Page 153 of 187 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2791
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Yeah gotta admit, McNider looks way too young to have been active since 1941 as per the bio the goggles showed us last year they didn't even grey his hair or have it parlty grey. The dude looks like he's in his 40s tops ( more likely late 30s).

Ted Grant looked more like 50s, as did Jay and Rex honesty so far has looked at most mid 30s. But none of them have been given a confirmed starting time frame for their hero career (as per Star Spangled kid and Stripsey) so they they could have all started in the 80s or 90s. That would be consistent with them being 40 to 50 in 2010.
    Pinpointing the time period when Eclipso killed Rebecca could help determine the ages of the JSA members. The caption said it was "decades ago". Rebecca and her mother looks seems out of the 50s.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Pinpointing the time period when Eclipso killed Rebecca could help determine the ages of the JSA members. The caption said it was "decades ago". Rebecca and her mother looks seems out of the 50s.
    Well, the Star Spangled Kid was around in the '90s, so adult Starman couldn't have been at Rebecca's funeral in the '50s (at least without a mountain of explanation for it ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I very much doubt we are going to ever get anything pinpointed. I suspect that the reference to Mdnite being active in the JSA since 41 in a bio that the goggles showed was only there as a carrot for JSA fanboys. If you think about it, it wasnt vocalised or made obvious it was a part of on screen info that only a die hard fan would pause long enough to actually be able to capture all the details.

The way I see it that is the only way we will get any comic related time line references. It's to appease those of us old fans without dragging the show into the too hard to believe range for new audiences.

That's why the captions and headings on news articles, and images in pictures presence of vehicles points to a different era.

They're trying to have their cake and eat it too

They're trying to have their cake and eat it too
    They're trying to, but as a fan who was reading about the JSA as far back as '76, it's slightly annoying. I like Easter eggs like everyone else, but not if they're contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Black Out Bombs.
    Yeah, but how would blackout bombs be responsible for him not aging (as Immortal Weapon suggested). I was talking of physical powers. (But now that I think of it, his ability to see in the dark came from his goggles, right?)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that the goggles once showed McNider as having been born in 1912. Could that be right?

Sandy
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall that the goggles once showed McNider as having been born in 1912. Could that be right?

Sandy
    Who knows? There have been no flashbacks stating they were around 70- or 80-something years ago.

Yeah, but how would blackout bombs be responsible for him not aging (as Immortal Weapon suggested). I was talking of physical powers. (But now that I think of it, his ability to see in the dark came from his goggles, right?)
    No his ability to see in the dark came from how his eyes were damaged by a bomb. He was bombed by the mob when he as patching up a snitch they had shot. It left him blinded. While recuperating his window was smashed by an owl (who became hooty) he tore off his bandages and realised he could see in the dark.
    His goggles were to block out visible light so he could see during the day.

Sandy
    Yes they showed in in his bio that he was 1912-2010 and active in thebJSA since 1941. It doesn't seem consistent with his apparent age. Even if we assume that he didn't age in the shadow lands he looks to be in his 40s. I suppose you could say 50s since the actor is 50. That would make his birth 1960 odd to be 50 in 2010 when he entered the shadowlands.

Now of course they could have the whole ragnorak storyline in their history, and the Ian Karkull life energy absorbed. My guess the reason they keep it ambiguous in the more obvious ways is to not be overtly specific about dates so they don't have to cover the whys

Incredible Member

You can't get lost in the technicalities about aging with superheroes.
    The founders of the JSA are a little bit old, but not too the point where they
    can't fight evildoers and engage in superhero activity.

Dr. Mid-nite is therefore older than the younguns, which is about where we have to leave it.
    It is not the kind of thing you can resolve rationally.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    They're trying to, but as a fan who was reading about the JSA as far back as '76, it's slightly annoying. I like Easter eggs like everyone else, but not if they're contradictory.
    But that's just it, they're not being contradictory. By being obtuse about a time period in overt means (decades ago) they specifically aren't giving a defined time frame.

The result is that they are setting it up so a casual viewer can decide on the time line as it suits them.

The way they put it in Mcnider's bio given from the goggles of actually being specific was a format that only someone who would pause the screen to read all the data would see. That type of viewer isn't a casual TV watcher. That is a viewer who is invested innthe material. In short it's the type of viewer who is either well invested and knowledgeable on the source material and therefore already aware of all the plot contrivances developed to explain how that is possible OR it's the type of viewer invested enough to do a lot of research who will find out all about said plot contrivances from the comics.

The result is the casual viewer can watch and believe it goes how it makes sense for them without taking up major screen time to explain all these complicated plots. Meanwhile the invested viewer who wants to see an authentic JSA or wants to learn about said autjentic JSA still getnto see the story that way with the more hidden Easter eggs

Incredible Member

I'm one of the hardcore JSA fans. There are a bunch of us out there.

But I don't really think these little bits of trivia, easter eggs if you will really do much.
    They become sort of meh OK kind of moments. I care more about them being accurate
    about McNider's character, the history of the JSA being respected. I think the show is
    doing well with those two items, so I'm OK with a few liberties. But year of birth?
    That really isn't something I'm going to fixate about.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

But I don't really think these little bits of trivia, easter eggs if you will really do much.
    They become sort of meh OK kind of moments. I care more about them being accurate
    about McNider's character, the history of the JSA being respected. I think the show is
    doing well with those two items, so I'm OK with a few liberties. But year of birth?
    Likewise. Have been a mad fanboy of the JSA and what later became known as the All Star Squadron for decades. We didn't get DC original comics much down under before COIE because of protection laws, so I grew up reading a handful of Australian reprinted Anthology comics that were black and white. The only colour comics I got as a kid were second hand from book exchanges and they were tattered copies of Golden Age comics that had probably been owned by a handful of people before me.

So grew up loving Alan Scot, Dr Fate, Hourman, Starman, Jay Garrick Flash, Johnny Quick, (over at MLJ Black Hood, Shield, Comet, Hangman) etc. The only title of JSA I ever dropped was that one by Guggenhiem because he totally stuffed up on how the characters would act. The mere Idea that Jay would advocate killing a child while Alan wouldn't. When the way the characters were actually portrayed in the GA was the complete opposite. Alan killed the guys who cause the accident that killed his friends on the train, he allowed another bad guy to fall to his death an issue or 2 later in All Amercan. Jay absolutely wouldn't

That's probably the only issue I have to date with the show, Sylvester wouldn't have been on of the characters who would have advocated killing Bruce Gordon. Ted and Rex yes and Jay was 100% correct portrayal of stance. So this far that is my one and only bug bare, that and how Syl treated Pat. Ted's treatment of Pat was consistent with how he treated Paowergirl, and Syl (the super squad of the 70s revival)

But that's just it, they're not being contradictory. By being obtuse about a time period in overt means (decades ago) they specifically aren't giving a defined time frame.

The result is that they are setting it up so a casual viewer can decide on the time line as it suits them.

The way they put it in Mcnider's bio given from the goggles of actually being specific was a format that only someone who would pause the screen to read all the data would see. That type of viewer isn't a casual TV watcher. That is a viewer who is invested innthe material. In short it's the type of viewer who is either well invested and knowledgeable on the source material and therefore already aware of all the plot contrivances developed to explain how that is possible OR it's the type of viewer invested enough to do a lot of research who will find out all about said plot contrivances from the comics.

The result is the casual viewer can watch and believe it goes how it makes sense for them without taking up major screen time to explain all these complicated plots. Meanwhile the invested viewer who wants to see an authentic JSA or wants to learn about said autjentic JSA still getnto see the story that way with the more hidden Easter eggs

Just for the record, I didn't pause the screen to see that McNider was born in 1912. It was on the screen long enough for me to see it. I was a little surprised at how old he is supposed to be.
    Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post

No one would fixate about it if they didn't put it right in front of our eyes.
    Sandy Hausler