View Poll Results: Should Female Actors always be required to get into shape as the Male Actors

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

1 33.33%
  • Neutral on the matter

1 33.33%
    BANNED

Default Should Female Actors always be required to get into shape as the Male Actors?

The body image issue is usually a hot topic of controversy with a lot of sexism and misogynistic accusations, but is it also fair that it will be a lie for people to pretend that looking your best on screen does have an impact?

Men (male actors) are all required to shape up for roles, I cannot name one actor who has stared in a comic book or action film that has not hit the gym to get the arbs or the masculine body. I really cannot name one single actor, every actor gets into shape for a particular or certain role.

For me, it is fair to also demand the same thing for women, that they should get into shape for the role without been accused of been sexist or misogynistic, we don't use the same language for men so why do we do that for women.

I don't find that it is sexist or misogynistic that a studio wont let a woman who weighs more than 200 pounds to play wonder woman, I find that to be realistic in the world of show business and character physicality.

I think there need to be an honest discussion on how we discuss body image and calling out fat shamming, while at the same time expecting an actress to look a certain part to play a role in movies or in television.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Fridays; 01-16-2023 at 06:42 AM.

If we are only talking about superhero movies, what women were not in shape?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If you're playing a superhero, then you need to get into shape. If you're civilian supporting cast for a superhero, it's not as important.

Also it depends on the role. Namor? Wonder Woman? Yeah, you need to be really fit.

Kingpin? MODOK? Big Bertha? Not so much.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 01-16-2023 at 07:56 AM.

BANNED

it does not necessarily have to be a superhero film, it could be romcom, chick flick or science fiction. the truth is that in Hollywood, 90% of the time when the actress is overweight by studio standards, it is always part of the story line that she is. case example Bridget Jones or Shallow Hal.

truth is i dont support when women look way too thin or under weight or not even muscular enough, for instance I do agree that Gal Gadot needed to have had more muscle to make a better convincing wonder woman, however do i think an actor like queen Latifah would be the right part for wonder woman? may be.... but I will also request that she loose a lot of weight and this is what will get me into trouble since i would be accused of fat shaming but is it fair that I should be accuse of such?

The bodies men are currently building for superhero roles are not even realistically achievable by working out and healthy eating (none of the YouTube channels they do tell you what "supplements" to use lol) - that's easily as unhealthy and dangerous an ideal to project as women having to have anorexically slim bodies.

Depends on the role. There was an interview with Indian actor Saif Ali Khan. He felt actors should change for their part if their role requires it. But he put in a few caveats about the ability to do so as it's depends on how much time you have, whether getting really thin or fat is healthy. So I'll use his advice here.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-16-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Mark Ruffalo was ripped? I don't think so. Not so sure about Ant Man, either, other than that he was not fat. James Brolin didn't have to get in shape, I'm sure. Nick Fury wasn't ripped. Might have been fat. Russell Crowe was fat Zeus.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Invincible Member

Women in Hollywood having to confirm to a certain beauty standards or being told in order to get a certain role they have to lose weight or to even have a career get plastic surgery has been a thing since the beginning of Hollywood...

Incredible Member

The question is flawed on multiple levels. RDJ didn’t get ripped to play Iron Man so the premise that all male actors get in shape is wrong. Body suits with built in muscles are also a thing so it’s not even required unless your character shows a lot of skin.

We also don’t need to be encouraging impossible to maintain body types. Hugh Jackman stated the constant struggle to maintain that Wolverine physique as one of the reasons for not wanting to continue as the character.

If actors want to get in shape for a role then fine. It shouldn’t be forced on them. If you want an actor who looks the part then that is what the casting process is for.
    Last edited by HollowSage; 01-16-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If the role is physically demanding then yes, the actress should be fit.

Man or Woman if a superhero film and you can fit costume that's all that's needed.

Action or Sports movie Man or Woman as long as you look believable doing the action then you're good.

Everything else it doesn't matter.

Sammo Hung did very convincing action scenes in his shows and movies with his martial arts skills and he was over weight by many peoples standards.

If the actor can do the action required they do not have to be ripped.

If the movie heads want a ripper person then that is what they do casting for. Dont cast an out of shape person to play Superman then demand they lose weight.

But Hollywood casts these beautiful people and demands they look a certain way because that is what people want. Cast a romance movie with a man pushing 300 pounds like myself, or a larger woman. For the most part those movies will bomb. Aint no one watching a John Goodman movie for his shirt off love scenes.
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-16-2023 at 01:30 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Depends on the role. There was an interview with Indian actor Saif Ali Khan. He felt actors should change for their part if their role requires it. But he put in a few caveats about the ability to do so as it's depends on how much time you have, whether getting really thin or fat is healthy. So I'll use his advice here.
    I think this is the real, proper answer. See Daniel Day-Lewis and Robert De Niro for details.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Women in Hollywood having to confirm to a certain beauty standards or being told in order to get a certain role they have to lose weight or to even have a career get plastic surgery has been a thing since the beginning of Hollywood...
    I’m glad someone mentioned this.

Women in Hollywood have to get in shape? WTHis the OP claiming, that women in Hollywood aren’t starving themselves and the town isn’t the capital of eating disorders?

The whole premise of the thread is ridiculous.

This is going nowhere good, so I'm locking it.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!