Page 16 of 187 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I wish, but it seems unlikely.
    Ok...I might check it out but I’m still not sure. I’m much more a fan of Starman and the JSA than I am of Stargirl. Nothing against that character though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    So he goes by Starman in this show? That’s interesting. Do you think they’ll introduce other Starmen?
    Sly was Starman in the comics as well, and was the "heir" to Ted Knight before they introduced the characters of Jack and David Knight in the Starman series by Robinson. And that era seems to be where some of the series is drawing inspiration form in the dynamics of the Starman character-the show even mentions he got the rod and joined the JSA as Starman after he had already been a costumed hero as the Star Spangled Kid, so it is drawing on the comic Starman traditions.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Sly was Starman in the comics as well, and was the "heir" to Ted Knight before they introduced the characters of Jack and David Knight in the Starman series by Robinson. And that era seems to be where some of the series is drawing inspiration form in the dynamics of the Starman character-the show even mentions he got the rod and joined the JSA as Starman after he had already been a costumed hero as the Star Spangled Kid, so it is drawing on the comic Starman traditions.

-M
    Oh totally, I’m very aware of Pemberton’s role in the Starman mythos. But even though he is integral to the lore I don’t usually consider him as a version of Starman. Ted, Jack, Thom, Will Patton are usually who I think of. I don’t have an issue with him being Starman in this show. Just not sure if I’ll personally enjoy it

Astonishing Member

Oh totally, I’m very aware of Pemberton’s role in the Starman mythos. But even though he is integral to the lore I don’t usually consider him as a version of Starman. Ted, Jack, Thom, Will Patton are usually who I think of. I don’t have an issue with him being Starman in this show. Just not sure if I’ll personally enjoy it
    You know, they might explore the Starman history at some point, but right now that feels more like a Season 2 or Season 3 kind of thing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Episode 2 was much better. A lot to like!

durhamcs63

Sylvester was Star Spangled Kid until he changed his name to Skyman in Infinity Inc. Courtney received the Cosmic staff from Jack Knight. Systester got the cosmic rod from Ted Knight and then changed into the belt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by durhamcs63 View Post
    Sylvester was Star Spangled Kid until he changed his name to Skyman in Infinity Inc. Courtney received the Cosmic staff from Jack Knight. Systester got the cosmic rod from Ted Knight and then changed into the belt.
    welcome to the boards dude

Yeah, I’ve never really considered Pemberton in the same class as the others you mentioned. Star Spangled Kid, absolutely, but he just doesn’t seem to fit into the Starman role to me. (Yes, I’m aware of the comics history).
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by durhamcs63 View Post
    Yeah, they kind of had to condense some stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Episode 2 was much better. A lot to like!
    I agree. There is a lot to like. So far, I would say the series is good but not great. But, these first two episodes have given it a more than solid start - a firm foundation to build on!

I feel like they're setting up Courtney's main motivation being that she assumes her dad was Starman and is out for payback against the Injustice Society so that they can pull the rug out from under her and reveal her dad was really a deadbeat, so she has to learn to be a hero without needing her dad to be Starman.

The Wizard looks utterly unrecognizable without his goatee.

Something is definitely going on with the city, the Injustice Society is using it as an experiment. Icicle's "New America" makes me think there's some kind of brainwashing going on, or trying to turn the townsfolk into some kind of idealized and perfect American society by force or coercion.

Poor Pat. Even with a giant robot he's still only effective as a sidekick.

Apparently a striped shirt makes for an effective secret identity, which I guess is why no one in the Injustice Society puts it together that Pat Dugan was Stripesy.

So the Hawks and Johnny Thunder are presumed dead. 10 years is probably too soon for the Hawks to reincarnate into adult bodies. If Johnny's dead, did the Lightning Bolt jump to someone else (Jakeem Thunder)?

Hourman and his wife were killed in an "accident" in Blue Valley (I would not be surprised if the Injustice Society were behind it), leaving Rick an orphan. I'm guessing that'll motivate him to become the new Hourman. Maybe that's added reason why Courtney won't be Sylvester's kid because we don't need two members of the new JSA motivated by dead parents.

I'm glad that the Starman suit was high-spec enough that it tore through a high school's home ec equipment. At the same time...more instances of Courtney damaging property .

Look at the Crock's gushing over Artemis! It seems like they're an actually healthy and well-functioning family unit here, aside from the whole "parents are secretly Supervillains" thing.

Beth's mom is the doctor Chapel instead of her, which I guess is how she gets her medical knowledge to be the next Dr. Mid-Nite. Although, even by nerd standards, facetiming your parents during lunch at school is kind of desperate .

Courtney's mom and Beth's dad works for The Gambler, Pat is fitness pals with Sportsmaster (and Wizard's wife has a crush on him?), Beth's mom works for Brainwave (or did work for him)...this is a tangled web of heroes and villains being weaved in Blue Valley.

Brainwave was checking to see whether Jr. had his mental abilities...I wouldn't be surprised if he gains them and goes after Stargirl for what she did to his dad.

I kind of feel bad for Grundy that they've stuck him underground behind what's basically a cage, but then again, what else could you do with him?

I love how the Injustice Society had their own roundtable and portrait just like the JSA did. Because they absolutely had to copy everything the JSA did. They even had Grundy pose for it .

The Injustice Society portrait looks like it had Shade between Tigress and Sportsmaster and Fiddler next to Gambler (which I guess makes Isaac his son).
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    You know, they might explore the Starman history at some point, but right now that feels more like a Season 2 or Season 3 kind of thing.
    Pat mentioned Ted Knight built the Cosmic Staff and that there was a whole long story behind it, so I think there are plans to get to it at some point.

This might just be an AU where Sylvester went along with Ted's plan to make him the next Starman instead of becoming Skyman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like they're setting up Courtney's main motivation being that she assumes her dad was Starman and is out for payback against the Injustice Society so that they can pull the rug out from under her and reveal her dad was really a deadbeat, so she has to learn to be a hero without needing her dad to be Starman.
    Also, to show her that the dad she was looking for is the guy piloting the giant robot. Johns has said that the theme of Stargirl is that family comes from bond, not blood.

Beth's mom is the doctor Chapel instead of her, which I guess is how she gets her medical knowledge to be the next Dr. Mid-Nite. Although, even by nerd standards, facetiming your parents during lunch at school is kind of desperate .
    I still think she should just go by Mid-Nite or Midnight (spelling matters) until she's older and has a doctorate. Calling yourself a doctor when you're not sounds like a bad idea in practice. Beth seems like a nice, earnest, though terribly awkward girl. I actually feel bad for her in advance because I know what Dr. Mid-Nite's gimmick is. I know it's a TV show and not everything conforms to the comics. But let's be honest, there is a better than average chance that this girl will end up blind by the end of the season. Some sort of accident or attack will happen that'll give her that weird Dr. Mid-Nite blindness where she can't see anything in the light but can see in darkness.

The Injustice Society portrait looks like it had Shade between Tigress and Sportsmaster and Fiddler next to Gambler (which I guess makes Isaac his son).
    Maybe Fiddler Jr. will be a good guy.

Pat mentioned Ted Knight built the Cosmic Staff and that there was a whole long story behind it, so I think there are plans to get to it at some point.

This might just be an AU where Sylvester went along with Ted's plan to make him the next Starman instead of becoming Skyman.
    Could be. They seem to have a lot on their plate this season in Blue Valley, so I wouldn't expect to see Ted Knight or Mikaal Tomas or Prince Gavan or Will Payton or Opal City (possibly the geekiest city in the world) this season, though.

Now that I think about it, rather then reincarnation we might see the Hawks' legacy in Hector Hall, who becomes the new Dr. Fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I still think she should just go by Mid-Nite or Midnight (spelling matters) until she's older and has a doctorate. Calling yourself a doctor when you're not sounds like a bad idea in practice. Beth seems like a nice, earnest, though terribly awkward girl. I actually feel bad for her in advance because I know what Dr. Mid-Nite's gimmick is. I know it's a TV show and not everything conforms to the comics. But let's be honest, there is a better than average chance that this girl will end up blind by the end of the season. Some sort of accident or attack will happen that'll give her that weird Dr. Mid-Nite blindness where she can't see anything in the light but can see in darkness.
    It is kind of a tradition that every version of Mid-Nite ends up being blind...the powers kind of get emphasized that way, anyhow.
    Maybe Fiddler Jr. will be a good guy.
    Could be. Unless his mom embarassing him turns him into a Supervillain .

SPOILERS for Ep 2
    -- I enjoyed the whole sequence at the Open House where the various characters weaved in and out of the action and we caught little glimpses of all the characters and what they were up to - even all the things that won't pay off until later since non-comic book people will likely miss a lot of those bits. Loved the bit with Pat and the cookie (and how he was reduced to getting water from the fountain). The sequence, as light as it was, still had a super-heavy payoff when Brainwave and Courtney confront each other in the hallway.
    -- STRIPE looks pretty good! I like the absurd acronym that Courtney makes up that's almost like the comic book one. I wonder if they thought the real one was a bit goofy so made the whole thing a joke. (although Johns wrote both, so...)
    -- I was pretty surprised they didn't drag things out with Brainwave. Good for them - I guess having less than a full season necessitates moving things along.
    -- I doubt it means much, but Pat kept telling Courtney Starman wasn't her father, but when they're fighting and she says "My dad was 15 when you met him." He says, "That was different" rather than correct her.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- I doubt it means much, but Pat kept telling Courtney Starman wasn't her father, but when they're fighting and she says "My dad was 15 when you met him." He says, "That was different" rather than correct her.
    I think he just got tired of correcting her, and after seeing how adept she is with the Cosmic Staff he's willing to admit there might be a chance Sylvester was her dad.

But I think it's all ultimately a misdirect.