Page 120 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2791
    Incredible Member

No one has mentioned it yet, but I loved the Baron Blitzkrieg shout out.

Took me back to the giant Superman comic with the struggle over the Nazi's having an atomic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But weren't they the majors right from the start? Who else was around when they started?

As for their celebrity, Elvis, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson combined wouldn't equal their star power in my eyes (and I'm a huge fan of those four, FWIW). If you asked me what I wanted to be as a kid, I would have said without a hesitation a member of the JSA. I believe almost everyone on this site would have felt the same way, too.
    I wouldn't - I didn't even know JSA existed as a kid, straight up. But I would've said I wanted to be a superhero, so I get it. But on a different earth, superheroes just might not be as popular a thing. I mean, on our Earth superheroes aren't real, but there's comic books, movies, cartoons, videogames. Maybe their earth is reversed, superheroes exist but there's no popular media depictions of them to popularize them. Would you have still said you wanted to be a member of the JSA if you knew they really existed, but you never read a single comic book about them and the press tried to downplay them as much as possible?

Yeah, it's way too early for a full evaluation, but there was this theory that the CW was going to reduce the quality of the show. It may still, but my feeling is if there is any reduction, it will be minor.
    To be fair, the high quality of Stargirl, like Superman, has been less about their special effects vs the other CW shows (although there've been some scenes to really wow) and more the quality of writing and cinematography.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It feels like it's been so long since the last season ended. I have to say, I did miss this show. But now that it's on the CW, I'm wondering what deleted scenes there are (since season one had longer episodes on streaming).
    I know Superman and Lois has some extra scenes.
    Does Mike's mother have an ISA connection? What do we know about her from the comics?
    I think just that the marriage fizzled out and she left him and Mike.
    True, but if they use him on this show, it'll be hard not to compare him to the Peter Capaldi version.
    It kind of amazes me that we have three live-action Thinkers...
    They're on Wikipedia, so they are known. With their powers, they would have to be as famous as anybody you could think of (unless this universe has had super-powered people for centuries by this point, which doesn't appear to be the case here). Sloppy and condescending writing, IMO.
    I think it's less that they weren't public knowledge so much that, with their death, they just weren't relevant to Courtney's generation enough to be that recognizable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Anyone else thinking Pat not answering what happened to Gentleman Ghost was the writer's way of hinting that villain is going to make an appearance?
    I think of the villains Courtney namedropped, the most likely to show up is Per Degaton.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't - I didn't even know JSA existed as a kid, straight up. But I would've said I wanted to be a superhero, so I get it. But on a different earth, superheroes just might not be as popular a thing. I mean, on our Earth superheroes aren't real, but there's comic books, movies, cartoons, videogames. Maybe their earth is reversed, superheroes exist but there's no popular media depictions of them to popularize them. Would you have still said you wanted to be a member of the JSA if you knew they really existed, but you never read a single comic book about them and the press tried to downplay them as much as possible?
    I always thought that in a world with real superheroes, they wouldn't really be a big deal for comics so other genres would take over. Kind of like how pirate comics did in the world of Watchmen. So, maybe the big DC Comics in Stargirl's world are titles like Viking Prince, The Black Pirate, Space Cabbie and I, Vampire . . .

Incredible Member

It is an interesting question to think about just what do ordinary people feel about the heroes.
    How much treatments show up in popular culture?

I know when writing my own fiction, it is all there, only the secret identities left out. But that is
    just me writing fan fiction.

The movie Shazam suggests real knowledge, fascination with superheroes. At least for
    those under 18. But adults seem to be focused more on going about their daily lives. Keep in mind
    as well that in many communities throughout North America they don't have superheroes operating. It
    could be for them something that happens in other places. What is life like for people in Kentucky on Earth-Prime
    or whatever? I suspect not that different from the one we inhabit right now.

Hopefully, they are doing better right now with Covid than we are.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It's less about a real JSA (I wasn't talking about the one from the comics, BTW) and more about the powers these people have instead. AdamFTF mentioned people would rather read about fictional characters than the real deal. Would anybody here really want to read about a superhero instead of actually seeing them in person? I'm not talking about in harm's way, but say a race between the Flash and Superman?

Look, in a world where powers are a dime a dozen, nobody would really care - at least not as much. But the Stargirl Earth doesn't appear to be that way. Here's a great question - where would a Superman rank in our own world with the major events in world history? Extremely high up, don't you think?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

It's less about a real JSA (I wasn't talking about the one from the comics, BTW) and more about the powers these people have instead. AdamFTF mentioned people would rather read about fictional characters than the real deal. Would anybody here really want to read about a superhero instead of actually seeing them in person? I'm not talking about in harm's way, but say a race between the Flash and Superman?

Look, in a world where powers are a dime a dozen, nobody would really care - at least not as much. But the Stargirl Earth doesn't appear to be that way. Here's a great question - where would a Superman rank in our own world with the major events in world history? Extremely high up, don't you think?
    While it was most likely just an Easter Egg, there is something to suggest that people in Stargirl's world may be more focused on non-superhero characters in their fiction. At one point they pass by the movie theater where the marquee reads "Now playing: The Adventures of Mark Merlin".

Incredible Member

I'm getting ready to teach my World History course. It made me laugh to think of a lecture on Superman.

Here is the thing with History courses they aren't a list, but focused on themes, chronological developments.
    Everything is supposed to relate to everything else.

I would imagine my opposite number would have several pages about Superman toward the end of the textbook.
    But it would all relate to global history, with recent developments. When you get toward the end is also where
    student interest seems to not be high. Hard to blame them when Christmas and the summer are beckoning.

Teacher: Hold on, I know you guys are ready for it all to be over. But how important is Superman as a
    political figure in our world?

Student: Is this going to be on the test?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    While it was most likely just an Easter Egg, there is something to suggest that people in Stargirl's world may be more focused on non-superhero characters in their fiction. At one point they pass by the movie theater where the marquee reads "Now playing: The Adventures of Mark Merlin".
    I can see your point, but it wouldn't be our world with the addition of super/magical/super-tech advanced heroes then. At least that's the way I always thought of pre- and post-COIE DC.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I'm getting ready to teach my World History course. It made me laugh to think of a lecture on Superman.

Here is the thing with History courses they aren't a list, but focused on themes, chronological developments.
    Everything is supposed to relate to everything else.

I would imagine my opposite number would have several pages about Superman toward the end of the textbook.
    But it would all relate to global history, with recent developments. When you get toward the end is also where
    student interest seems to not be high. Hard to blame them when Christmas and the summer are beckoning.

Teacher: Hold on, I know you guys are ready for it all to be over. But how important is Superman as a
    political figure in our world?

Student: Is this going to be on the test?
    Oh, I can definitely see that happening, as well as the class being sidetracked over Superman's latest exploits.

Incredible Member

Yes, it would definitely resonate in Metropolis and Smallville.

Incredible Member

I would also think that a larger university where they allowed more course options probably would have
    a superhero history course.

The JSA and Modern American Society
    Superman: Global Politics Today
    Wonder Woman and Greek Mythology.

That kind of thing.

But weren't they the majors right from the start? Who else was around when they started?

As for their celebrity, Elvis, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson combined wouldn't equal their star power in my eyes (and I'm a huge fan of those four, FWIW). If you asked me what I wanted to be as a kid, I would have said without a hesitation a member of the JSA. I believe almost everyone on this site would have felt the same way, too.
    I'm not saying they aren't the premier super hero team of this earth. I'm saying that due to govt cover ups of their biggest adventures they haven't achieved the level of notoriety and acclaim that someone like them would receive.

Already in the show we have seen their first adventure that many in Blue Valley should be aware of having seen it transpire not be aware of. There shouldn't be a need for a cover story of why the croçks were jailed but there is.people bought the cover that story (that the they Pat referred to created).

Whilst the young JSA have been active in their community they aren't openly known. As time goes on more people are going to see them and be aware of them butnthose numbers won't be high as long as some govt agencies keep coming up with cover stories.

I'm saying that these cover stories have prevented them being more known than the minor leagues or cult following bands.

They've already done the urban myth thing over in the other arrowverse shows with Batman (they even did the same in the nu52 to allow him to keep his backstop innthe revÃ*mp). This is just a variation on that to make the story cleaner. It's not really that big a deal.

It's a plot contivance, but a lot of fiction os

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I'm not saying they aren't the premier super hero team of this earth. I'm saying that due to govt cover ups of their biggest adventures they haven't achieved the level of notoriety and acclaim that someone like them would receive.

Already in the show we have seen their first adventure that many in Blue Valley should be aware of having seen it transpire not be aware of. There shouldn't be a need for a cover story of why the croçks were jailed but there is.people bought the cover that story (that the they Pat referred to created).

Whilst the young JSA have been active in their community they aren't openly known. As time goes on more people are going to see them and be aware of them butnthose numbers won't be high as long as some govt agencies keep coming up with cover stories.

I'm saying that these cover stories have prevented them being more known than the minor leagues or cult following bands.

They've already done the urban myth thing over in the other arrowverse shows with Batman (they even did the same in the nu52 to allow him to keep his backstop innthe revÃ*mp). This is just a variation on that to make the story cleaner. It's not really that big a deal.

It's a plot contivance, but a lot of fiction os
    But you're still talking about a guy with super speed, another one who can create constructs with his green lantern, another one who can do magical things with the right words, etc... unless the US has become a police state, it would be impossible to minimize any of that with the public.

At any rate, you agree it's a plot contrivance, so that's all I'm really saying.