Page 129 of 187 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2791

Oh come one, that was mean. Yanking Mike's leash like that.....hope he gets the pen back eventually. Or another superpower.

I'm glad they finally talked about the fact that Mike killed someone. They kinda blew it off by saying it was an accident, but he still killed someone. Pat saying "I don't want to think about it" is not the best parenting, tbh. I wonder if it will come to bite them in the ass, if he does get corrupted by Eclipso. Or maybe they'll just ignore it and focus on his desire for powers so he can be part of the team. I thought it was hilarious he accidentally sent the pen to Jakeem. Mike just showed why he shouldn't have the Thunderbolt with his carelessness.

Interesting that Mike's first wish was the be taller. Could he become a new version of The Al Pratt Atom? (maybe similar to Wildcat and his suit, they'll veer from comics and invent some tech and say he had bracelets that gave him super-punches and that's how Mike will get on the team...? Wild guess...)

I'm fine with what they were able to do with the T-bolt on a tv budget, but that design - I know he's not easy to translate into live-action, but what were those things on his head? They're usually drawn as lightning bolts, so he could have had lightning emanating from his head, or just make them lightning bolt shapes, but it seemed more like three big rabbit ears.... Odd design choice.

I like that they're making the Shade's motivations unknown. Robinson did such a good job making him an unconventional villain who's objectives can sometimes align with the heroes, so we might see him fighting alongside the JSA against Eclipso. Crazy that Shade took down the Thunderbolt with no effort. I wonder if it would have been different if the T-Bolt's handler made a different wish.

I love that their plan was to imprison the Shade in a tricked-out tanning bed. (it actually makes a lot of sense) I want to see that happen just for the visual.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-25-2021 at 06:27 AM.

I liked how they gave Ethan Embry the green suit and bow tie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

I thought it was a fairly slow moving episode, that picked up steam only toward the end.

It felt like they were playing with the audience with the Mike Dugan arc. I hope they do
    something with him beyond being the fifth wheel. I felt like they were screwing with me with
    their ending. I know there is someone who will go well Jakeem is supposed to be manning the
    thunderbolt anyway. But it still had this contrived feel.

Pat Dugan doesn't seem very good at the whole group leadership thing. I mean you had to
    know that Shade was going to be ready for them just showing up. I suppose it is all a part of
    young heroes growing up. There was a Rick Tyler sighting. That is about all we can say
    about Mr. Tyler.

-- I thought the casting for Johnny Thunder and Wildcat were well done.

-- Between the mechanic guy and the Thunderbolt, it's becoming apparent they're trying to put the STRIPE robot in scenes since they've already got the thing built, but it only makes it more apparent they haven't actually used it. Although I guess they haven't done any real super-heroing so far. Getting their butts kicked by Shade is the closest. Otherwise, they're like any group of teen investigators on a teen show.

Astonishing Member

Kind of Meh for me. Most of the team was again useless against a real power. If I hear 'Chuck' once more, I will barf. Get that poor child out of there. Stripsey - can you talk a bit faster and not be such a rube? The acting is rather B- .

A bunch of kids walking down the street or driving in a car is not an impressive JSA. The focus of supervillians in a crappy little town? Meh. After the last attempt to take over the world, where are the authorities? Stripsey says he would turn over the Shade to whom?

Show is not making much sense. I hope Eclipso sparks it up. Did like the Thunderbolt. However, he certainly is rather weak.

Pat and Sylvester had a cool secret base. They even have the Star-Spangled Kid costume in a trophy case.

Poor Johnny Thunder. He didn't think the JSA ever took him seriously (although when you see what the Thunderbolt is like, is it any wonder he had trouble with it?) and bonded with Pat about it, but the one time they bring him into the big fight with the ISA, it gets him killed. He never gets to share that eggnog with Pat. And the last thing he did was wish the Thunderbolt free .

Oh hey, Ted Grant Wildcat! I wasn't expecting to see him. Also Mike was born by then? Ted mentioning how important it is to take care of your family makes me wonder if they were referencing Tom (Ted's son).

Jeez, Pat kind of failing on a parental level to not realize his son got jumped on his paper route.

I almost forgot they showed Shade grabbing Dr. Mid-Nite during the pilot. He's not actually dead though, is he? Shade said Beth didn't know what she was talking about, we never saw a body, and it seems like the voice in the goggles might actually be Charles McNider and not "Chuck."

Shade is as enigmatic as he is in the comics. I mean, yeah, he helped the ISA and he's basically been living in The Wizard's house after he died, but he's out for his own interests and doesn't mean the JSA any harm. He seems like he's only there to find the Black Diamond and stop Eclipso, and he's genuinely worried Eclipso might kill the kids. Also he is vastly stronger than all of them save for the Cosmic Staff, which seems like the only thing that can actually hold him off.

It's nice to see Barbara contributing to the team in her own way as a mom and with her job without getting too extravagant about it. If Shade was really evil he probably wouldn't have left her alone.

I loved how the whole big team moment is them trying to figure out how to make the exact wish they needed just to find The Shade .

Appreciate the enthusiasm Mike, but you jumped the gun.

Finally developing the RickxBeth relationship.

So Jakeem here isn't a street kid and actually has a full family with a mom, dad, and sister. He's just lonely because he spends all his time with video games until the Thunderbolt turns up. Will his experience with games lead him to being the one who can master how to effectively use the wishes? And is his sister Cindy's friend from last season?

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I read something a couple of months ago about a proposed reboot of Superman under JJ Abram's and scripted by Ta-Nehisi Coates. It seemed to be a confirmed story at the time. It may have fallen through though. I recall it being before the Snyder JLA release when I was looking for news of that
    Isn't that just their non-DCEU black Clark Kent race bent reboot project?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And the last thing he did was wish the Thunderbolt free .
    Actually what he wished for was that Thunderbolt would find a new friend, which is even more emotional.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Which when you think about it would be perfect if the show doesn't have the budget to show a lot of his high end powers a lot.
    It helps some that even in canon Dr. Fate's power level varies widely. Depending on how much control Nabu has over the host.

Or if Nabu is even in the Helmet at all. I think the Eric and Linda Straus version of the character didn't have Nabu in the helmet at all at some point.

They can dial Fate's powers back for TV without ruining the character. The comics have been messing with his power levels for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It helps some that even in canon Dr. Fate's power level varies widely. Depending on how much control Nabu has over the host.

Or if Nabu is even in the Helmet at all. I think the Eric and Linda Straus version of the character didn't have Nabu in the helmet at all at some point.

They can dial Fate's powers back for TV without ruining the character. The comics have been messing with his power levels for years now.
    Yeah Nabu wasn't innthe helmet for Eric and Linda because he had taken on Kent's old Corpse instead. He also wasn't in it for Inza (hut a lord of chaos filled that void until Inza sort of kicked him out). He was really only in it for Kent and Hector, plus the Nu52 kid.

Even with Kent (original not the grand nephew) the level of control Nabu had took time to grow innthe retconned history set up by Roy Thomas in All Star Squadron. That was supposed to be why he gave up the full size helmet and I'd guess why he and Eric were the only versions of Fate that was actually trained for a period of time.

In the show a new mantle wearing the helm could have only mild influence by Nabu and not full control for a season or 2. Then when Nabu takes over he goes off the fight the big threats in other dimensions without the team.

For that very reason IF they use him it will be down the track. Probably after they've used a few more moderate villain threats (Like Ultra, Degaton, Savage) before pulling out the likes of Mordru when the shows been around a while and needs to ramp up to keep going

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm coming at it that Hector was Dr. Fate during Johns' JSA, and his family drama and wrestling with Nabu were pretty interesting even when they would so often prevent Fate from actually doing anything in a story...
    I'm not sure that Johns ever knew what to do with Hector and made him Dr. Fate to kick the can down the road so to speak. Especially seeing how he killed him off.

I think that was Johns throwing up his hands.

IRRC, DC had made such a mess of Hawkman's history in the 80's and 90's that the obvious and probably preferred Johns option of simply making Hector the new Golden Eagle ( the man loved his legacy characters) likely wasn't on the table due to editorial concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I'm not sure that Johns ever knew what to do with Hector and made him Dr. Fate to kick the can down the road so to speak. Especially seeing how he killed him off.

I think that was Johns throwing up his hands.

IRRC, DC had made such a mess of Hawkman's history in the 80's and 90's that the obvious and probably preferred Johns option of simply making Hector the new Golden Eagle ( the man loved his legacy characters) likely wasn't on the table due to editorial concerns.
    Yeah, Hector and Lyta's death was...kind of anti-climactic.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I noticed Issac was eavesdropping on Court and Yelena convo in class. They might have just ousted themselves without realizing it.

I'm disappointed that Jakeem isn't a street kid but Blue Valley doesn't seem to be a place that would have the environment for that type of character to exist. Making him an introvert is the next best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I noticed Issac was eavesdropping on Court and Yelena convo in class. They might have just ousted themselves without realizing it.

I'm disappointed that Jakeem isn't a street kid but Blue Valley doesn't seem to be a place that would have the environment for that type of character to exist. Making him an introvert is the next best thing.
    I don't know if they outed themselves because Isaac probably has no frame of reference for what they're talking about until Cindy talks to him.

I'm happy that Jakeem seems to have a stable family life in this show, although he's probably not going to be as tough or abrasive as he was in the comics.