Page 143 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2791
    Incredible Member

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    The problem here is that you used Gotham as an example. All tech/science genius' in Gotham are to the far right on the insanity scale.

It's why more of Batman's enemies go to Arkham Asylum instead of the penitentiary
    It happens in Metropolis too. Star Labs is a regular supervillain factory.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think they just didn't want to have the actor wearing that clunky hourglass around his neck all the time, especially in his civvies, since they rarely put on their full costumes these days. I think they'll repurpose Tyler's formula/tech in some way - that presumably won't look like super steroids, which is why they used the hourglass in the first place.
    It's interesting to me that there's such a stigma in getting one's powers from drugs. It's not like he's entering any competition or cheating at sports, but risking his life to save others

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Things like that is why I will always prefer business man Luthor over mad scientist Luthor.
    Who, despite being worth billions...tries to kill Superman :P

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    It's interesting to me that there's such a stigma in getting one's powers from drugs. It's not like he's entering any competition or cheating at sports, but risking his life to save others
    True. Steroids don't give you instant strength like Miraclo, Popeye's spinach, etc., either, since you have to work twice as hard to achieve the benefits of the drug.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

They made an interesting choice of tearing down Yolanda and Rick but not Beth. I guess that might be because she's closer to connecting with her predecessor, whose situation ties closer into the main plot. But it's possible Beth will end up being the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was suspicious of that Chapel family meeting when the parents showed up during the day and the mom actually made food when Beth seems to be the only one in this family that dedicated, but it turns out that when the Eclipso illusions started. It's kind of terrifying that Eclipso is so effective that you're never quite sure when reality sets back in or when you're stuck in a fantasy until someone or something wakes you out of it. Rick was whammied as soon as that radio call talked about the hunters showing up (at least I assume).
    Yeah, Eclipso is operating like he's Pennywise.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    They made an interesting choice of tearing down Yolanda and Rick but not Beth. I guess that might be because she's closer to connecting with her predecessor, whose situation ties closer into the main plot. But it's possible Beth will end up being the MVP.

Yeah, Eclipso is operating like he's Pennywise.
    Seriously. They've done a great job with Eclipso so far. His design is great, the actor sells the shit out of his lines, and he's truly menacing. We've barely even see him really be physical other than when he first got out of the black diamond. The past two episodes of him psychologically effing with our heroes really sells his creep factor. He seems like he's having fun or getting off on it. I was soooo not expecting the racist lines either, but it helped sell him as this corruptive, manipulative, and evil force. Beth used to annoy the crap out of me but I'm warming up to her. I'm glad the writers realized they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with Beth and are slowly climbing their way out of that rut with character progression and closely linking it to McNider and the A-plot of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I think it's probably also because Beth had the most to prove because both in-universe and out she's always seemed like the weak link of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It happens in Metropolis too. Star Labs is a regular supervillain factory.
    The difference is that Star Labs tends to create bad guys by accidents in scientific experiments more than just tech made.

Ultimate Member

Man, the JSA can kinda be dicks.

Shushing Pat with a 'members only' discussion?

Mighty Member

Very powerful episode. It was nice seeing Jay with the rest of the original JSA members in those flashbacks.

Incredible Member

It was an interesting episode. The larger theme was Eclipso probing the Dugan family.
    Each of them, except for Courtney, was having to face various demons.

There were large flashbacks to the JSA. In which they dealt with a potential threat.
    I suppose the problem for me was the vote scene. If they were really tied, didn't
    think of Pat as a true member, then why did he get to cast the fifth vote? I mean it
    was 3-1 among the JSA.

I also wonder about the whole "no kill" rule of the JSA, the notion that they have supposedly
    crossed a line here. An event they found so disturbing that they were unable to be together, until
    they joined together again only to be killed off.

I suppose you could argue that the DCEU operates in a slightly different universe, so the rules
    are different here. But there was that whole range of experiences they had during World War II.
    Where many of them went on missions that led to the deaths of Axis soldiers. Did all these stories
    published in DC Comics from the Golden Age never really happen here? Did what we read about in
    All Star Squadron and Young All Stars never take place either? I mean Roy Thomas wrote Japanese-American
    internment in such a way that there were people who felt very conflicted, but were inclined to go
    along with the government. Then you have the initial breakup of the organization being due to McCarthyism.

The point is that based on the comics at least this wasn't the JSA's first ethical, moral rodeo. It just rang
    hollow to me. Now I suppose if you want to say that well the JSA in the DCEU never really wrestled with those
    issues, I guess you can buy that. But then I would like to know, just out of my own curiosity, what exactly their
    history looks like here.

My own head canon if you will is that the JSA who fought during World War II were tough minded people who were
    willing to do what was necessary, even kill. It's the Nazi's, the Japanese empire or us, kind of thing. That doesn't mean
    that they are people bumping off every supervillain they arrest. They do have a moral code, but it can be bent. That at
    least can be reconciled with their history. But I know others will probably feel differently.

I have enjoyed Wildcat as well a major league jerk (I'd use stronger language, but well don't want to shock anyone). Because that is how I have always seen Ted Grant, as at best
    the lovable curmudgeon, but someone who has some misogyny at least based on his interactions with Power Girl. The
    Star Spangled Kid and Stripesy relationship was also described in a very interesting kind of way. Sylvester could be pretty
    tough with Pat, almost the aristocrat ordering around the hired help. But then they still love and care for one another, even
    when Pat disagrees with his decisions.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Incredible Member

I also thought the scenes with Mike were very well done. You can sense Mike continued to struggle with the ethical dilemma of
    what has gone on before. You wonder how that will be developed in the future.

I'm looking forward to next week when they go on the road to go find Jade. I hope Obsidian is going to make an appearance, but that may
    just be me.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.

I think the thing wasn't that it wasn't killing someone in battle or self defense. They had to murder Bruce Gordon.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

We never really saw the fight. It certainly was made clear they offered no quarter.