Junior to convince him to change, and he laughed Sand off.

I'd also point out that in the comics, Junior and Senior never really knew one another, and hated the other. That dynamic certainly hasn't carried over.
    And Jr. never had much of an artistic bent in the comics.

Ultimate Member

In the comics, there's a trend that attractive lady villains seem more likely to pull a Catwoman/Harley Quinn/Killer Frost/Poison Ivy/etc. and end up not-really-good-guys-but-frenemies-with-benefits with the good guys.

We're not far enough in to the show to label it a trend, but it almost seems like the opposite could be happening here, with Icicle Jr. and Brainwave Jr. being set up for possible 'not-so-bad' arcs (and Magician Jr. coming off the most sympathetic of them all, before his death), while Dragon King's daughter and Sportsmaster/Tigresses daughter seem the least likely to Face Turn (Shiv being the only one who seems completely aware of her dad's evil nature).

On the one hand, it would get old fast if all the rival girls are irredeemably evil and all the cute boys can be saved by the power of lurve, but on the other hand, it would amuse me to see the shoe on the other foot after seeing so many lady villains get saved from a life of crime by the magic D of Batman or Daredevil or whomever.

I think Brainwave Jr. is the only one I see making a turn for good because his comic incarnation did the same.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Brainwave Jr. is the only one I see making a turn for good because his comic incarnation did the same.
    Same. Plus, after the first fight caused by misunderstanding, his powers would enable him to cut through his parent's BS pretty quick.

"You say you're the good guys? Brain scan shows me how many people you've murdered this week."

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In the comics, there's a trend that attractive lady villains seem more likely to pull a Catwoman/Harley Quinn/Killer Frost/Poison Ivy/etc. and end up not-really-good-guys-but-frenemies-with-benefits with the good guys.

We're not far enough in to the show to label it a trend, but it almost seems like the opposite could be happening here, with Icicle Jr. and Brainwave Jr. being set up for possible 'not-so-bad' arcs (and Magician Jr. coming off the most sympathetic of them all, before his death), while Dragon King's daughter and Sportsmaster/Tigresses daughter seem the least likely to Face Turn (Shiv being the only one who seems completely aware of her dad's evil nature).

On the one hand, it would get old fast if all the rival girls are irredeemably evil and all the cute boys can be saved by the power of lurve, but on the other hand, it would amuse me to see the shoe on the other foot after seeing so many lady villains get saved from a life of crime by the magic D of Batman or Daredevil or whomever.
    If Artemis or Shiv turn good on this show I doubt it will be over a boy.

I'll give my full thoughts later but this was a pretty good follow up. This show has gotten better every week, didn't know what to expect but I'm enjoying it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If Artemis or Shiv turn good on this show I doubt it will be over a boy.
    I agree, not for the least of which reasons being that I can't imagine anyone changing their mind about anything because of that Hourman Jr. jerk.

Seriously though, jerkish acts by their parents seem more likely to turn them against them, though not necessarily to good...

spoilers:
    I'm not much of a tactical genius, but I expected Beth to come up with a better idea than going to the house of the girl who put Courtney in the hospital
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm not much of a tactical genius, but I expected Beth to come up with a better idea than going to the house of the girl who put Courtney in the hospital
    end of spoilers.
    Well to be fair, at least it was for recon, not an outright attack like Rick wanted to do.
    spoilers:
    Courtney busting into Cindy's house in full on attack mode while still recovering from injuries from their last fight
    end of spoilers was a LOT more stupid

spoilers:
    And Cindy knows. Or at least she figured it out last episode.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    And Cindy knows. Or at least she figured it out last episode.
    end of spoilers

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I found this episode to be cringey. Mostly because the teenage stupidity is on display a lot more in this episode.

Wasn't Shiro Ito a yellow prevail villain from the golden age? I like made this golden age villain the identity for a modern-ish villain. Dating back to WW2? Man, this show will eventually need to address the ages of the JSA and ISA.

I'm curious about the tapes in Brianwave's secret room. If I happen to guess he was probably monitoring all the stages in Henry's life to determine when his powers would manifest.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Great episode again.

Cliff notes of my thoughts:

Beth found herself some usefulness, fleeting as it was.

Luke Wilson continues to absolutely kill it in his role.

Brainwave Jr is about to make his appearance but will he be on the side of the villains or the angels? I think the villains at first as he will learn that Stargirl put his dad in a coma, but then he will change things up when he realizes what the ISA is really all about. That is going to be the thing that helps this kids beat this trained team of villains, they are going to beat themselves either by someone defecting (Henry) or infighting (as we already know Sports/Tigress don't like the Gambler).

What was Courtney going to do if she took down Cindy? Cindy hadn't committed a crime at that point that she could be charged with without having to wade into a bunch of stuff I would think Court would want to avoid since it would pertain to her secret ID.

Great growth stuff with Mike and Courtney and even with Barbara and Pat as Barbs knows something is up and you can see it start to affect her as well as affecting Pat having to keep the secret.

The parallels between Cindy and Courtney are great. And as some people have said, she is probably going to get reprogrammed and thus Courtney's ID is safe from her, but Henry will know it.

Continues to be a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I found this episode to be cringey. Mostly because the teenage stupidity is on display a lot more in this episode.

Wasn't Shiro Ito a yellow prevail villain from the golden age? I like made this golden age villain the identity for a modern-ish villain. Dating back to WW2? Man, this show will eventually need to address the ages of the JSA and ISA.

I'm curious about the tapes in Brianwave's secret room. If I happen to guess he was probably monitoring all the stages in Henry's life to determine when his powers would manifest.
    I assume as you do, he was monitoring Henry.

Ito I figure can be old as they want him to be considering he has experimented on himself plenty to make him the way he is. But some of the others, yeah, they need to be addressed since the OG Midnight's age has been placed waaaay up there. All they need is some throw away line about a mission or something affecting them in some way to keep them younger, or something with Fate or anything really. I know there are comic book reasons why the JSA was still young, but if they don't want to go get into all that, there are other creative ways I would think.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Great episode again.

Cliff notes of my thoughts:

Beth found herself some usefulness, fleeting as it was.

Luke Wilson continues to absolutely kill it in his role.

Brainwave Jr is about to make his appearance but will he be on the side of the villains or the angels? I think the villains at first as he will learn that Stargirl put his dad in a coma, but then he will change things up when he realizes what the ISA is really all about. That is going to be the thing that helps this kids beat this trained team of villains, they are going to beat themselves either by someone defecting (Henry) or infighting (as we already know Sports/Tigress don't like the Gambler).

What was Courtney going to do if she took down Cindy? Cindy hadn't committed a crime at that point that she could be charged with without having to wade into a bunch of stuff I would think Court would want to avoid since it would pertain to her secret ID.
    I keep wondering about what the next step is for all of the JSA, if they win. I mean, if they beat the ISA, is there a prison strong enough to hold them?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Good news and bad news. Good news is that the show has been renewed for a second season. Bad news it's CW only
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...n-2-cw-1301946

I gotta brace myself for the quality drop when season 2 rolls around.

I thought it was funny how even in an emergency situation, the teens texted each other rather than actually y'know, call and talk on the phone, even when Court was getting no response.

That sequence of Cindy being dragged underground was pretty creepy and well executed.

I wonder what happens when Dragon King takes off his hood -- is he like Johnny Sorrow? Or like a basilisk where you're frozen if you see him? Or is that just a common threat because he's so disturbing to look at? "Eat your veggies or I'll show you my horrible visage!!"

I like how fast-paced this whole thing is so far. They really don't dwell on too many situations or drag out confrontations for the most part.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-06-2020 at 11:05 AM.