Page 123 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2791
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Come on, I'm talking about the technology of drones, not killing people with them. I just can't buy anybody on this site not being as impressed with a superhero in reality over a drone.
    Ignore the technology, and focus on what else I wrote.

In that, we kill people in other countries with little due process and few people even blink.

Humans, and Americans in particular, can normalize the worst things, don't see why super powers would be any different

There had to be some video evidence of their exploits or there wouldn't have been headline news when they died.
    Yes - blurry, grainy bank security camera footage of some of their powers. The good stuff is probably never shown to the general audience of the world, so if that's all they get to see? It would've made a splash for a while, but eventually people would grow bored without more.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Homeland Security didn't exist before 9/11. The department was created in response to 9/11.
    That's true but Homeland Security is only the amalgamation and centralisation of 22 agencies that did exist prior to 9/11. It's not like all the resources that the agency has didn't exist before, it's just that now the left hand talks to the right. In any case there have been 82 terrorist attacks on US soil since 9/11. Some the DHS prevented others like the mass shootings in LAX, and Maryland and the Boston Marathon bombing weren't. Let's not delude ourselves to think that they are completely infallible. There's room for human error. At least until all civil rights are signed away and they can tap and monitor everyone's every movement and conversation. They do a great job but they have limitations and can sometimes be blind sided or simply unaware of a potential threat.its not like the ISA in the show were doing anything overtly. Nor were they the type of individuals that the DHS are likely to be watching. I mean a couple of "apparent" teachers, a Dr, a local politician and a few members of a small town civil improvement group??? Hardly red flag types.

Incredible Member

The federal government had a close relationship with the JSA before the war, especially during World War II.

The 1950s were a different story, where they went into hiding.

You don't get a good sense how seriously they took the JSA as a group, whether they considered it a threat.
    Personally, I don't want to see all of the X-men kind of thing with the government chasing down meta's. It is hard to see
    why anyone in the government would be worried about high school students in rural Nebraska.

But with the feds I suppose you never know.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ignore the technology, and focus on what else I wrote.

In that, we kill people in other countries with little due process and few people even blink.

Humans, and Americans in particular, can normalize the worst things, don't see why super powers would be any different
    Okay, this conversation just went off a cliff, so I'll leave it at what I posted at this point. If you or the majority of people (including non-Americans, FWIW) wouldn't be impressed with a superhero in actuality, so be it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Okay, this conversation just went off a cliff, so I'll leave it at what I posted at this point. If you or the majority of people (including non-Americans, FWIW) wouldn't be impressed with a superhero in actuality, so be it.
    People would be impressed.

For a time.

And the JSA have been around a while now, so...

I still want to know more about the government in this setting because, obviously, someone arrested Sportsmaster and Tigress and came up with a cover story for why they were arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still want to know more about the government in this setting because, obviously, someone arrested Sportsmaster and Tigress and came up with a cover story for why they were arrested.
    I was kind of wondering the same thing.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

This show, from they very beginning - is steeped in nostalgia. I mean, there was a plot about restoring Main St. The dates don't make sense because this show is aiming at the 40's nostalgia of the comic book JSA that wouldn't work with a sliding timeline. Along with that comes simpler storytelling where nobody asked, "what would be the real world implications if superheroes existed." This is an abstracted reality - moreso than the other CW shows, which is why I think it gets its own world in the multiverse.

That said, Pat's mechanic buddy/partner is super-annoying to me. Like the worst kind of "wacky neighbor" trope. Get Sir Justin back here...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This show, from they very beginning - is steeped in nostalgia. I mean, there was a plot about restoring Main St. The dates don't make sense because this show is aiming at the 40's nostalgia of the comic book JSA that wouldn't work with a sliding timeline. Along with that comes simpler storytelling where nobody asked, "what would be the real world implications if superheroes existed." This is an abstracted reality - moreso than the other CW shows, which is why I think it gets its own world in the multiverse.

That said, Pat's mechanic buddy/partner is super-annoying to me. Like the worst kind of "wacky neighbor" trope. Get Sir Justin back here...
    He just understands that a man needs a robot...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

Yes I agree, I want to see more of Sir Justin. I did like the mechanic though...he was a bit funny.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sir Justin should still be the janitor, right? Unless he went to look for the other soldiers are getting his memory back

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Sir Justin should still be the janitor, right? Unless he went to look for the other soldiers are getting his memory back
    Yeah, I think he left to find the Soldiers or their legacies, as well as Winged Victory.

Yolanda talking about how Ted Grant would never do what she did makes me wonder if they'll bring in Crimson Avenger and adapt that storyline.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think he left to find the Soldiers or their legacies, as well as Winged Victory.

Yolanda talking about how Ted Grant would never do what she did makes me wonder if they'll bring in Crimson Avenger and adapt that storyline.
    Hope we get a time travel arc first, where they met the originals

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hope we get a time travel arc first, where they met the originals
    I would love that.