Page 88 of 187 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2791

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

I get the budget will take a hit (though I do wonder how big the budget is now). But as long as the actors are willing to come back (do they currently film in Canada?), I'm sure the CW will find other things in the budget to slash. VFX will take a hit, and S.T.R.I.P.E. won't be seen as often. They will focus more on characters with less flashy powers- so more Sportsmaster, less Icicle.

For all the hand-ringing I'm hearing about how bad the show will look or be on the CW, remember that The Flash has lasted for 6 seasons so far, that that is an FX heavy show at times. Supergirl has done pretty good as well, at least to my eyes.
    From what I read a few months ago they spent 22.4 Mill on the 13 episodes. Thats about 1.7 million an episode. In actuality less since the pilot always cost more than any normal episode (set, and custume production all of which gets reused in later episodes).

The cost per episode of Arrow and Flash has always been 1.5- 2 million per episode. So Stargirl is already consistent with a CW budget.

Ratings wise they've been getting between 900,000 to 1.2 million viewers per episode. This mind you is on a show that airs on another platform before them. Based purely on the chatter on forum sites it appears that the numbers watching it on DCU are pretty close or not far behind those of the CW viewership. I base that on the amount of discussion after DCU air and after CW airing. Some sites like reddit have a live discussion thread for both and the numbers talking on the DCU live discussion arent far behind those of the CW. Add to that both here and on a few other comic sites I visit the number of users joining in after the CW airing is only marginally more than those after DCU airing.

So basically it costs about the same as the other CW DC shows do per episode but has the potential to give a 50 to 60% better viewership numbers (which translates into more revenue because you can charge more for adds during it.

That mind you is without the revenue either the production house or CW (if they pay totally for its production) can generate from further licensing. It will be aired here on fox 8 on the foxtel network starting the week after the finale airs. Which means next year (hopefully) I can drop the sunscription for my VPN, DCU, and the cost of maintaining a US account that I can pay for the latter with and the internation transaction fees for transfering to it just to watch it (every other DC show as well as the Marvel Hulu shows etc already airs on Fox 8, usually after the first season within days of airing in the US)

Without making any changes to budget it is potentially thier best current earner.

I read in one story that the premier of Stargirl got thier best premier numbers since Who's line is it anyway's debut in 2013

I suspect that is why it is CW exclusive next year. They probably did a deal to ensure they have exclusivity to get the better numbers. To do so they likely would have had to commit to a certain level of production budget.

Think about it, your the guy from Berlanti productions who negotiates the contracts with those who buy your companies productions. You currently have two media services in the same country paying for the rights to a show. There is only one reason why you sign a deal to give one of them exclusivity, that is IF that one offers to pay AT LEAST what you currently get from both. People having been talking about how SG dropped when it moved from CBS to CW. The Difference is that CBS was no longer willing to pay as much as they were for the show because the ratings were dropping. In that situation the new buyer has the power (demand and supply, only one demanding the show with its previous co tractor not willing to pay what it was, vs two currently paying for it so for one to get it equals they pay more)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the producers said they won't be moving away from Atlanta.
    If they're staying there, then I doubt anybody will jump ship now.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'll be really shocked if Luke Wilson sticks around on a network show, I mean MAYBE if his role is reduced.

People seem to think budget just equals VFX, but it is literally everything. From the sound mixer to the catering. If it takes a hit, it's going to take a hit.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-07-2020 at 05:42 AM.

I'm so excited for part 2 of STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E.! The 2 part SHIVA episode was my favourite, so I'm thinking this will be equally dope.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'll be really shocked if Luke Wilson sticks around on a network show, I mean MAYBE if his role is reduced.

People seem to think budget just equals VFX, but it is literally everything. From the sound mixer to the catering. If it takes a hit, it's going to take a hit.
    I thought it had a similar budget to typical CW series, but just fewer episodes to use it on.

And Luke Wilson really isn't "above" network TV, imo.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I thought it had a similar budget to typical CW series, but just fewer episodes to use it on.

Wasn't he on That 70's Show? Admittedly not in a regular capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post

He is definitely above the CW. He's a great actor who has done a dozen quality films. Even if his career isn't booming (he hasn't done a Wes Anderson flick in a good while), I could see him not wanting to be on network tv.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.

He is definitely above the CW. He's a great actor who has done a dozen quality films. Even if his career isn't booming (he hasn't done a Wes Anderson flick in a good while), I could see him not wanting to be on network tv.
    Why would he care about being on network TV? As long as he's getting paid the same and the budget/storyline are also not affected, I doubt he would care less.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Why would he care about being on network TV? As long as he's getting paid the same and the budget/storyline are also not affected, I doubt he would care less.
    The problem would be the salary, but typically network TV is a huge flight of stairs down careerwise. Especially in 2020 when television can be held to a much higher standard.

I think he'd care more about the cast, crew, and production staying relatively the same than where the show is airing.

The problem would be the salary, but typically network TV is a huge flight of stairs down careerwise. Especially in 2020 when television can be held to a much higher standard.
    But you're talking about content, which isn't appreciatively different on Stargirl than any of the DC programs that have appeared on the CW.

Incredible Member

I really don't think that's true anymore. Back in the day, yes- doing TV was seen as a huge step down and many actors felt it was a career killer. Now, many film actors are getting roles on tv, be it network or a streaming service. If Wilson is a fan of the property, and if they can keep giving him a good story to tell, he'll stick around.

Especially on the CW, who have shown their talent tremendous leeway in their schedules to pursue other rolls. Hell, they put Supergirl into a suit with a mask to allow Melissa to finish her Broadway run. They've had to accommodate Stephen Amell for wrestling. Willa Holland asked for a reduced schedule, and they found a way to make it (mostly) work. And Wilson can still film movies during the off season of the show, especially if it has a low episode count. Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland, Stephen Amell and Emily Bett-Rickards all filmed movies during the summer hiatus.

Astonishing Member

Plus if Wilson was "too good for TV", would he have taken this part? It's not like we are suggesting that he be cast as Pat Dugan with no reason to believe he'd take the role. Or suggesting he carry the role over from a feature film he did. He accepted the role when it was for the very show we are claiming he is too good for.

I can understand worrying the show might take a budget hit and he'll balk at a lower salary or arguing that an actual movie role might take precedence, but assuming he wouldn't want to stay on the show now that it isn't on a streaming service but just network TV I don't get.

Wilson talks about taking the role. Sure, some of this is just promotion, but some of it is sincere.

https://ew.com/tv/luke-wilson-dc-stargirl-interview/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!