Page 24 of 187 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

I wanted to hate but I actually enjoy this, i'm in.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

This Icicle dude is an evil bastard, wow
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Is it wrong that I really want something bad to happen to Courtney? I like the character but everytime she blows off that this stuff is dangerous I just wish something serious would happen to set her straight. If this were Smallville where we had an invulnerable lead or Gotham/Themiscyra where the hero had spent years training it'd make sense, but Courtney has no reason to be this confident and even Wizard Jr's death during her battle doesn't seem to make her see that. The longer she keeps being reckless with no consequences, the worst I expect them to be when she finally falls.

And I'm not sure if Yolanda having powers or it being the suit is more annoying. On the one hand Courtney just happening to choose someone with powers as her first recruit is awfully convenient for the plot. On the other hand if all the heroes are totem based (Courtney's staff, Yolanda's gloves, Hourman's hourglass, ...) then why hasn't Pat been looking for new heroes to wield them (other than these kids)? I really wish that they had simply made the main characters connected to a JSAer and them being in Blue Valley being tied to the ISA. At least then there would be a reason for this group of teen heroes to conveniently be in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Is it wrong that I really want something bad to happen to Courtney? I like the character but everytime she blows off that this stuff is dangerous I just wish something serious would happen to set her straight. If this were Smallville where we had an invulnerable lead or Gotham/Themiscyra where the hero had spent years training it'd make sense, but Courtney has no reason to be this confident and even Wizard Jr's death during her battle doesn't seem to make her see that. The longer she keeps being reckless with no consequences, the worst I expect them to be when she finally falls.

And I'm not sure if Yolanda having powers or it being the suit is more annoying. On the one hand Courtney just happening to choose someone with powers as her first recruit is awfully convenient for the plot. On the other hand if all the heroes are totem based (Courtney's staff, Yolanda's gloves, Hourman's hourglass, ...) then why hasn't Pat been looking for new heroes to wield them (other than these kids)? I really wish that they had simply made the main characters connected to a JSAer and them being in Blue Valley being tied to the ISA. At least then there would be a reason for this group of teen heroes to conveniently be in the same spot.
    Courtney's an impulsive teenager. I'd like to think the plot will address this like they're likely to address the fact that she's only doing this because she thinks (mistakenly) Starman is her dad.

Well, Rick is literally Hourman's son. It doesn't get more connected then that. Beth doesn't seem to have any business getting involved in this fight though.

She'll learn her lesson soon, all heroes do. I'm sure it'll be a plot in the show later on. She's cocky because she's young and the staff most likely makes her feel like she can conquer anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    She'll learn her lesson soon, all heroes do. I'm sure it'll be a plot in the show later on. She's cocky because she's young and the staff most likely makes her feel like she can conquer anything.
    Yeah, it was the only reason she beat Brainwave.

Ultimate Member

Is it wrong that I really want something bad to happen to Courtney? I like the character but everytime she blows off that this stuff is dangerous I just wish something serious would happen to set her straight.
    Yeah, Icicle wouldn't have come back to town, and the Wizard's son wouldn't be dead, if she hadn't gotten all gung-ho. She doesn't seem to have grasped yet that her actions have consequences, and that dead kid would be alive today if she hadn't gone and poked the bear.

Still, she's a teen looking desperately for a purpose, and she's got zero experience at all this. Lessons must be learned.

And I'm not sure if Yolanda having powers or it being the suit is more annoying. On the one hand Courtney just happening to choose someone with powers as her first recruit is awfully convenient for the plot. On the other hand if all the heroes are totem based (Courtney's staff, Yolanda's gloves, Hourman's hourglass, ...) then why hasn't Pat been looking for new heroes to wield them (other than these kids)?
    Because he had no reason to. The Injustice Society were gone as far as he was aware and he was so traumatized by the deaths of all his friends he understandably didn't want to put anyone else through that.

Thus far, I'm really enjoying it. I do hope Courtney gets herself into a bit more trouble due to her reckless go at it attitude and needs Pat to save her again as a means of reigning in the exuberant spirit just a little. Though honestly its true to character as she was written in the 90s JSA and JSA classified.

As to the answer why Pat just didn't find others to take on these totems in replace the Hero's. The answer is his little spiel to Courtney at JSA HQ. These guys were the best and even with all their experience they got destroyed by the Isa. He clearly doesn't want her to go off against them because they don't stand a chance and that would be his feeling again for any inexperienced person using the totems

A bigger concern for me is how they are going to climax the series. Originally I didn't know how these junior JSA with only Hourman, Stargirl, Wildcat and doctor Midnight could possibly take on an ISA that stomped the JSA. Now however only a few episodes in we've already taken out the two most powerful members (the ones that could take down the hig guns of the JSA), there's been mk o sign lf Shade and no mention of his casting, and the fourth most powerful one is locked up in a room in the Isa headquarters so unlikely to do what his team mates want.

I dont see how the remaining villains we've seen (sportsmaster, Gambler, Tigress, Icicle can deal with the power of Stargirl and Hourman (and if Yolanda also has her powers). Also given that Johns has said that the janitor will follow the storynkune of the stars and stripe comic (meaning sometime this season we are going to see the Shining Knight with all his experience, once the Janitor sees Courtneyin battle and regains his memory). Dont get me wrong Icicle is an evil Bastich and has no problem killing quick, but really after another 7 or 8 eps getting used to the staff it should deal with him efficiently. Especially since it seems partially sentient.
    Last edited by beatboks; 06-04-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because he had no reason to. The Injustice Society were gone as far as he was aware and he was so traumatized by the deaths of all his friends he understandably didn't want to put anyone else through that.
    Yeah, I think he kind of gave up once Rex died.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Thus far, I'm really enjoying it. I do hope Courtney gets herself into a bit more trouble due to her reckless go at it attitude and needs Pat to save her again as a means of reigning in the exuberant spirit just a little. Though honestly its true to character as she was written in the 90s JSA and JSA classified.
    Was she really this dense back then. I'm not knocking her idealism or drive to find justice. I just don't remember her lacking even the basic grasp of strategy. There is taking down these guys despite the danger and then there is walking unarmed into a warzone with the belief that nothing could go wrong. Yes, she has the staff- but she is charging head first without trying to find anything out (like what their known powers are) or considering stealth. Like i said, I just don't want to see her lesson be the death of some supporting character (like Kid Wizard) for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    As to the answer why Pat just didn't find others to take on these totems in replace the Hero's. The answer is his little spiel to Courtney at JSA HQ. These guys were the best and even with all their experience they got destroyed by the Isa. He clearly doesn't want her to go off against them because they don't stand a chance and that would be his feeling again for any inexperienced person using the totems
    I'd have an easier time buying that if STRIPE didn't exist. Pat obviously had some plan for dealing with the ISA, even if it wasn't fully formed yet. Having back-up in training (but not acting as heroes) makes more sense than leaving them at the JSA HQ as props. Heck if they are so easy to use that Courtney can give them to her friends and they become heroes, Pat could have used them himself.

And considering the fact Courtney just walked in and took the totems, what prevented anyone else doing the same thing? In fact I'm not really sure how Pat got the totems since the ISA seem bright enough not to leave them behind after defeating the team. We saw Pat escape with the staff but nothing else. Did he go back after the battle to find that the ISA had left their opponents equipment for him to take (and didn't think to watch for him to return)?
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 06-04-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cool tour of the JSA HQ. Love the various relics.
    Maybe they will introduce Ma Hunkle as the caretaker.

MaHunkel.jpg

Was she really this dense back then. I'm not knocking her idealism or drive to find justice. I just don't remember her lacking even the basic grasp of strategy. There is taking down these guys despite the danger and then there is walking unarmed into a warzone with the belief that nothing could go wrong. Yes, she has the staff- but she is charging head first without trying to find anything out (like what their known powers are) or considering stealth. Like i said, I just don't want to see her lesson be the death of some supporting character (like Kid Wizard) for dramatic effect.
    In JSA 1 when all hell broke loose and spirits and a mystic cult attack Wesley Dodds funeral she wanted to jump head first into battle. She moaned whe. Ted Knight wouldnt let her because she was under his supervision and compared him to Pat who never lets her do anything.

In JSA 2 she followed scarab thru a portal to Dr Gayes tower and in 3 she steppped out to confront freakin Mordru of all people after hed just soloed the JSA.

in JSA classified wheb Amos Fortune, the Wizard, Sportsmaster and the Gambler had taken down the JSA and absorbed cosmic energy with which they had empowered and taken over Wildcat. While her cosmic staff and belt were depowered she actually thought she could take down wildcat because unlike the other JSAers she didnt depend on her power and was surprised the the best boxer in the whorld totally amped by energy was beating her in a freakin brawl.

Yes she was that gung ho and reckless. These first three issues so far are pretty much how Johns originally wrote her charater wise.

There are literally dozens of other stories of hers that showed the same level of youthful recklessness.
    For example this is from her first issue of Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/x9n0u92YgV...9ouGF-CxEki=s0

I'd have an easier time buying that if STRIPE didn't exist. Pat obviously had some plan for dealing with the ISA, even if it wasn't fully formed yet. Having back-up in training (but not acting as heroes) makes more sense than leaving them at the JSA HQ as props. Heck if they are so easy to use that Courtney can give them to her friends and they become heroes, Pat could have used them himself.

And considering the fact Courtney just walked in and took the totems, what prevented anyone else doing the same thing? In fact I'm not really sure how Pat got the totems since the ISA seem bright enough not to leave them behind after defeating the team. We saw Pat escape with the staff but nothing else. Did he go back after the battle to find that the ISA had left their opponents equipment for him to take (and didn't think to watch for him to return)?
    Three things.

1. Being ready to put your own life on the line, and risk someone elses are not the same thing. Just because Pat might have been ready to take on the ISA himself doesnt mean he's ready to watch others die doing so.

2. Its been made pretty clear that Pat didnt think the cosmic staff worked for anyone beside Sylvester. Why would he therefore assume that the other things wòuld if everyones powers were totem based.

3. It was pretty clear to me that the S.T.R.I.P.E mechanical suit has been built for a while. He used an old car body type, and yet it still didnt have all the bugs worked out. Like the rocket fist didnt properly fire. I had figured he built it to maybe back up Hourman and when he died he stopped working on it
    Last edited by beatboks; 06-05-2020 at 05:00 AM.

Incredible Member

i find it silly that the justice society headquarters just so happned to be in blue valley and all the injustice society members retired there as normal parents raising their family.