Page 12 of 187 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm glad we didn't actually see GL, Flash or Dr Fate taken out - I'm going to have to imagine the IL implemented some special weapon or something because the lineup we've seen shouldn't be able to take out a JSA with those three.
    I completely disagree. Yes Tigress, Icicle dont bring much to the table but Brainwave soloed the JSA in print many times.

In his retconned debut he soloed and took out the JSA on his own in All Star Squadron. Prior to engaging them he met the team and gave Spectre a TP push to go fight something else because "he wasnt quite ready to deal with him" he then took down the main team of the All Stars as well and was only stopped by Alan Scot going all out.

His earliest appearance in All Star he pretty much faced a line up that included Fate and Spectre and did well without aid.

In All Star 55 he also took onnthe entire JSA on his own including all in the line up from the premier plus Fate, Alan, PG. He separated them and fought them with his illusions all over the globe. He took out Fate and Alan with onenin South Africa IIRC and they were saved by Robin.

There were a few stories where he handled Alan alone.

There was also a period in the SA where the wizard led the injustice society and on his own was taking on the power houses. During that time he had a crystal he wore around his neck and had given up the top hat etc for a green cloak.

Grundy has also soloed Fate + Alan + Hourman since his body absorbs magic and was amped by it o. Showcase 55

I loved the first episode last night. I love that we saw some of the JSA in costume and fighting. But I do have one question. I thought Starman was Ted Knight. That is the only Starman I have ever read about. Is this guy a new Starman made for the show? Or is he a different character that I dont know about?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I completely disagree. Yes Tigress, Icicle dont bring much to the table but Brainwave soloed the JSA in print many times.

In his retconned debut he soloed and took out the JSA on his own in All Star Squadron. Prior to engaging them he met the team and gave Spectre a TP push to go fight something else because "he wasnt quite ready to deal with him" he then took down the main team of the All Stars as well and was only stopped by Alan Scot going all out.

His earliest appearance in All Star he pretty much faced a line up that included Fate and Spectre and did well without aid.

In All Star 55 he also took onnthe entire JSA on his own including all in the line up from the premier plus Fate, Alan, PG. He separated them and fought them with his illusions all over the globe. He took out Fate and Alan with onenin South Africa IIRC and they were saved by Robin.

There were a few stories where he handled Alan alone.

There was also a period in the SA where the wizard led the injustice society and on his own was taking on the power houses. During that time he had a crystal he wore around his neck and had given up the top hat etc for a green cloak.

Grundy has also soloed Fate + Alan + Hourman since his body absorbs magic and was amped by it o. Showcase 55
    If any of them are that powerful that just makes Stargirl fighting them worse. Not to mention the new kids. Of those three only Hourman will definitely have enhanced durability and might plausibility survive some fighting with what you described. Heck Stargirl doesn’t even have a force field. Even Brain Wave was so powerful she should have died last night.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I loved the first episode last night. I love that we saw some of the JSA in costume and fighting. But I do have one question. I thought Starman was Ted Knight. That is the only Starman I have ever read about. Is this guy a new Starman made for the show? Or is he a different character that I dont know about?
    This was The Star Spangled Kid. He was a sort of a kid hero character in the 1940s who had an adult sidekick (Stripsey). But in the 1970s they gave him Starman technology that allowed him to do Starman things. Like the Cosmic Belt. In the 1980s he was the leader of Infinity Inc., the generation of younger heroes on Earth 2.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This was The Star Spangled Kid. He was a sort of a kid hero character in the 1940s who had an adult sidekick (Stripsey). But in the 1970s they gave him Starman technology that allowed him to do Starman things. Like the Cosmic Belt. In the 1980s he was the leader of Infinity Inc., the generation of younger heroes on Earth 2.
    Thank you.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    During the 70s and 80s comics Ted Knight was semi-active, he was planning to retire.

(Jack and David weren’t created yet, but it’s retcon that David was at college and Jack was too rebellious at the time)

So Ted mentored and gave the cosmic rod to Sylvester the Star Spangled Kid. He converted it to a belt. While Sylvester never became StarMan he started to call himself Skyman.

There’s also a pretty big connection to Brainwave and his son to Sylvester they may use for the show but I spoil it for you unless you want me to PM you.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm curious who they are allowed to reference and who they aren't. We know they can't reference Green Lantern but they can reference Flash. I think the photo that she was holding was blurry for a reason. I'm also curious how long the JSA has been around in this universe. The opening suggested they'd been around for decades but the members we saw were fairly young. We saw Hawkman, Dr Fate, Flash, Wildcat, supposedly GL, Hourman, Dr Midnight. I'd be curious what the rules are and who they can and can't use and why. I doubt a character like Power Girl will be showing up, for instance.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Yes. Seeing Grundy gave that scene a bit more gravitas. I'm not sure what all members of the JSA were present, but if Fate and Lantern were present as well -- that should have tipped the scale in the JSA's favor. It did appear, though, that this was the most formidable that Wizard has ever been presented. He didn't even have powers in the Golden Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Did Wildcat die? Or was he knocked unconscious when he flew out the window?
    I guess the Wildcat from Arrow never happened, right? Or at least was totally different!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm curious who they are allowed to reference and who they aren't. We know they can't reference Green Lantern but they can reference Flash. I think the photo that she was holding was blurry for a reason. I'm also curious how long the JSA has been around in this universe. The opening suggested they'd been around for decades but the members we saw were fairly young. We saw Hawkman, Dr Fate, Flash, Wildcat, supposedly GL, Hourman, Dr Midnight. I'd be curious what the rules are and who they can and can't use and why. I doubt a character like Power Girl will be showing up, for instance.
    They can probably use Alan Scott as Sentinel? I did spot Hawkgirl with a helmet similar to Kenya's, but couldn't make out any other women. I guess they can't use Black Canary. Power Girl would be awesome. What about Fury who was created to take the place of Fury II's mother when Wonder Woman was removed from JSA retroactively.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

None of those villains would be a match for Alan Scott or Dr. Fate- so it makes sense they weren't in that opening scene.

I assume they can't use Alan Scott, but Dr. Fate might come into play later on. The entire new JSA can't just be the kids at her lunch table.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-20-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I hope we get some flashbacks to the original JSA at some point so that scene of them all dying isn't the last we see of them. At least it was more epic then some of the sendoffs they got in Legends of Tomorrow (better costumes too).

Pat Dugan...goes from being the adult sidekick to a teenager, to being the adult sidekick of an adult who treats him like a kid sidekick, to once again being the adult sidekick of a teenager, only this time in a giant robot. I'm glad they acknowledged Sylvester being the Star-Spangled Kid .

I feel like a lot of the plot is going to hinge on the Injustice Society not recognizing Stripesy. Did they completely forget about him after they killed the JSA? They must have known he got away from Grundy. And Brainwave has seen Courtney's face.

Was that a picture of Mary Pemberton in Brainwave's secret lair?

Courtney's dad was a deadbeat in the comics, but I wonder if they might try to connect him with Sylvester. Would they actually make her his dad? It seems like there's more going on to her being able to wield the staff then just pure fate.

I wonder if Courtney and Rick are going to bond over having shared parents who died in the Christmas Eve attack, if Courtney still thinks Starman was really her dad.

I see the Cosmic Rod takes after the Cloak of Levitation in being a traditionally non-sentient iconic item of a hero turned into a sentient pal.

I'm curious how long Pat has been planning to take the fight back to the Injustice Society since he had a whole giant robot built to help him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I assume they can't use Alan Scott, but Dr. Fate might come into play later on. The entire new JSA can't just be the kids at her lunch table.
    I think one of the promos mentioned Fate dying in the attack. The Helmet might be looking for a new host.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm curious how long Pat has been planning to take the fight back to the Injustice Society since he had a whole giant robot built to help him.
    I think the line outside the restaurant where he and Courtney's mom met when he is asked Why Nebraska and responds "I was looking for....something" combined with the markings and notes on the map Courtney found in the trunk in an indication Pat has been trying to track down the Injustice gang for a while now and his arrival in Blue Valley both now and when he met Barbara were not coincidental but purposeful.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I think the line outside the restaurant where he and Courtney's mom met when he is asked Why Nebraska and responds "I was looking for....something" combined with the markings and notes on the map Courtney found in the trunk in an indication Pat has been trying to track down the Injustice gang for a while now and his arrival in Blue Valley both now and when he met Barbara were not coincidental but purposeful.

-M
    A part of me wondered if he knew he was talking to Sportsmaster at the garage...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me wondered if he knew he was talking to Sportsmaster at the garage...

Me too. There was just enough awkwardness in the conversation to make it suspicious, yet it didn't seem like Sportsmaster knew Pat was Stripesy at all.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato