Page 63 of 187 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, is it a guarantee that just being on the CW is going to drastically change the budget and the production?
    Supergirl got a budget drop when it jumped to the CW. A couple of actors didn't return as they didn't want to make the move to Vancouver to film the show.

Astonishing Member

Well, I'm glad to hear it's getting a second season somewhere. I am a bit concerned in regards to the budget for effects and cast (Luke Wilson probably doesn't come cheap). But then, I was always a bit puzzled as to how they had that kind of money to spend anyway. I mean, this show is on an rather niche streaming service. How many paying subscribers can they really have? Heck, I've been going into this with the assumption that DC Universe might not be long for this world anyway. Or at least the streaming video part will fall away and it will just become a digital comics service.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Sadly, I think you're right. I was hoping Stargirl would get picked up by HBOMax or Netflix.
    Netflix would be a better fit. Honestly, the show is too good for the CW's brand of bland TV.

Maintaining secret identities can be a messy business. They should probably come clean now before things get even more complicated.

Beth finally steps up and plays the voice of reason for the team, fitting for Dr. Mid-Nite. Of course, going up straight to their house with no deep plan wasn't smart, but at least the effort was there.

The show almost had me fooled with Cindy's talk with Courtney before she mentioned the Staff. Cindy seemed so genuine, and might really have been, but she was just buttering up Courtney for the reveal. These two are shaping up to be compelling rivals.

Is there no particular reason Pat couldn't have been Beth's biological dad? As far as I'm aware bi-racial kids can still be darker-skinned.

AI!Charles McNider commenting on how Pat's put on a few pounds since they last saw each other .

So there are no records of Cindy's stepmom anywhere? Who is this woman and how exactly did she end up with Ito and his daughter? She seems to act like she had a life before she got roped into being Cindy's handler, more or less, but there's no record of her existence.

Cindy was sloppy letting a picture of her dad when he still looked human hanging around in her room. I get she probably wanted to know what he looked like before he made himself what he is now, but that's leaving crucial evidence behind that could be used to figure out Ito is Dragon King. Granted, she probably didn't think anyone would have hi-tech goggles that would've been able to do all the research in a split-second after seeing the picture. It also seems like Pat knew who Ito was just from the picture.

I was surprised to see Cindy call her stepmom "mom," especially when she was in her room and was sure there was no one there.

What is it about Pat Dugan that he attracts housewives of Supervillains?

Hank having the appropriate reaction to realizing he has telepathy and his dad was secretly a Supervillain working for a team of Supervillains bent on destroying a team of Superheroes in a secret war going on in Blue Valley.

Icicle's transformation FX are so cool. I think he looks better then Iceman did in the X-Men movies.

Well, at least the Staff listened to Pat enough to resist Courtney for five seconds before she talks it into going with her.

Courtney apparently didn't learn anything from her beatdown and still rushes into a fight with Shiv that she can't win. Shiv didn't even have her weapon and she still had Courtney on the ropes. If it wasn't for Brainwave Jr. she might be dead. The worst part is the fight didn't even need to happen because the rest of the team got out of there long before Courtney showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I wonder what happens when Dragon King takes off his hood -- is he like Johnny Sorrow? Or like a basilisk where you're frozen if you see him? Or is that just a common threat because he's so disturbing to look at? "Eat your veggies or I'll show you my horrible visage!!"
    He's a dragon, so maybe he can breathe fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Didn’t it do so for Supergirl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Supergirl got a budget drop when it jumped to the CW. A couple of actors didn't return as they didn't want to make the move to Vancouver to film the show.
    But we don't know enough to assume this is going to be a Supergirl situation. All we know is it's just going to air exclusively on the CW (which it already is) not that they're going to completely change the production.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I thought it was funny how even in an emergency situation, the teens texted each other rather than actually y'know, call and talk on the phone, even when Court was getting no response.

That sequence of Cindy being dragged underground was pretty creepy and well executed.

I wonder what happens when Dragon King takes off his hood -- is he like Johnny Sorrow? Or like a basilisk where you're frozen if you see him? Or is that just a common threat because he's so disturbing to look at? "Eat your veggies or I'll show you my horrible visage!!"

I like how fast-paced this whole thing is so far. They really don't dwell on too many situations or drag out confrontations for the most part.
    Thats just how modern teens act, I know it sounds/looks ridiculous but it's a real thing.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Good news and bad news. Good news is that the show has been renewed for a second season. Bad news it's CW only
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...n-2-cw-1301946

I gotta brace myself for the quality drop when season 2 rolls around.
    I know DCU's time is running out but damn

I want to be optimistic but I seen too many CW shows
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The show almost had me fooled with Cindy's talk with Courtney before she mentioned the Staff. Cindy seemed so genuine, and might really have been, but she was just buttering up Courtney for the reveal. These two are shaping up to be compelling rivals.
    I saw this as legit respect. I assume that Cindy thinks that courtney had been training to replace her Dad (starman) all her life like she has to take her place in the ISA. Like when she mentioned about their dads. I figure in her whacked out brain a worthy adversary is as close to a friend as there is.

Like many of you I have concerns over what the budget might be if it becomes a CW only show. There are however reasons to be optimistic that it will remain as is.

1. Already with a decent percentage of the shows viewers watching it elsewhere its close tl the top rated shows on the CW.
    2. They know there is potentially another 30% (or so) of viewers they will/could pick up from it being exclusive to them.
    3. They would have to know that audience elsewhere is expecting a certain quality.

That means its a good revenue maker as many advertisers would be willing to pay more for a show that has a stonger audience in the late teens to early 30s demographic. That demographic typically spends a larger portion of their disposable income (less likely to have dependants, mortgages, etc). Since they want those numbers they are more likely to pay the right price for the revenue that the show can generate (which is a revenue greater than Supergirl showed from CBS with its numbers)

Sportsmaster (Neil Hopkins) doesn't think the move is going to change anything:

Fantastic Member

Sportsmaster (Neil Hopkins) doesn't think the move is going to change anything:

Don't believe that... this show has an edginess and cursing which will probably be taken out. And if it has a flash type budget and or the bad writing that show has devolved into I am out. Also, can Courtney stop running head first into a wall? How many times must she get beat before she stops...the problem is even with training I still see her losing to most villains with powers which makes her more of a sidekick then someone who should have the title of a show...unless that's the point.

It was nice while it lasted but going to the CW is a major downgrade.

It'd been like Marvel putting the Netflix shows on Freeform.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Don't believe that... this show has an edginess and cursing which will probably be taken out. And if it has a flash type budget and or the bad writing that show has devolved into I am out. Also, can Courtney stop running head first into a wall? How many times must she get beat before she stops...the problem is even with training I still see her losing to most villains with powers which makes her more of a sidekick then someone who should have the title of a show...unless that's the point.
    I don't know if I'd agree with that. I don't think any of the content so far has really been all that more excessive then what we generally see on Cable shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was nice while it lasted but going to the CW is a major downgrade.

It'd been like Marvel putting the Netflix shows on Freeform.
    Would it matter if the Netflix shows were still the exact same?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Doesnt have any worse cursing than any other network show. Unless i missed it i dont think there has even been an s-bomb.

As for the budget, yeah I am waiting on more news of that. The show was not made by the CW studio folks, unless i am mistaken, so ppl assuming there will be no quality or money drop off are deluding themselves. My only hope is they stay at 13 episodes. Maybe 15 or 16 max like BL and Legend, anything more than that would be a disaster.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The idea of putting anything on network TV in 2020 is pretty astounding to me. The already small audience who tunes in to a weekly show on a real niche network like the CW with commercials and what not must be rapidly declining to the point of not existing at all.

On a brighter note, yet ultimately bittersweet, this week's episode was great. The Shiv 2 parter really knocked it out of the park. Gimme that homerun for the home team.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-07-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Doesnt have any worse cursing than any other network show. Unless i missed it i dont think there has even been an s-bomb.

As for the budget, yeah I am waiting on more news of that. The show was not made by the CW studio folks, unless i am mistaken, so ppl assuming there will be no quality or money drop off are deluding themselves. My only hope is they stay at 13 episodes. Maybe 15 or 16 max like BL and Legend, anything more than that would be a disaster.
    Does just airing exclusively on the CW automatically mean there's going to be a change in the budget?