Page 21 of 187 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    While I expect some drama (she is in high school and stuck at the "unpopular kids" table), this show doesn't feel as "heavy" as the other CW DC series thus far. Like there is drama and stakes, but it also has light-hearted tone overall. Even Starman's death in episode 1 had some comedy to it.
    I'm getting Flash season 1 vibes.

Okay just watched the second episode and this may have been answered already but I havnt read the thread because I didnt want spoilers. But who was the man talking to Icicle at the end? Is the gym owner the Sportsman or a son or something. Because thats just the vibe I get.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Okay just watched the second episode and this may have been answered already but I havnt read the thread because I didnt want spoilers. But who was the man talking to Icicle at the end? Is the gym owner the Sportsman or a son or something. Because thats just the vibe I get.
    The man talking to Icicle was Steven Sharpe aka The Gambler. He's the Chief Financial Officer of The American Dream, a sort of nebulous Chamber of Commerce like organization where Courtney's mother works (there was a scene showing him there in the DC Universe version of the ep that I think was cut from the CW airing). The gym owner is the Sportsmaster, Larry "Crusher" Crock.

SportsMaster that is who I meant. thanks.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

Episode 3 is good...I just don't buy some of the writing regarding flash, dr.fate, and lantern being destroyed...though they don't mention it directly in this episode. Stargirl's vigor is a bit annoying as she is underpowered to take on any of these villans but does so anyway leading to a consequence she seems to shrug off...I guess we are getting a Jakeem thunder? I just don't see midnite, hellcat, and hourman (if thunder comes in then maybe) still being able to take on the villians left as they are all under powered...hope this doesn't turn into the run aways.

Astonishing Member

Hey guys! I learned how to do spoiler tags right! Anyway, about episode 3:

spoilers:
    1) For some reason, Icicle's dying wife is even scarier than he is. Maybe the way she said "destroy them".

2) Knowing how high school is, the fact that the Wizard's dorky magician son wasn't also at the "losers table" makes it clear that popularity in this school is decided by who's related to who.

3) Courtney desperately needs to develop some sense of her own mortality. She's definitely giving off a "dying is for other people" type of vibe.

4) So, we meet Icicle Jr. who seems to be kind of a good-looking, brooding artist type. Considering how he painted flowers on Yolanda's locker to cover up the more inflammatory graffiti.

5) So, it seems Yolanda is being ostracized and slut-shamed for going out on one date with Brainwave's son.

6) And they killed the Wizard's son. And also killed off the Wizard. Wow. It does drive home how ruthless Icicle is, but it also feels like kind of waste. Hey, since Wizard's magic, maybe something will resurrect him more powerful than before.

7) Pat's son Mike just seems to do whatever the hell he wants without caring about the consequences. Also, Blue Valley is apparently the last town in the U.S. that employs kids for newspaper delivery.

8) A surprise visit to the JSA headquarters allows Courtney to once again show off her amazing disregard for her own mortality. And apparently that of others too, because she goes back and steals a number of artifacts so she can recruit other heroes. Among them: GL's Lantern, Wildcat's headgear, Hourman's hourglass, Dr. Mid-Nite's helmet and goggles and the Thunderbolt pen. I think she almost stole Dr. Mid-Nite's owl too. I can guess what some of those are for. The pen is a surprise. I wonder if this means Jakeem is going to show up at some point. But what would she do with Alan Scott's lantern? Maybe it'll draw Alan out of retirement. Or maybe Todd Rice and Jennie Lynn Hayden are at her school and it'll respond to them somehow.
    end of spoilers

Okay, that's all I've got. It kind of tickles me that this show is so good while also being on the track to basically becoming Justice Society High.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Okay, that's all I've got. It kind of tickles me that this show is so good while also being on the track to basically becoming Justice Society High.
    I mean at this point the show should have been name JSA reborn or Infinity Inc or something. not that I am upset at the appearance of all the heroes that will be around. But you cant really call it a Star Girl show when there are so many heroes.

Astonishing Member

I mean at this point the show should have been name JSA reborn or Infinity Inc or something. not that I am upset at the appearance of all the heroes that will be around. But you cant really call it a Star Girl show when there are so many heroes.
    The focus does still seem to rest on Courtney. Also, the setting is very much Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. even if they don't use it the same way. Drawing from other stuff isn't exactly new for the DC shows, though. Usually, the show will kind of pick one genre fiction/comic book concept and then run with it. Arrow's was non-powered vigilantes and criminals. Supergirl's was aliens. Flash's was science gone awry. Heck, the first season of The Flash had an underlying subplot about what happened to Ronnie Raymond, so it was kind of Flash/Firestorm. Then, the second season drew a lot of its multiverse concepts ("Breachers", etc.) from the rather short Vibe series. So, it was kind of Flash/Vibe. The concept that Stargirl has chosen seems to be legacy. So, it makes sense that the legacy characters will have to show up. The fact that the majority of those legacy characters seem to be teenagers is what tickles me about it.

Edit: This forum is acting weird. It's censoring out when I type in - l i v e (without the spaces, mind you). Is - l i v e a swear word that I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 06-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Episode 3 is good...I just don't buy some of the writing regarding flash, dr.fate, and lantern being destroyed...though they don't mention it directly in this episode. Stargirl's vigor is a bit annoying as she is underpowered to take on any of these villans but does so anyway leading to a consequence she seems to shrug off...I guess we are getting a Jakeem thunder? I just don't see midnite, hellcat, and hourman (if thunder comes in then maybe) still being able to take on the villians left as they are all under powered...hope this doesn't turn into the run aways.
    I'm assuming Wildcat is metahuman and that Hourman will use the Miraclo drug or app or whatever they are using these days. Mid-Nite, though -- I don't know. A nerdy, chubby girl is going to need a lot of training and some great gimmicks -- aside from a blackout bomb and goggles that allow her to see in darkness.

Astonishing Member

Well, Supergirl, Arrow and Flash all did!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm assuming Wildcat is metahuman and that Hourman will use the Miraclo drug or app or whatever they are using these days. Mid-Nite, though -- I don't know. A nerdy, chubby girl is going to need a lot of training and some great gimmicks -- aside from a blackout bomb and goggles that allow her to see in darkness.
    The comic character was using a transdermal patch activated by a hidden button on one of his gauntlets. It's more powerful and faster activating than the pill was but has the same 'once a day, only works for one hour' limitation of the original.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fantastic Member

Regarding "Icicle"...

1) The fight scene was lackluster. Why did Icicle murder the Wizard's son? What did he hope to gain?

2) Brec Bassinger continues to be adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Regarding "Icicle"...

1) The fight scene was lackluster. Why did Icicle murder the Wizard's son? What did he hope to gain?

Maybe it was an accident? Seemed so spur of the moment/not premeditated. Or maybe he’s just an impulsive psychopath (not unlike Daredevil’s Bullseye) I can’t imagine it was to eliminate a power struggle. The Dad didn’t seem like a pushover per se, but it’s not like he challenged Iscle’s authority or anything.

Interesting take on having Icicle be from a family of immigrants and to see how that informs how he views America. Even the "Injustice Society" isn't about Injustice because they're generically evil but because they believe in fighting the injustices of America, at least in their own, probably very extreme, way. Did the government or country do something to Jordan's wife that led him to his path? Maybe it's also part of the origin for Icicle's powers?

We get confirmation that the Injustice Society is using Blue Valley as an experiment they're planning on replicating across the country. So it is their model of a "New America."

I didn't realize that was Icicle Jr. Courtney was starting to bond with until he said his name was Cameron. He knows about his dad's powers but did he know his dad was responsible for killing Joey? I'm assuming that once the new JSA beat the ISA Cameron is going to go full Icicle Jr. and recruit the Injustice Society kids to take on Courtney's JSA (well, except for Wizard Jr because he's kind of dead...).

We never found out what Mike got in trouble for, but I guess it was playing video games during school. Pat talking about playing at the arcade as a kid and forcing a paper route on Mike was priceless .

I'm starting to wonder if Steven/Gambler is going to try and kill Barbara because he's resentful Jordan is giving her so much priority over him.

Nothing more iconic then that Stargirl riding STRIPE scene .

I see Courtney hasn't learned that it's never smart to take on the final boss when you're only level 1/level 2.

I wonder how soon we'll see Stargirl go public. Joey was the only one who saw STRIPE but Courtney used the staff to obscure it so nobody saw anything.

I never thought I would feel so bad for The Wizard or his son .

I wonder if Zarick's wife will tell Pat about Jordan and Pat will put two and two together? Or at least try to investigate what happened to her family.

Seeing the JSA headquarters with team's gear and tapestries up was pretty epic...although were the Hawks the only members of the team who didn't get one? Could Pat or Rex not find anything left of them to put up a monument for?

Hooty!!! He lives! I love that not only are they doing Dr. Mid-Nite's owl but he has somehow survived 10 years after Mid-Nite died and will probably end up being Beth's owl. And the CG for him was actually pretty solid.

I loved that Pat really warned Courtney not to touch the pen, and we hear The Thunderbolt do it's little laugh when Courtney grabbed it.

So they had the Helment of Nabu, the pen to summon Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt, and Alan Scott's Battery...are we going to be seeing Hector Hall, Jakeem Thunder, and Jade pop up in Courtney's new JSA?

I get Courtney's heart is in the right place (even if she seems way too focused on the idea that Starman is her dad) but grabbing all the JSA's gear and then giving it to random people to take on the ISA seems like a terrible idea on-paper. And we know her best idea for a new team is to give it to a bunch of teenagers. I'm all for teen heroes but are we really expecting the team that beat seasoned, veteran, professional heroes in their prime to be taken down by teenagers with only a few weeks (if they're lucky) experience with their powers? I mean, even Courtney lucked into beating Brainwave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Regarding "Icicle"...

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Maybe it was an accident? Seemed so spur of the moment/not premeditated. Or maybe he’s just an impulsive psychopath (not unlike Daredevil’s Bullseye) I can’t imagine it was to eliminate a power struggle. The Dad didn’t seem like a pushover per se, but it’s not like he challenged Iscle’s authority or anything.
    I wasn't sure if it was an accident and he was trying to stop the truck or if he deliberately froze it knowing it would hit Joey. If it was intentional...I guess he was planning to kill Wizard because Jordan knew William's heart wasn't in it?

Since the topic of Jakeem was brought up, Cindy's best friend is named "Jenny Williams". I didn't think anything of it when I saw it before but maybe its a nod at Jakeem? Especially, since the pen was mentioned a lot last episode they're clearly gearing up for J.J Thunder and Thunderbolt.

She could be used as an entry point for Jakeem or, the least likely idea they genderswapped him (which I doubt).