Page 121 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2791
    Astonishing Member

The existence of super powers would have scientists all over the world obsessed with them. So them being ignored is ridiculous.

Also, I just cannot abide Pat as a rather, slow, fumbling Ward Cleaver personality and Captain Midnight is so pathetic as a person to grate on me. Kid needs serious therapy and is out of her depth.

The only redeeming part of this episode was Jade.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    The existence of super powers would have scientists all over the world obsessed with them. So them being ignored is ridiculous.

Also, I just cannot abide Pat as a rather, slow, fumbling Ward Cleaver personality and Captain Midnight is so pathetic as a person to grate on me. Kid needs serious therapy and is out of her depth.

The only redeeming part of this episode was Jade.
    Well, there weren't really many left after the JSA got killed off.

Pat's pat, and Beth is Dr. Mid-Nite .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I would also think that a larger university where they allowed more course options probably would have
    a superhero history course.

The JSA and Modern American Society
    Superman: Global Politics Today
    Wonder Woman and Greek Mythology.

That kind of thing.
    I have to believe they would be very popular, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    But you're still talking about a guy with super speed, another one who can create constructs with his green lantern, another one who can do magical things with the right words, etc... unless the US has become a police state, it would be impossible to minimize any of that with the public.

At any rate, you agree it's a plot contrivance, so that's all I'm really saying.
    Of course it's a plot contrivance, that doesn't make it something that is unbelievable or unable to work. Fake news isn't something new and people buy it all the time because the want or need to. To protect our minds from trauma we often forget or alter bad memories. Things like PTSD exist only because soldiers etc have too many bad memories to suppress. I watched a lot of shows growing up that would investigate real life paranormal experiences and try to come up with explanations.

There is a lot of those type of things out there. Before retyping this because it got lost it (it's annoying as he'll some times when you spend time making a long post that you havebto log back in to post it, even more so when it doesn't work)I had searched and put a few dozen links to some amazing things I'd found that were real life paranormal and not widely known (but everybody as fantastical as a superhero IMO). There are fables like King Arthur that are based on fact not nearly as wonderful and even some true basis to a few fairy tales.

Look at what's happening innthe world st the moment with so many people believing that covid is a hoax. They beleive it because the truth of a pandemic is just too scary. Whilst superheros would be cool, to acknowledge them also means we acknowledge super villains and that is something the mind of many might want to suppress for their own feeling of security. It makes it easier to buy a cover story I'd we ourselves don't want to beleive in the dark nature of it. They don't need to hide a truth, just tell us a story we'd rather hear. It's what spin Dr do.

So when given the choice of
    1. "A villain controlled the minds of a few states"
    Or
    2. "Some natural phenomenon made everyone zone out"

They are going to want to for the most part beleive 2

By nature this makes the most memorable things that the JSA would have done be thought of as mostly fiction or be things the majority of people would want/need to forget for their own sanity.
    Last edited by beatboks; 08-12-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Love the MARK MERLIN shout out on the Movie Theater Marquee.
    Marlin share HOUSE OF SECRETS with Eclipso back in the 60's.

HOS71.jpg

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I had wondered if Mark Merlin was an easter egg or not.
    Thanks for this cover!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think of the villains Courtney namedropped, the most likely to show up is Per Degaton.
    I really think that's a joke bit where next season Per Degaton is the big bad and we all flash back to this and chuckle rather then him showing up any time soon this season. But we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I always thought that in a world with real superheroes, they wouldn't really be a big deal for comics so other genres would take over. Kind of like how pirate comics did in the world of Watchmen. So, maybe the big DC Comics in Stargirl's world are titles like Viking Prince, The Black Pirate, Space Cabbie and I, Vampire . . .
    I could see that, definitely.

It's less about a real JSA (I wasn't talking about the one from the comics, BTW)
    Then what were you talking about? I don't think there was a JSA anywhere other than the comics when either of us were kids?

and more about the powers these people have instead. AdamFTF mentioned people would rather read about fictional characters than the real deal. Would anybody here really want to read about a superhero instead of actually seeing them in person? I'm not talking about in harm's way, but say a race between the Flash and Superman?
    Impossible to know - yeah we would all love to see a superhero in the real world, but that's because we live in a world were we've all read comics and watched cartoons and live action movies and shows and played with superhero action figures or videogames since we were kids. In a world where none of that exists and we just knew of them from the minor bits that the news may have provided us? We can't say our views would be the same as they are here and now.

Look, in a world where powers are a dime a dozen, nobody would really care - at least not as much. But the Stargirl Earth doesn't appear to be that way. Here's a great question - where would a Superman rank in our own world with the major events in world history? Extremely high up, don't you think?
    Except their JSA hasn't had an impact on their world's major events in history, or if they did it might've been covered up. And none of them are on a Superman level of power - with a little luck a criminal could take out Courtney's whole JSA with a fully automatic (none of them are bulletproof) (not suggesting that either, I'm not that dark, just easy way to benchmark power level difference). In their world, that some rare people can fly and shoot beams at each other isn't all that different that jetpacks have existed in our earth since the 60s or 70s - it's so few with such zero impact.

Is Hourman bulletproof with Miraclo? I kind of forget...

Astonishing Member

Captain Midnite - sorry - a slip from my youth. I know most of this is PIS but sometimes it grates. The takeover attempt from last season would have Homeland Security flooding Mayberry - or whatever you call where they live. Also, building an advanced robot takes sophisticated parts and knowledge that seems beyond Pat's mental level. It's also probably illegal as a destructive device.

The staff is also probably illegal as an energy weapon wielded by a minor unless there is some secret superhero exemption. Wander around town with a rifle as a kid, see the law!

But PIS rules.

Yeah, the gun rule. It's like the no-kill rule. Introduce competent firearms and killing and most of the superhero plots go bye-bye unless you have invulnerable types or speedsters. If you see competitive shooters they could shoot a bunched up JSA in about 2.5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Captain Midnite - sorry - a slip from my youth. I know most of this is PIS but sometimes it grates. The takeover attempt from last season would have Homeland Security flooding Mayberry - or whatever you call where they live. Also, building an advanced robot takes sophisticated parts and knowledge that seems beyond Pat's mental level. It's also probably illegal as a destructive device.
    Well, Pat seems kind of like an old fuddy duddy but he never seems stupid or unintelligent.
    The staff is also probably illegal as an energy weapon wielded by a minor unless there is some secret superhero exemption. Wander around town with a rifle as a kid, see the law!
    Well, the staff is also sentient, so...
    Yeah, the gun rule. It's like the no-kill rule. Introduce competent firearms and killing and most of the superhero plots go bye-bye unless you have invulnerable types or speedsters. If you see competitive shooters they could shoot a bunched up JSA in about 2.5 seconds.
    That kind of takes the fun out of it unless you're the Punisher.

Incredible Member

I think classic Hourman had a limited invulnerability to small arms. He had also
    a very tough skin.

I'm not sure how well that relates to Rick's powers and abilities. I would think
    he would be much the same. But others may know better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Then what were you talking about? I don't think there was a JSA anywhere other than the comics when either of us were kids?
    I was talking about if we actually lived on an Earth with superheroes and how we would really react to them, which wouldn't be with indifference.

Ultimate Member

I was talking about if we actually lived on an Earth with superheroes and how we would really react to them, which wouldn't be with indifference.
    Eh, 200 hundred years ago drones would seem like magic. Hell, I remember when Clinton caught hell for using a drone on suspected terrorists. These days, there's probably a terrorist who goes boom once a day and we don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, 200 hundred years ago drones would seem like magic. Hell, I remember when Clinton caught hell for using a drone on suspected terrorists. These days, there's probably a terrorist who goes boom once a day and we don't care.
    If drones were really comparable to people with super powers (not to mention those from different worlds), then I might agree with you.