Page 33 of 187 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Johnny Sorrow could theoretically take out everybody in an instant is he could surprise them and show his face before anyone could react. It isn't a very versatile ability, and he typically can't resist the opportunity for theatrics (fitting for a former actor) so there is normally time to react, but the power of "kill anyone merely by showing them his face" is a pretty powerful one.

Just because someone might have more power doesn't make him a slouch, or a very good ace to have up one's sleeve.
    Being able to "theoretically" take out a team doesnt come close to matching someone who has actually taken out the team. Brainwave has bested the JSA with more big guns than the line up in the show on his own several times.

He took down a line up with Fate, WW, J Thunder, Hawkman, Dr Mid-nite, Atom, Sandman, and starman in one story. Then the All Star Squadron came to save them and he took them down too.

He took on and got the best of Spectre, Fate, Starman, Hawkman, Atom, Mid-nite erc in another and did it from somewhere else in the country with just his mental projections

He took down Fate, Alan Scot, Powergirl, Flash, SSK (with the star rod) from orbit with his mental projections.

The post I replied to said theat Icicle, Grundy and Magician (I asume they meant Wizard) were the bbig guns of the ISA, but of those only Wizard is a big gun of this line up.

Comic Shade is easily on the same level as either comic Fate or Thunderbolt (and used by Johnny Tbolt was often useless because he always forgot his magic words).

Brainwave is also close to their level and on the level of Alan Scot in the comics. The Fiddler can stop the while team dead with his ppwer to control others with his fiddle or make walls and blasts of sound.

Comparitively Grundy and Icicle are fodder to those members of the team. Those fodder however are more than enough to take on the likes of Starman and Hourman and then there is all the other members. Dragon King was responsible in the comics for the magic forld around axis held territories that made superhoeres the pawns of Hitler or Tojo if they entered acis held territory, that is without his science and JUST his occultist knowledge.

Johnny sorrow doesnt offer the team that faced the JSA in that first episode anything that would make them more of a threat than the members who were/are in the TV ISA.

All of which is excluding that this TV JSA isnt the one from the comics. Sylvester Pemberton wasnt Starman, courtney doesnt have a Cosmic Converter Belt, Wildcat didnt have a suit that gave him powers and DIDN'T HAVE POWERS. Dr Midnite's goggles don't have a tech readout. We have no guarrantee than any of the fallen JSA are even like their comic counterparts, but as long as the ISA have similar changes to the JSA then the battle was never one sided and there is no reason why the team that took part couldn't win

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It makes you wonder just how public the JSA were and how big an impact they had on the world.
    It probably doesn't help that our only frame of reference is a bunch of kids who were really young when the JSA were destroyed by the ISA. Courtney at least seemed to be somewhat aware of them.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The JSA has a detailed wiki page so I would think they have a good level of recognition among the general public.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    How much longer can they drag out the question of whether or not Starman is her father? Even if you can accept that she was too young to really remember what her father looked like, there's no way she hasn't been seeing pictures of him other than that blurry locket. There must be some around - or her mother must have some. This is really stretching my suspension of disbelief. Courtney could just take a pic of the Starman in the JSA HQ ans show her mom ... or there must have been a few news photos - the guy didn't wear a mask! Have her mom look at those and confirm somehow. Or have Pat look at photos of her dad! The fact that they never even think to look at other photos to confirm is just getting ridiculous to me.
    I am thinking in the season finale, he shows up in the last few seconds at the front door. I think it's too easy that Starman is her father. I know they take liberties with character origins and such from the comics, but I think it's too nice and tidy to have Starman as her dad. Plus the vast majority of her reason for doing this is to get revenge for her dad and through this she is connecting to her dad, to find out she is not his daughter then brings down her world. She would not want to be Stargirl anymore and thus we would have the storyline where she now has to find a reason to continue being a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I am thinking in the season finale, he shows up in the last few seconds at the front door. I think it's too easy that Starman is her father. I know they take liberties with character origins and such from the comics, but I think it's too nice and tidy to have Starman as her dad. Plus the vast majority of her reason for doing this is to get revenge for her dad and through this she is connecting to her dad, to find out she is not his daughter then brings down her world. She would not want to be Stargirl anymore and thus we would have the storyline where she now has to find a reason to continue being a hero.
    Yeah, Johns created Courtney, I don't think he would alter her origin to such an extent to make her suddenly Sylvester's kid when her dad being a deadbeat and Pat being more of a father to her then he ever was was such a major part of her character.

This strikes me as more of the "darkest hour" part of the hero's journey, right before the final battle. More of an episode 12 thing than a final episode one

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    This strikes me as more of the "darkest hour" part of the hero's journey, right before the final battle. More of an episode 12 thing than a final episode one
    I wouldn't rush it in a 13 episode season. Have her find out she isn't his kid in the last episode so you can have her spend like half of season two reconciling that fact and finding a new mission and reason to be Stargirl.

I wouldn't rush it in a 13 episode season. Have her find out she isn't his kid in the last episode so you can have her spend like half of season two reconciling that fact and finding a new mission and reason to be Stargirl.
    I don't think most audience members will be entertained by 6 episodes of angsting over anything

Astonishing Member

I"m not familiar with Dragon King -- but he's very creepy. What does he have planned for the Wizard's body?

It was nice to have it confirmed that the Shade betrayed the ISA. I expect he'll become a recurring character in the near future. I'm also enjoying the bit of screen time we get with Henry, Jr. Wonder when his powers will manifest?

The JSA, though, would have benefited from having an actual female character who was a member back in the day. I don't mind Hawkgirl being a member, but would prefer Black Canary, Power Girl, and Fury or Miss America.

Ultimate Member

I've enjoyed the series, but with this rapid inclusion of heroes, why is this called Stargirl and not JSA or Infinity Inc?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I've enjoyed the series, but with this rapid inclusion of heroes, why is this called Stargirl and not JSA or Infinity Inc?
    Because the presence of other heroes doesn't stop Stargirl from being the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Because the presence of other heroes doesn't stop Stargirl from being the main character.
    Makes it a perfect fit alongside the other CW Superhero shows .

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Probably for the same reason Supergirl is called Supergirl even though in a lot of episodes Supergirl is barely in Supergirl.

Extraordinary Member

Yolanda’s younger brother is one who became the JSA curator and later the host of villain Eclipso in the comics.

In order to handle the pen, besides the magic word, you also have to be the seventh son of a seventh son. At least in the comics. Also from the credits, it seems JJ Thunder ‘s older sister is the black girl best friend of Cindy. So that should interesting.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 06-14-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yolanda’s younger brother is one who became the JSA curator and later the host of villain Eclipso in the comics.

In order to handle the pen, besides the magic word, you also have to be the seventh son of a seventh son. At least in the comics. Also from the credits, it seems JJ Thunder ‘s older sister is the black girl best friend of Cindy. So that should interesting.
    That was her cousin, IIRC.