Page 15 of 187 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought one of those girls was Artemis. I think an actress was confirmed to be playing her...
    Could it be the cheerleader who met and antagonized Courtney a little bit. The minute I saw her I thought she seemed like a teen version of Cheshire. But Cheshire's only connected to Sportsmaster and Tigress on the Young Justice cartoon. So, maybe she's Artemis.

Anyway, I got a DC Universe subscription. Partially to check out this one show and partially to see what else was on there. I was a little disappointed with DC Universe's library (they seemed to deliberately avoid shows and movies that got bad press on the internet. Come on DC Universe! Own your garbage and put up the Green Lantern movie and Batman Forever). But this show I really liked. It struck the right tone and got me interested to watch more. Some things like the future Infinitors being all at the same lunch table were cheesy, but I like my superheroes cheesy. Granted, some of my affection for this show may be nostalgia. I haven't been able to keep up with DC Comics for a while, so an increasing number of things in these productions are things I don't really recognize. I recognized a crap ton of stuff in this show. And it had the same feel as a quirky but upbeat late '90s/early 2000s comic book. Which makes sense because it's based on one (Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.). It has me almost wishing for more shows based on comics from that period. Like maybe an Impulse sitcom or a show based on Tom Peyer's Hourman.

Anyway, I was a little surprised to find that this was on the CW app. I cut the cord months ago and have been using mainly streaming and my own DVD/blu-ray collection for entertainment. Does anyone know if it will keep appearing on the CW app? Because I'm not feeling a pressing need to keep DC Universe after the one-week trial if I can watch Stargirl elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Could it be the cheerleader who met and antagonized Courtney a little bit. The minute I saw her I thought she seemed like a teen version of Cheshire. But Cheshire's only connected to Sportsmaster and Tigress on the Young Justice cartoon. So, maybe she's Artemis.

Anyway, I got a DC Universe subscription. Partially to check out this one show and partially to see what else was on there. I was a little disappointed with DC Universe's library (they seemed to deliberately avoid shows and movies that got bad press on the internet. Come on DC Universe! Own your garbage and put up the Green Lantern movie and Batman Forever). But this show I really liked. It struck the right tone and got me interested to watch more. Some things like the future Infinitors being all at the same lunch table were cheesy, but I like my superheroes cheesy. Granted, some of my affection for this show may be nostalgia. I haven't been able to keep up with DC Comics for a while, so an increasing number of things in these productions are things I don't really recognize. I recognized a crap ton of stuff in this show. And it had the same feel as a quirky but upbeat late '90s/early 2000s comic book. Which makes sense because it's based on one (Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E.). It has me almost wishing for more shows based on comics from that period. Like maybe an Impulse sitcom or a show based on Tom Peyer's Hourman.

Anyway, I was a little surprised to find that this was on the CW app. I cut the cord months ago and have been using mainly streaming and my own DVD/blu-ray collection for entertainment. Does anyone know if it will keep appearing on the CW app? Because I'm not feeling a pressing need to keep DC Universe after the one-week trial if I can watch Stargirl elsewhere.
    Wasn't the girl antagonising Courtney called Cindy?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wasn't the girl antagonising Courtney called Cindy?
    Yeah, that's supposed to be Shiv. She was the closest thing Courtney had to an Archenemy in the comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, that's supposed to be Shiv. She was the closest thing Courtney had to an Archenemy in the comics.
    Okay, I vaguely remember her.

I actually didn't read much Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. bac k in the day. My town was devoid of a comic shop for a while. I only managed to keep up with Young Justice (my fave at the time) back then because I had a mail order subscription. Back when subscriptions were still a thing.

As far as I know the plan is to continue to air it on both platforms so you should be good to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't know that they'll do either one. This is a show for a general audience. Most people on the street know who the Flash is. He's the guy in the red suit who runs fast. In other words, the one from the Flash TV show. Compare this to a team from the early forties that most people don't know anything about. This is a new experiment in a way. You're selling an older generation of heroes to a younger generation. When people see a Flash with a pot on his head, or a Green Lantern in a cape, they are going to be a bit confused. This will require a bit more explanation for a general audience than your typical super-hero show for the "normals".
    A CW audience is going to know who the Flash is, and a Flash who isn't the one with his own show could cause more confusion than the first appearance of someone calling themselves "Green Lantern".

At least check out Young Justice and Doom Patrol as well on DC Universe. Plus they have a ton of comic books, it's definitely worth it for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    At least check out Young Justice and Doom Patrol as well on DC Universe. Plus they have a ton of comic books, it's definitely worth it for me.
    Eh, the original shows on the service generally seem a little too dark and . . . Vertigo-y for my tastes. I'll try some of the first episodes at least until the week trial is up. Mind you, I still kind of carry a grudge against Young Justice because it isn't funny like the YJ comics.

Fantastic Member

Is Crusher supposed to be Sportsmaster?

Scratch that.

It is definitely Sportsmaster, and the girl sitting between Crusher and his wife, presumably Paula, is likely Jade/Cheshire.
    Last edited by Marvelman; 05-25-2020 at 01:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    Is Crusher supposed to be Sportsmaster?

Scratch that.

It is definitely Sportsmaster, and the girl sitting between Crusher and his wife, presumably Paula, is likely Jade/Cheshire.
    The girl is likely Artemis Crock aka Tigress. Cheshire's only related to them on Young Justice so far. Don't know if it's been worked into other shows/comics yet.

I watched the second episode and it is just as good as the first. The tone's still just right. There's more action. Lots of good bonding between Pat and Courtney. It also became even more abundantly clear that they're going all in on the generational Golden Age stuff. I guess that's this show's "superhero thing" like Arrow's was non-powered vigilantes, Supergirl's is aliens and Flash's is metahumans/science-gone-wrong. So, I could go in more depth about how the show is good, or I could just play a silly game of "spot the reference".

Spot the reference it is

spoilers:

- Hourman is name dropped. It's mentioned that he followed the Injustice Society to Blue Valley but that he and his wife were killed shortly after getting there. That could explain why Rick Tyler is there.

- Brainwave goes to visit the Wizard late at night. More hints are dropped that there's a bigger plan in play.

- The American Dream (which I guess is like Blue Valley's Chamber of Commerce) has a meeting with their CFO, who is clearly The Gambler.

- Brainwave's son is Henry King Jr., known in the comics as Brainwave Jr. And his father seems to test him regularly for psychic powers. Will he be a good guy or a bad guy or both this time around?

- Big parents' night function at the gym. The school principal singles out her son, who apparently has the same name as The Fiddler. He's also said to be a gifted musician by his mother. Whether this means Isaac Bowin is a second-generation Fiddler this time around or the original Fiddler is just really young, I don't know.

- We see Crusher Crock (Sportsmaster) there with his wife (Huntress) and daughter (Tigress). As Marvelman mentioned above.

- Another appearance by Shiv. Also, we see the future Dr. Mid-Nite (or is it just Mid-Nite seeing as she hasn't been to med school yet?) with her parents.

- After a fight with Brainwave, Icicle rolls into town and we see where they're keeping Grundy.
    end of spoilers

I'm not the greatest expert on JSA/All-Star Squadron/Infinity Inc. stuff, so there may have been stuff I missed. Especially at that school function. Anyone catch anything I didn't?
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 05-25-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It's obvious they're taking a few creative liberties with some of the characters. Supposedly Justin the Janitor might be Shining Knight. So who knows who else is there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

It's obvious they're taking a few creative liberties with some of the characters. Supposedly Justin the Janitor might be Shining Knight. So who knows who else is there.
    People keep bringing up a janitor, but I only remember seeing one in the background of one scene. Maybe I need to rewatch.

And there are always liberties taken. The question is always: Are they the right ones?

BANNED

Which version of Starman is in this? Or are there no versions of Starman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Which version of Starman is in this? Or are there no versions of Starman
    Sylvester Pemberton. The original Star Spangled Kid
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Sylvester Pemberton. The original Star Spangled Kid
    So he goes by Starman in this show? That’s interesting. Do you think they’ll introduce other Starmen?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    So he goes by Starman in this show? That’s interesting. Do you think they’ll introduce other Starmen?
    I wish, but it seems unlikely.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!