Page 130 of 187 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2791
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I loved so much about this episode. Directed by Lea Thompson, of Back to the Future? Didn't know she was directing.

Anyway, the opening with Wildcat and Johnny was spot on comic nostalgia come to life. Perfect!

Shade-I am so very pleased with casting, writing and acting on this I don't know what else to say. Keeping his motivations mum and to himself. Is that secretive or protective? Kid "You don't know what you're talking about", this implies more happened off screen during the Shade vs og Dr.Midnite moment then, yeah? The thing is Shade could very well have killed them all right there....then the episode ends with Shade at 3am in the morning on the clock tower "he's going to get those kids killed". Again, concern or prophetic cause of upcoming Eclipso drama he can sense.

Chuck finally begins to reboot. It is going to take a lot to get me to buy into a Beth/Rick romance.

Yolanda is just kind of there this episode.

Mike feels alone. He's bullied. We've seen how tragic those two things can be in real life(see HS headlines over the last 25yrs) without super powers in the mix. Where will his story end for the season? Probably a "shady" place.

Jakeem, take care of the Thunderbolt. I like the graphics they used on him. Since he isn't real that helps his scenes. Also, his sister said their dad calls Jakeem a loser? WTF? Bad dad, bad bad bad Dad, you don't do that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if they outed themselves because Isaac probably has no frame of reference for what they're talking about until Cindy talks to him.

I'm happy that Jakeem seems to have a stable family life in this show, although he's probably not going to be as tough or abrasive as he was in the comics.
    I'll put a question mark on stable. From the way his sister treated him he doesn't seem to get any respect from her and their father. The thunderbolt only attaches himself to people who are lonely.

I've been looking forward to this episode for so long, but I have to say, one little thing did disappoint me. I know Jakeem's magic words are "So Cool", but I really wanted to hear "Cei-U" or "Say You". Maybe we'll see more of Ethan Embry (wow, that flashback was great, even Wildcat was in it!) as Johnny Thunder using the Thunderbolt, but it feels like such a missed opportunity right there.

Other than that, though, some of the best moments ever for Mike this episode. I liked that he wanted to be brother and sister superheroes with Courtney, and he did what any typical kid would if they possessed the power of a magic genie. Shame that he ended up losing it when he only wanted to help and be part of the team.

Shade continues to be awesome, he can take on the entire cast of the show without getting up from his seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Oh come one, that was mean. Yanking Mike's leash like that.....hope he gets the pen back eventually. Or another superpower.
    Hopefully Pat will let him work on S.T.R.I.P.E. and maybe even take it out for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm glad they finally talked about the fact that Mike killed someone. They kinda blew it off by saying it was an accident, but he still killed someone. Pat saying "I don't want to think about it" is not the best parenting, tbh. I wonder if it will come to bite them in the ass, if he does get corrupted by Eclipso.
    I could definitely see that happening. I like them acknowledging what Mike did, and if he's being scouted for the bad team, corrupting him through Eclipso would make sense.

I almost forgot they showed Shade grabbing Dr. Mid-Nite during the pilot. He's not actually dead though, is he? Shade said Beth didn't know what she was talking about, we never saw a body, and it seems like the voice in the goggles might actually be Charles McNider and not "Chuck."
    That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. Maybe Shade needed McNider to help him with something and he's playing the long game fighting a bigger threat. He doesn't seem to want to hurt the kids in particular, so it will probably turn out that everything he did, including his alliance with the ISA, was to fight a greater evil.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. Maybe Shade needed McNider to help him with something and he's playing the long game fighting a bigger threat. He doesn't seem to want to hurt the kids in particular, so it will probably turn out that everything he did, including his alliance with the ISA, was to fight a greater evil.
    I think it has to do with Eclipso. After all, he went after the McNiders in the opening to this season.

A lot of this season goes back to shadows and darkness.

The Shade creates shadows. Obsidian (notably absent) can turn into a shadow. Eclipso traditionally only manifested when there was an eclipse (when a shadow falls over the sun or moon). And Dr. Mid-Nite can see in darkness. Hey, here's an idea: what if this show's Dr. Mid-Nite's blackout bombs didn't just create black smoke but channeled shadow energy from the Shadowlands to create areas of artificial shadow? Maybe that's why we haven't seen them yet.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

So a quick question:

I just started watching, and am enjoying season 1 so far (four episodes in). However, do they ever explain how such a mediocre IJA line-up beat a JSA one that included The Thunderbolt, Fate, GL, Flash, etc….? I know episode 1 starts off with the JSA already having pretty much lost, but do they ever mention how they managed to beat such a stacked line-up? Because so far only Icicle and Grundy and maybe Shade? (the last two I have only seen in the background) appear to be actual threats.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Astonishing Member

Smallville had the same problem. Fate was easily killed. The answer is for the current set to be in the forefront, old powerhouses had to be taken off the stage. Just PiS.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    So a quick question:

I just started watching, and am enjoying season 1 so far (four episodes in). However, do they ever explain how such a mediocre IJA line-up beat a JSA one that included The Thunderbolt, Fate, GL, Flash, etc….? I know episode 1 starts off with the JSA already having pretty much lost, but do they ever mention how they managed to beat such a stacked line-up? Because so far only Icicle and Grundy and maybe Shade? (the last two I have only seen in the background) appear to be actual threats.
    ISA staged a coordinated attack on JSA HQ when the team was having some down time and pick off members one by one.

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I think Thunderbolt would almost be a non factor in the fight. We saw how he dicked around with Mike. I'd be amazed if he could actually be useful in the heat of battle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    So a quick question:

Maybe because this show is to a large extent for people who aren't comic book fans, and those people don't know this is a weak Injustice Society lineup. So, they're allowing the audience to assume this lineup is as strong as any other. Like, if you were an outsider and you only knew that Dr. Fate did magic and the Wizard did magic, would you automatically assume that Fate is awesome while the Wizard is a weak-ass magician? No. You'd probably assume they were on equal standing until told otherwise.

There's all sorts of preconceived notions and ideas in comics about who's strong and who's weak. Who's cool and who's lame. And a certain amount of it is actually due to power creep or media influence or that weird "popularity=power" dynamic you see in superhero comics. And sometimes it can have some annoying side effects. Like how much overcompensation DC has done to get people to see Aquaman as a big, tough manly man because he was seen as weak by people who watched a cartoon in the '70s. Or how everyone thinks Superman doesn't have any decent villains besides Luthor because of how powerful he is. Or how MCU fans dump on Hawkeye because he's "just a guy with a bow". Or the entire public image of Jubilee.

What I'm saying here is, maybe don't stress power levels and stuff too much and . . . just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I've been looking forward to this episode for so long, but I have to say, one little thing did disappoint me. I know Jakeem's magic words are "So Cool", but I really wanted to hear "Cei-U" or "Say You". Maybe we'll see more of Ethan Embry (wow, that flashback was great, even Wildcat was in it!) as Johnny Thunder using the Thunderbolt, but it feels like such a missed opportunity right there.
    I feel like Johnny said "Say You" or somebody said "Say You" at some point in the episode.

To be honest it feels weird for me to imagine the phrase was always "So Cool" because I can't imagine Johnny saying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Honestly, I think Thunderbolt would almost be a non factor in the fight. We saw how he dicked around with Mike. I'd be amazed if he could actually be useful in the heat of battle.
    Yeah, it took them like hours to come up with a spell they were sure would work. It seemed like Johnny was barely able to get the Thunderbolt to do what he needed it to do consistently and it caused more trouble for the JSA than it solved, which is why he felt like dead weight.

What's the back story of the jsa on this show? Because if they were active in the 2000s, their costumes could've been a lot flashier. Johnny thunder in particular looked like he stepped out of the 1940s, which Would've been fine, if that's where they were. I think I like the shade, and the thunderbolt.

Incredible Member

I think the premise of the first season just has to be accepted. I don't think you
    can really believe the whole JSA would be wiped out way, it was just a way to start
    the show with the new JSA. They could have probably come up with a better
    scenario, but the point was to get as quickly as possible to the young 'uns.

While we are getting lost in the details. A green tweed suit would have been nice.
    Let's be honest Johnny Thunder was never the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    While we are getting lost in the details. A green tweed suit would have been nice.
    Let's be honest Johnny Thunder was never the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    That's what we love about him though .

I feel like Johnny said "Say You" or somebody said "Say You" at some point in the episode.

To be honest it feels weird for me to imagine the phrase was always "So Cool" because I can't imagine Johnny saying that.

Yeah, it took them like hours to come up with a spell they were sure would work. It seemed like Johnny was barely able to get the Thunderbolt to do what he needed it to do consistently and it caused more trouble for the JSA than it solved, which is why he felt like dead weight.
    I always thought that the magic word for Tbolt wasn't actually Say You but that it was the closest English sounding phrase to the Badhnesian word that was the magic word. I remember a lot of captions in the day saying that Say You was close to the word cei-u but not exact. Maybe So Cool is the current phrase that's closest.

The Dead weight thing was also present in all star comics back in the day. The rest of the team had to save Johnny from himself more often than not, it was like they kept him around just so they could monitor the very powerful Thunderbolt closer. So I can understand Pat's reaction to how dangerous the pen was

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I always thought that the magic word for Tbolt wasn't actually Say You but that it was the closest English sounding phrase to the Badhnesian word that was the magic word. I remember a lot of captions in the day saying that Say You was close to the word cei-u but not exact. Maybe So Cool is the current phrase that's closest.

The Dead weight thing was also present in all star comics back in the day. The rest of the team had to save Johnny from himself more often than not, it was like they kept him around just so they could monitor the very powerful Thunderbolt closer. So I can understand Pat's reaction to how dangerous the pen was
    Yeah, the phrase is actually "Cei-U" but Johnny forgot it and always just accidentally used it whenever he matter-of-factly said "Say You."

Maybe the Thunderbolt in-universe updates the phrase to the closest era equivalent.