Page 26 of 187 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    All signs point to that being the Shining Knight. For one, it was in the Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. comics. But also, if you look closely the name tag on his jumpsuit says "Justin" on it and his cap has a picture of a flying horse on it. So, I imagine there's going to be some kind of story about Sylvester Pemberton's old team the Seven Soldiers of Victory. Probably framed as the team he belonged to when he was a "rookie" before moving up to the big leagues of the JSA.
    Then here's a question, if there's some sort of mention or even flashback of the Seven Soldiers, is that going to include Green Arrow and Speedy?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be a pretty dark origin for the new Dr. Mid-Nite.
    I suppose. Okay, maybe it's a temporary blindness but she gets to keep the powers after her vision comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    On the one hand Courtney just happening to choose someone with powers as her first recruit is awfully convenient for the plot. On the other hand if all the heroes are totem based (Courtney's staff, Yolanda's gloves, Hourman's hourglass, ...) then why hasn't Pat been looking for new heroes to wield them (other than these kids)?
    Pat's job is to pass on the staff. Maybe each JSAer intended for their sidekick/valet to find their successor. That's why Hootie is there keeping watch over Mid-Nite's things. Maybe Doiby Dickles is out there looking for the next Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    A bigger concern for me is how they are going to climax the series. Originally I didn't know how these junior JSA with only Hourman, Stargirl, Wildcat and doctor Midnight could possibly take on an ISA that stomped the JSA.
    Thunderbolt ex machina?

Astonishing Member

It was made pretty clear that he didnt beleive the cosmic staff worked for anyone other than Starman. Why would the other artifacts be any different. Lets not forget that the Lantern chose Alan Scot (in the comics) it was literly passed around for centuries without bestowing power.

Added to which we dont know if the other JSAers are artifact powered or not. My guess is we'll find out not otherwise why have Rick Tyler become the new Hourman, the heridatary link isnt required (after all in the comics Miraclo was altered by Rex to only work on the Tyler DNA.

For those saying JSA HQ was in Blue Valley. If it was Hourman wouldnt havr had to track the ISA to Blue Valley and Pat wouldnt have had to go there to check it out as that is where they both would have been
    My original problem with all this is Wildcat (and any other non-genetic JSAers).

The options seem to be:

1)The suit makes you Wildcat and that's it. Nothing special about Yolanda, she just happens to be who Courtney gives the suit. If she gave it to Pat's son he'd be Wildcat. If the ISA had taken the suit and given it to an ally of theirs that person would get the enhanced abilities. If that is the case then it seems interesting that no one before Courtney realizes this.

2) There are a limited number of people who the suit will work for (genetics, magic, whatever) and by sheer luck Courntney finds the right person for the suit on her first try. With that luck, Courtney should play the lottery.

3) Yolanda has powers (like in the comic) and again just happens to be part of a cluster of people almost all in Blue Valley able to oppose the ISA. Unless we hear that "mutants" are a dime-a-dozen or that the ISA somehow created the conditions creating that cluster of supers, it seems forced.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    He's not supposed to be fighting anybody really. He's supposed to be distributing those super-powered artifacts to new owners instead of letting them sit there collecting dust while he wallows in stupidity.
    What new owners? It's not like he can put out an ad in the paper or social media asking for someone who is interested in fighting super villains that killed the planet's only superhero team.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    He had every reason to be looking for new wielders, because the Injustice Society were not gone. He just failed to locate them. It might be understandable to be scared of giving them to new people, but battlefield desertion is also understandable. Sickening, but understandable.
    Battlefield desertion implies the battle in question was still ongoing. It wasn't. Or at least that is how it appeared.

My original problem with all this is Wildcat (and any other non-genetic JSAers).

The options seem to be:

1)The suit makes you Wildcat and that's it. Nothing special about Yolanda, she just happens to be who Courtney gives the suit. If she gave it to Pat's son he'd be Wildcat. If the ISA had taken the suit and given it to an ally of theirs that person would get the enhanced abilities. If that is the case then it seems interesting that no one before Courtney realizes this.

2) There are a limited number of people who the suit will work for (genetics, magic, whatever) and by sheer luck Courntney finds the right person for the suit on her first try. With that luck, Courtney should play the lottery.

3) Yolanda has powers (like in the comic) and again just happens to be part of a cluster of people almost all in Blue Valley able to oppose the ISA. Unless we hear that "mutants" are a dime-a-dozen or that the ISA somehow created the conditions creating that cluster of supers, it seems forced.
    You've completely missed my point.

Pat clearly didnt beleive that the cosmic rod would work for anyone else. If the other JSAers were totem powered why would he think differently of their totems?

Why would the ISA even know the JSA have totems or artifacts of power. With the obvious exception of GL, Starman, and maybe Dr Fate its not obvious. We've clearly seen the rod only works for who it wants to. We know in the comics the lantern chose who to give power to (never mind that Alan never carries the lantern with him and the ring is useless without it)

Its just not a natural extension how its been shown that Pat or the ISA would even think these artifacts would work for anyone other than who they belonged to (even if they knew they were the source of their power)

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post

Thunderbolt ex machina?
    Did you not read the rest of my post?
    That was my original concern. Now that BW and the Wizard are taken out my concern is the opposite that the remaining ISA dont have enough power to be a decent enough threat to the jnr JSA. Grundy is locked up, hes more likely to turn onnhisnteam mates if they kept him innthat cell for 10 years. No sign of Shade. That only leave Icicle and a bunch of non powered mooks

Astonishing Member

You've completely missed my point.

Pat clearly didnt beleive that the cosmic rod would work for anyone else. If the other JSAers were totem powered why would he think differently of their totems?

Why would the ISA even know the JSA have totems or artifacts of power. With the obvious exception of GL, Starman, and maybe Dr Fate its not obvious. We've clearly seen the rod only works for who it wants to. We know in the comics the lantern chose who to give power to (never mind that Alan never carries the lantern with him and the ring is useless without it)

Its just not a natural extension how its been shown that Pat or the ISA would even think these artifacts would work for anyone other than who they belonged to (even if they knew they were the source of their power)
    I got your point. My problem is that if the totems don't automatically empower people it makes sense for Stripesy and the ISA not to think of using them or passing them on. That part I agree with.

But if the totems only work for certain people (like the staff for Courtney) then I'm willing to accept the staff just happening to work for Pat's step-daughter. It just gets harder eqach time she finds a new hero (Yolanda, Beth, Rick) that they just happen to be in the same small town as the others and happen to be who Courtney offers a totem to.

Either the totems only work for a small select group and thus no one considers the possibility of passing them on before Courtney because only the original JSA ever made them work. Thus it becomes implausible for Courtney to just stumble on new wielders easily because they are all her age and in the same town.

Or the totems work for Yolanda, Beth and Rick because the selection criteria is vague enough that Courtney could have selected other people in Blue Valley and succeeded, which makes it unlikely that no one before Courtney discovered that people other than the JSA could use them.

The show seems to want it both ways. They want it to be plausible that no one else knew that Wildcat's suit might work for other people. The ISA didn't suspect this. Pat never suspected this. No one connected to the deceased JSAers knew this. But somehow all that is needed is for Courtney to give the suit to a classmate and that person gains powers. And the same thing will happen with Beth (presumably the 2nd or 3rd attempt to do this). Rick may or may not be genetically advantaged as Hourman's son (unless they make the hourglass a totem and bypass the "super-steroid" Miraclo, as i suspect they are going to do).

I have a few ide3as hw it could be made less implausible. Maybe the writers will them or some other idea to cover this. But based on the last 20 Years (Smallville= now) I'm expecting they will just go with "ah it is fiction it doesn't need to make sense" like prior shows do.

I got your point. My problem is that if the totems don't automatically empower people it makes sense for Stripesy and the ISA not to think of using them or passing them on. That part I agree with.

But if the totems only work for certain people (like the staff for Courtney) then I'm willing to accept the staff just happening to work for Pat's step-daughter. It just gets harder eqach time she finds a new hero (Yolanda, Beth, Rick) that they just happen to be in the same small town as the others and happen to be who Courtney offers a totem to.

Either the totems only work for a small select group and thus no one considers the possibility of passing them on before Courtney because only the original JSA ever made them work. Thus it becomes implausible for Courtney to just stumble on new wielders easily because they are all her age and in the same town.

Or the totems work for Yolanda, Beth and Rick because the selection criteria is vague enough that Courtney could have selected other people in Blue Valley and succeeded, which makes it unlikely that no one before Courtney discovered that people other than the JSA could use them.

The show seems to want it both ways. They want it to be plausible that no one else knew that Wildcat's suit might work for other people. The ISA didn't suspect this. Pat never suspected this. No one connected to the deceased JSAers knew this. But somehow all that is needed is for Courtney to give the suit to a classmate and that person gains powers. And the same thing will happen with Beth (presumably the 2nd or 3rd attempt to do this). Rick may or may not be genetically advantaged as Hourman's son (unless they make the hourglass a totem and bypass the "super-steroid" Miraclo, as i suspect they are going to do).

I have a few ide3as hw it could be made less implausible. Maybe the writers will them or some other idea to cover this. But based on the last 20 Years (Smallville= now) I'm expecting they will just go with "ah it is fiction it doesn't need to make sense" like prior shows do.
    I dont dissagree with that.
    I dont think the where Wildcat is concerned it will be totem based. Hourman could be, there was the fact that Tex had worked on a black light bath of miraclo after he found the drug addictive.

We do have an explaination as to why Rick is in Blue Valley (his dad tracking the ISA there), thiugh honestly thats an even bigger stretch. I mean whats the likelyhood he dragged his wife and son on a JSA mission, rather than leave them at the family mansion near his chemical plant ??

I dont think the ISA or anyone would have had much of a burning need for Midnight's goggles. Also re Alan's Lantern, did everyone notice there was jo ring with it? I suspect the ISA actually took that and found out it didnt work long. Not that it matters, the ring was formed from the lantern.

We know that we are getting Sir Justin (because Justin the Janitor is there). I'd like to thinknwe might also see a returned Ted Grant (due to resurrection). There was a story in the bromze age wher Batman came across an amnesiac Ted in south America. I'd also like to think Alan can return in a sentinel form. Its possible it could take him a decade or more to reform from energy. Jay for that matter might have run so fast he entered the speed force and can return from there (worked for Barry in comics).

The possibilities for a few to return are there, even rex from that point in time he was in in comics

Astonishing Member

I dont dissagree with that.
    I dont think the where Wildcat is concerned it will be totem based. Hourman could be, there was the fact that Tex had worked on a black light bath of miraclo after he found the drug addictive.

We do have an explaination as to why Rick is in Blue Valley (his dad tracking the ISA there), thiugh honestly thats an even bigger stretch. I mean whats the likelyhood he dragged his wife and son on a JSA mission, rather than leave them at the family mansion near his chemical plant ??

I dont think the ISA or anyone would have had much of a burning need for Midnight's goggles. Also re Alan's Lantern, did everyone notice there was jo ring with it? I suspect the ISA actually took that and found out it didnt work long. Not that it matters, the ring was formed from the lantern.

We know that we are getting Sir Justin (because Justin the Janitor is there). I'd like to thinknwe might also see a returned Ted Grant (due to resurrection). There was a story in the bromze age wher Batman came across an amnesiac Ted in south America. I'd also like to think Alan can return in a sentinel form. Its possible it could take him a decade or more to reform from energy. Jay for that matter might have run so fast he entered the speed force and can return from there (worked for Barry in comics).

The possibilities for a few to return are there, even rex from that point in time he was in in comics
    I get why Rick is there. The black light stuff though is the comics. All we seem to know right now is that Rick will become the new Hourman. so it could be Miraclo related, but as others have said having a drug that gives you powers probably isn't going to fly even n a WB show. Arrow used it but played up far more negative effects than would make sense if you want your main character based on using it.

And the only reason I keep bringing up the totems, is that if the the costumes aren't the source of the powers- then other than Rick and Courtney why do at least Beth and Yolanda wind up heroes? Having Dr Mid-nite's origin occur once is hard to believe, but this is a superhero show. Buy when you recreate the origin for Beth it stretches it further. Because now it happens a second time. And that second person just happens to know someone with access to Doc's equipment and owl. Then we have to account for Yolanda separate from Beth (if neither is empowered by something Courtney has like a "totem"). Now miraculously four people all resembling heroes who died a decade ago appear in the same small town despite only two of them even having a JSA-link to the town.

If they later state Justin is affecting reality in someway to draw the right people together to defeat the ISA, fine. If they state that Rick's dad is not the only person with JSA connections to come to Blue Valley and Alan's kids have come here or the next Doctor Fate show up unconnected to Pat/Courtney but already empowered, I'm happy. I just fear this show is going to hang on my ability to accept that Courtney & Rick manage to recreate the JSA (or some part of it) out of their high-school classmates just because the show needs that to happen and the writers don't feel obliged to explain it.

And the only reason I keep bringing up the totems, is that if the the costumes aren't the source of the powers- then other than Rick and Courtney why do at least Beth and Yolanda wind up heroes? Having Dr Mid-nite's origin occur once is hard to believe, but this is a superhero show. Buy when you recreate the origin for Beth it stretches it further. Because now it happens a second time. And that second person just happens to know someone with access to Doc's equipment and owl. Then we have to account for Yolanda separate from Beth (if neither is empowered by something Courtney has like a "totem"). Now miraculously four people all resembling heroes who died a decade ago appear in the same small town despite only two of them even having a JSA-link to the town.
    The origin of Beth and Charles McNider isnt exactly a recreation. Somehow as a biproduct of the grenade that blinded McNider he had increased energy at night and could see in the dark but not in light.

Beth on the other hand was blinded by the explosion of an oxygen tank at her hospital during an earthquake. She didnt develop enhanced senses or high energy levels at night but Mcnider operated on her and implanted ocular implants that enhanced her vision to the point she took in too much light. In the show they could have her mother perform that surgery.

Yolanda also didnt have the same origin or powers as Ted. He gained his nine lives because of a spell put on him in the 40s temporarily changing him to a cat. She was experimented on as an embryo giving her claws and enhanced agility. They could have the work of Dr Henry King as his part of the American dream project having done this experimentation (trying to build better soldiers for this new America). That would be a kicker wouldnt it? If the ISA's diabolical experiments actually create their new enemies.

I suspect unfortunately, since we only have 13 episodes and they are covering both Dr Midnite and Hourman in a single 40-50 min episode that there will be a quicker solution to achieve this, so it mught be the totem angle. Hopefully since simply a set of infra red goggles would cover Mid-nite's power its that simple and she could have picked anyone. I also hope that because WC gets a whole episode to themselves that they delv into a hystory of her having a feral power and Courtney discovers this and then chooses her as a new WC with no power link to Ted.

Guess I'll find out soon enough, its only a couple days wait now

Astonishing Member

I think people are overthinking all this. Even if it's the king of all coincidences that the people who are meant to take on those legacies are also in Blue Valley, it's not like superhero comics aren't filled with wild coincidences anyway.

Yolanda also didnt have the same origin or powers as Ted. He gained his nine lives because of a spell put on him in the 40s temporarily changing him to a cat. She was experimented on as an embryo giving her claws and enhanced agility. They could have the work of Dr Henry King as his part of the American dream project having done this experimentation (trying to build better soldiers for this new America). That would be a kicker wouldnt it? If the ISA's diabolical experiments actually create their new enemies.

I suspect unfortunately, since we only have 13 episodes and they are covering both Dr Midnite and Hourman in a single 40-50 min episode that there will be a quicker solution to achieve this, so it mught be the totem angle. Hopefully since simply a set of infra red goggles would cover Mid-nite's power its that simple and she could have picked anyone. I also hope that because WC gets a whole episode to themselves that they delv into a hystory of her having a feral power and Courtney discovers this and then chooses her as a new WC with no power link to Ted.

Guess I'll find out soon enough, its only a couple days wait now
    https://youtu.be/89-93baM2JQ

Looks like my hopes are dashed.
    Easy cop out method for the sale of a short epsiode count it is

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The options seem to be:

What makes you think the suit will only work for a limited number of people? From the look of the trailer, the suit form fits to whoever wears it.

Ultimate Member

It could, then again even people in the same family or family line would/could have very different body types...

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Then here's a question, if there's some sort of mention or even flashback of the Seven Soldiers, is that going to include Green Arrow and Speedy?
    My guess is they'll go the same route they did in the comics and replace GA and Speedy. If I remember correctly, that line-up was Star-Spangled Kid, Stripesy, Crimson Avenger, Wing, Vigilante, Shining Knight, and the Spider (another archer character from Quality Comics who wound up being a traitor). Since I highly doubt they'll go the Nebula Man/displaced in time route (unless that's how Justin got to current times), odds are the team will have just disbanded at some point.

Still, hoping we get to see those characters. The Golden Age Vigilante is one of my favorites (and a favorite of James Robinson) and it'd be cool to see him reworked as some kind of modern-day (or 90s-centric) country western star. They could even get one to play him.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 06-07-2020 at 11:15 AM.

https://youtu.be/89-93baM2JQ

Looks like my hopes are dashed.
    Easy cop out method for the sale of a short epsiode count it is
    Hmmm, I've gone from dredding the next episode to having slight anticipation after reading this review

https://www.rogerebert.com/streaming...-engaging-cast

While it looks like I wont like the convenient waythe JSA jnr get their powers it seems at least the character development of Yolanda is going to compensate some what for it.

I read another review by a reviewer who was also given 5 episodes and it confirmed the convenient coincidences that are prevalent throughout the first 5 eps. So it looks like totem is the way it goes. Unfortunate as I was hoping for more creativity from Johns and now cant Understand why if they took this easy route to bring in the legacy characters there were so many delays in getting this off the ground