Page 29 of 187 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    The episode was good.

My only complaint is that the lady playing Yolanda is in her late twenties. Can't they find actors closer to the characters' ages to play these roles?
    That's nothing new on Sabrina the Teenage Witch MJH was 21 playing a 16 year old when the show started and back during Boy Meets World days Topanga's best friend in college was played by a 29 year old married mother of 3...it's more how the character looks on the screen instead of their actual age for many...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Courtney doesn't know that you have to say the magic word to release the Thunderbolt, or be chosen by it. Mike mentioned his friend Jakeem so we know he's coming .
    I have this expectation of Jakeem coming over to do homework with Mike. He needs a pen, and of course none of the pens Mike has work. They go into Courtney's room he gets a pen out of the pen holder on her desk. Then innocently just forgets to take it back and leaves with it all as a setup this season for a next season introduction.
    I still question Courtney's belief that the best bet for the new JSA who will fight a bunch of experienced, adult, Supervillains...is a bunch of high schoolers whom she barely knows.
    theyve chosen that path to keep it light and not go all dark like the other DCU shows.

So Cindy/Shiv was totally the one who leaked the photo, right? Yolanda just thinks it was Henry and Henry never got a chance to explain. Either that or he assumes she sent it to everybody and that's why he called her "slut" in the first episode. Either that or peer pressure even though he knows Yolanda was the victim.
    based on how Henry blew Cindy off this ep I'd say thats right. Alhough that look he gave Yolanda when he bumped into her just before he blew Cindy off, that was a pretty guilty look, so maybe he had a small part in it. Maybe his dating Yolanda was a set up to aid Cindy in her school president campaign

Dragon King is suitably creepy, and it's interesting having an outside influence intimately involved with the ISA's grand plan. Which apparently involves...erasing a generation? Are they going to wipe out a bunch of adults or something? Or the non-Blue Valley communities ?

Man, Jordan is cold (pun intended). He just hands off Wizard's body to Dragon King without a second-thought. I know he probably wants to placate Dragon King, but considering what he is likely to do to Zarick's body...that's a terrible way to treat a former comrade.
    It seemed to me that even icicle was a little bit intimidated by the dragon king he did seem a little reluctant and getting over the body and a little fearful my guess is the dragon king wants the body because of his occultist studies hoping to somehow get the power out of the wizard.

Shade betrayed the ISA? That's why he's not there? Did he not agree with the New America plan? He was there when they attacked the JSA, so it doesn't seem like that's what he had a problem with.
    It was Robinson who supposedly wrote this episode so it makes sense that shade would be like he was in the Starman series and turned a little good. More to the point though I think it's a plot device, if shade had still been in the Isa this team here was really wouldn't stand a chance of victory. As I see it the team up of BW, Wizard, Shade, and Grundie are the ones who could be a serious threat to the powerhouses of the JSA (Alan, Fate, Jay etc). To make the storyline that they killed all the JSA originals you needed them there. Since that same line up would stomp the inexperienced Stargirl, Wildcat, Hourman and Mid-nite (i refuse to give a highschool student the Dr title) they have to be removed as an opponent. We've already seen brainwave taken out by luck wizard taking out by his teammates Grundy's locked up in a room so hardly likely to aid his former teammates and since shade has apparently left the team it leaves Icicle and all of the non powered villains to fight these kids (giving them a chance)

Wildcat has a thorough wikipedia page but Yolanda has no idea who the JSA are? I guess she just wasn't into Superheroes.
    to be fair, they are supposed to be 15, the JSA were killed when they were 5. The only thing I remember from that age is that I broke my leg, I dont remember much detail at all before about age 8, i have only the vaguest recollections of my year 1 and 2 teachers.

Courtney was five seconds away from killing a bunch of people on life support. She really needs to work on her impulse control. The Cosmic Staff has a better idea of what it's doing then she does.
    I've seen it suggested in the comments on some of the video reviews on YouTube that maybe Ted Knight is actually Courtney's father or some member of the Knight family the way the cosmic Rod was excited when she said Starman was her dad to Yolanda. Someone else then suggested that maybe his essence or soul is in the staff and that's what's guiding her.

Yeah, I think Yolanda's actress is pretty convincing as a teenager.

I can buy her as a teenager easily enough

Fantastic Member

I wish Geoff had left Jakeem Thunder out of the series. This character is incredibly problematic. I know Geoff loves the golden age heroes but the Thunders make every plot nonsensical.

As much as I hate actors in their mid-20s portraying teenagers, this cast actually mostly looks young and passes as it. The Smallville cast definitely looked way too old for their character's suspected ages. Styling also plays a role, they all dress like teenagers even the fashionable ones (Cindy and Jenny) dress like regular teenage girls.

Did any Black Lightning watchers peep the T.C cameo in the beginning?

It's already enough Yolanda has to deal with scrutiny at school but home? Sadly, extremely realistic and I'm glad Stargirl touched on this topic and did a decent job at it. Yvette Monreal did a good job with that scene at the end.

I couldn't stop staring at Dragon King's eyes.

Courtney and Yolanda have fun chemistry and I'm curious to see it develop.

Courtney scoping out other students to join feels ingenuine but I get its easier for the plot. Yolanda being aware of who Wildcat is (that was Ted on her wall?) and stealing the costume herself could've been fun. Courtney convincing her to do something with it would've been a more interesting route but, what's done is done.

I didn't even realize what the car meant until after. I don't think the Zaricks are completely done yet.

Now that the episode times don't need cutting Barbara doesn't get a work scene she just can't catch a break.

I was hoping Jakeem would be closer to Courtney in age (Jakeem was roughly around her age during their JSA run right?). I'm expecting him to appear rather sooner than later now. The Thunderbolt hints have been laid on thick these past few episodes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Wildcats story had more to it than that it was retroactively written that he was kidnapped before a fight and magically changed to a cat. Either Zatara or Sargon turned him back. That is how he gained his 9 lives and why he was so youthful. Every time he gets killed he revives at the age he was last killed. Yolanda actually had the powers the suit gives her in this show in the comics. She had them because her mom was experimented on when she was pregnant.
    Oh, right. The nine lives thing. I knew about that but didn't think anyone actually liked that power or thought it was necessary in most adaptations. It just always felt like something that was necessary to explain why he wasn't 90 years old when the JSA was continuously linked to WWII. I mean, I don't think anyone outside of comics has used it. They didn't use it in JLU. They didn't use it in Arrow. They didn't use it in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I just figured it was more of a bug than a feature.

Its also not the powers but the predictability I have a problem with. We can already see that Beth will confront Yolanda about being Wildcat and that that is hiw she will get onnthe team. I'll bet that her nerdiness even leads to her knowing who Dr Mid-nite is and choosing his gear. It would have been a much more creative option if she got her powers like in the comics and it turned out that Dr Henry King wasnthenone doing those experiments on behalf of the American Dream program of the ISA. Of course that would have required a deeper dive, maybe more screen time and an extra episode or 2 to flesh out.
    They have one season to get out the story they need to get out. At least for now. A storyline about metahuman kids in a small town and the dark secret of human experimentation that created them seems like a plotline for an entire season of a show at least. Like how metahuman trafficking was a season long plot in Young Justice or how the green light drug was a major throughline in Black Lightning. It also sounds like something that shouldn't be limited to the character of Yolanda because what kind of mad scientist only does one experiment. Instead, it would be used to introduce all sorts of heroes and villains from the JSA and Infinity, Inc. comics. Like maybe Cyclone, Damage, Geomancer, etc.

So, yeah, they don't have the time for all that. At least not this season.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    I was hoping Jakeem would be closer to Courtney in age (Jakeem was roughly around her age during their JSA run right?). I'm expecting him to appear rather sooner than later now. The Thunderbolt hints have been laid on thick these past few episodes.
    I forget how old Jakeem was. I think he and Courtney were paired together because they were the "kids" of the team but I think Jakeem was definitely younger then her.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post

The step brother said that Jakeem was his friend. A high school kid he is not.

I forget how old Jakeem was. I think he and Courtney were paired together because they were the "kids" of the team but I think Jakeem was definitely younger then her.
    I always read an "older sister younger brother" vibe off of them in JSA. Jakeem was in some ways both her chance to establish herself as older and wiser as well as her karmic retribution for her earlier bratty nature

Intermediary

Luke Wilson continues to absolutely own the role of Pat Dugan

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    Luke Wilson continues to absolutely own the role of Pat Dugan
    Never been a big fan of his, but he is killing it as this dopey, gosh darn good guy. Who I think is a lot smarter than Courtney clearly gives him credit for. (which, is like none)

Intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Never been a big fan of his, but he is killing it as this dopey, gosh darn good guy. Who I think is a lot smarter than Courtney clearly gives him credit for. (which, is like none)
    he is clearly holding stuff back, and definitely a lot smarter than anyone in his family gives him credit for

Ultimate Member

Well he did make a giant transformer that can be a car or a giant robot after all...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Oh, right. The nine lives thing. I knew about that but didn't think anyone actually liked that power or thought it was necessary in most adaptations. It just always felt like something that was necessary to explain why he wasn't 90 years old when the JSA was continuously linked to WWII. I mean, I don't think anyone outside of comics has used it. They didn't use it in JLU. They didn't use it in Arrow. They didn't use it in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I just figured it was more of a bug than a feature.

They have one season to get out the story they need to get out. At least for now. A storyline about metahuman kids in a small town and the dark secret of human experimentation that created them seems like a plotline for an entire season of a show at least. Like how metahuman trafficking was a season long plot in Young Justice or how the green light drug was a major throughline in Black Lightning. It also sounds like something that shouldn't be limited to the character of Yolanda because what kind of mad scientist only does one experiment. Instead, it would be used to introduce all sorts of heroes and villains from the JSA and Infinity, Inc. comics. Like maybe Cyclone, Damage, Geomancer, etc.

So, yeah, they don't have the time for all that. At least not this season.
    I quite liked that change to Ted's story.

I understand why they've taken this route. I just feel a little cheated and that its less creative. I agree it would have taken longer and we certainly wouldnt have had a functional Wildcat so early and quickly in the series. I guess with guys like Johns and James Robinson and Colleen Mcguiness (30 Rock) writing this series I just had higher expectations.