Page 138 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2791

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Oddly specific, why not just say martial arts? Or just Jiu Jitsu or Kung Fu?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oddly specific, why not just say martial arts? Or just Jiu Jitsu or Kung Fu?
    Because that's what it's called....?
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Because that's what it's called....?
    I meant, why specifically that martial art out of all martial arts. Like, most people aren't going to know it's a thing.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I meant, why specifically that martial art out of all martial arts. Like, most people aren't going to know it's a thing.
    BJJ is a common martial art used in MMA. One that specializes in grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    BJJ is a common martial art used in MMA. One that specializes in grappling.
    So it's something well known if you're into MMA (obviously I'm not). I don't think it's reached common vernacular outside of MMA then.

I was equally mystified Vak. Not into MMA either, and since this is a thread about a teen superhero, I don't know why one would assume it's participants would know what BJJ is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

There is obviously no realism in such shows. But this is the Internet so commenting is part of the fun. I opine that if you are going to fight in life or death scenarios, you train up. That's what many do in this world. As far as folks not knowing what BJJ stood for, sorry. However, you learn new things. Throwing people around is fun on the screen but in the 'real' world you want to take them out of the fight and grappling for limb disabling holds or chokes is a thing rather than the big haymaker. Break your hand with those anyway unless you really prepare. Now if you have some invulnerability, that's ok but if you are punching another tough opponent, you still might break your own tough hand.

I return to Jason in Titans, where a cheap hood drew a Glock and cleaned his clock fairly easily. Could have killed him. Yeah, Stargirl is mixed on the no-kill rule. Does she really want to incinerate school chums like Artemis on the opening bell? But it was fun.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

So it's something well known if you're into MMA (obviously I'm not). I don't think it's reached common vernacular outside of MMA then.
    It's been a thing since long before the MMA. It was known 40-odd years ago when I was in high school.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

There are dojos around here with BJJ signs on the windows. That and Krav Maga. Wouldn't want to tackle a team of skeet shooters flying on your staff, Stargirl. Lucky, it's only baseball players. Quite a few skeet teams in HS around here and in college.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    It's been a thing since long before the MMA. It was known 40-odd years ago when I was in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    There are dojos around here with BJJ signs on the windows. That and Krav Maga.
    Must be common in your areas, but it's not known of here in my area, so guessing it's a regional thing.

Mighty Member

Poor Yolanda.

That was a dark and depressing episode. Last scene was very creepy.
    Grundy next week.
    Glad it's not just heroes lose, lose, lose, lose and then win.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Must be common in your areas, but it's not known of here in my area, so guessing it's a regional thing.
    I know what it is because my niece was in BJJ classes for a while. Don't know if she still is.

But, y'know, not everyone's going to know about every martial art. Especially the details. Heck, when I was a kid, I thought they were all just "karate".

I can imagine how difficult it is for a person of faith to process what, to them, appears to be the closest thing to a literal devil that they've ever seen. Not that I think Eclipso is actually the Devil, but he sure does a good impression of one.

I guess there's some leeway as to whether Brainwave was real in Yolanda's head or Eclipso messing with her, because it was happening before Eclipso even directly targeted the JSA, and we didn't see any of Eclipso's glowing eye. At the same time Yolanda saw Eclipso in his child form at the beginning so it seems reasonable he'd target her, and then he moved on to poor Beth at the end .

I'm guessing Isaac's foster family is who is looking for him? Kind of hard to explain that away.

Well, Jordan was a crazy Supervillain, but he was an ethical businessman who cared about the town. I can understand Barbara having mixed thoughts citing the man who tried to kill her family and was kind of obsessed with her though.

Is the Shade trying to reconstitute himself after what Eclipso did to him?

On the one hand I was disappointed the priest brought in Yolanda's mother and broke her trust, but at the same time, knowing she's going through a lot, you would normally think the reasonable option is to go to their parents to give them the support they need. And he immediately puts her mom down when she tries to turn it on Yolanda and blame her, and all but says she is long past being judged by her family or by others. So I think from his perspective he was handling it well. And for once it seems like Yolanda's mom is trying to reach her daughter...but then we see Yolanda's mom pin all the blame on Courtney, showing she hasn't changed at all .

Yolanda chose taking the burden of her own emotional problems so as to not ruin Courtney's moment with Cameron. Radiating strong wingwoman energy.

So now the guidance counselor is teaching Summer school. Well, he got Courtney into this...

Poor Henry brought back just to guilt trip Yolanda and to see him basically die again. I knew it wasn't real though because there's no way people in the classroom would be that oblivious to Yolanda just walking out of there without a word.

Mike getting his training arc through rebuilding STRIPE, bolt by bolt. Kind of monotonous, but it beats getting attacked by the shards of the Black Diamond.

Courtney's empowering team moment fizzled out quick. I mean, Rick took finding out about Yolanda killing Brainwave better than I expected but Yolanda turned it back on him because it rings hollow when he spared Grundy. And Beth doesn't know what to think.

Poor Yolanda is caught in a spiral of guilt and self-loathing, not helped by her crisis of faith and whatever is going on inside her head. I guess I'm not surprised she doesn't want to be Wildcat anymore and shuns Courtney by retreating back to her early season 1 personality. I wonder if finding out what the JSA did to stop Eclipso might change her mind on being so hard on herself.

Well, Whitmore/Duggan family talk has Mike come out and say he didn't want to kill Icicle. It just happened. He just thought he was trying to save his family and had a chance to stop the bad guy. Although I wonder how Mike would react to seeing Cameron.

Looks like everybody finds out about Grundy next week and Rick has to deal with the possibility of Grundy killing someone (although I think it'll turn out Grundy didn't). But hey, we finally get to see Grundy again .

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    BJJ wasn't known in America in the 70s, you're referring to the general martial art of jiu-jitsu (Commonly also spelled jujutsu), which has different variations and originated in Japan to combat the samurai (Weaponless participants against sword-wielding samurai).....Judo is an offshoot of jiu-jitsu.

BJJ was developed by the Gracies (Also called Gracie Jiu-Jitsu when the school's owned/run by a member of the Gracie family). A Japanese judoka named Mitsuyo Maeda moved to Brazil and became the teacher of some of the Gracies, and that's how it started. Maeda actually fought in MMA matches in the early 20th century, as well as pro wrestling matches (When you get history on BJJ from the Gracie/Brazilian side, they usually omit the fact Maeda performed in pro wrestling, lol).....Rorion Gracie started teaching BJJ in 1978 around LA in his garage, so he barely had any students at the time. After he released the Gracie In Action videos, the martial art started gaining notice, and it exploded into popularity after the early UFCs (1993-1995).

That said, Carley Gracie actually started teaching BJJ in America before Rorion. Carley started teaching in the US in 1972.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-23-2021 at 03:01 PM.