Page 50 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think it'd be better if its revealed that they got dumped in the present while dealing with Degaton
    Problem with that then becomes it removes the origin of Obsidian from existence. So the bathed in time absorbed by Ian Karkull has to occur for him to exist.

Since it has to be for Alan's son to have his powers it makes zero sense to not also have the effect it had on the team's life expectancies and vitality.

The case for Sylvester and Pat always was a time displacement after the seven soldiers battle with Nebula man. The JSA saved them from the times they were thrown to and brought them back to the present. The only one it didnt keep young was Vigilante who they found 20 something years after he'd been sent to thenold west

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Problem with that then becomes it removes the origin of Obsidian from existence. So the bathed in time absorbed by Ian Karkull has to occur for him to exist.

Since it has to be for Alan's son to have his powers it makes zero sense to not also have the effect it had on the team's life expectancies and vitality.

The case for Sylvester and Pat always was a time displacement after the seven soldiers battle with Nebula man. The JSA saved them from the times they were thrown to and brought them back to the present. The only one it didnt keep young was Vigilante who they found 20 something years after he'd been sent to thenold west
    The TV show isn't bound by the comic book history.

Beth in the comics was an actual physician- probably at least a decade and a half older than her TV version. The TV version is the only sighted Doctor Mid-nite/Midnight as Charles, Beth and Pietr were all conventionally blind (except for night-vision).
    Yolanda is also different in age and origin.

So why exactly are we worried about Obsidian (who may not even exist) having parts of his comic backstory invalidated?

Maybe Alan was trapped in the Shadowlands (still wearing his ring) during the battle with the ISA. As a result he "fathered" chidren who manifest shadowland energy (Obsidian) and the green flame (Jade). These kids would be energy that assumes human form when they are "freed" along with Alan.
    Or maybe Alan's kids were hidden like Rick Harris. Jenny went with a relative and The Shade took Todd (as a penance for what happened to Alan).
    Or maybe we don't even get Obsidian and Alan's legacy is just someone Courtney chooses to give the ring to- a character not seen in the comics.

And that is without even considering if some explanation like Karkull energy or Degaton/Ragnarok time-jumps will even be mentioned for why Charles was active into his 90's. And so far Charles is the only guy confirmed as active in the 1940's. Ted Grant having boxing matches that Yolanda can find footage of implies his boxing career was recent (compared to his being a contemporary of Joe Louis). Hourman seemed to be married and fathering kids in the 200's without any gray hair (Even the comics version aged some in 60 years). Until we see Charles out of costume, I'm not buying that he looked that young when he died.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 06-27-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And extrapolating on their age having survived and fighting that long, we know there was already more to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Dr. Mid-Nite:
    Born 1914
    Died: 2010
    JSA Member: 1941 - 2010

So he was 96!?
    When we see him during the opening battle of the first episode.

What does that imply for the rest of the JSA too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Until we see Charles out of costume, I'm not buying that he looked that young when he died.
    Actor playing him is 48. (just looked him up, had no idea apparently Elliot from ET LOL! random!)
    So yeah for a pretty much confirmed 96 yo, there's already likely some potential alt time/dimension/reality displacement going on with them.

The TV show isn't bound by the comic book history. .
    This^, they've already changed so much, not sure how anyone is still bringing what happened in the comics (which are full of it's own retcons) as any "proof" of what can or can't be, on the show.

Also there seem to be many clinging to the idea this is going to evolve into some kind of classic JSA show, if that's the only reason they are watching they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
    They are mostly a loose interpretation background vehicle to give some nebulous history and context, for the new featured cast to build off.

It'd be like watching Titans and expecting/hoping for when it evolves into a Batman or Justice League centered show.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-28-2020 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I figured it would have happened (pulled from time) sometime in the 1960s, because of of how much older Sylvester was, and because of Rex’s love for his 1966 Mustang.
    It's be funny if Rex loved that car because to him it seems so futuristic.

One thing about them being long-lived is that I am thinking that ties into the characters having different names. Maybe Starman is Courtney's father, but to hide being long-lived, they changed names a few times. Also explains the name/history discrepancies in Rex's journal.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, a few people have suggested they retcon the JSA to getting dumped into a future era while they were still young. So they'd have been dumped about 20 years ago -- enough time to start families.
    If that were the case, then Staman was of high school age when he initially became a superhero (since Pat met Sylvester for the first time when the latter was around 15). IOW, I'm not holding my breath in regard to that theory.

PS Yes, I know the CB Sylvester Pemberton was a kid, but the CW version appears to be of the same age as his JSA comrades.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The TV show isn't bound by the comic book history.

Beth in the comics was an actual physician- probably at least a decade and a half older than her TV version. The TV version is the only sighted Doctor Mid-nite/Midnight as Charles, Beth and Pietr were all conventionally blind (except for night-vision).
    Yolanda is also different in age and origin.

So why exactly are we worried about Obsidian (who may not even exist) having parts of his comic backstory invalidated?

Maybe Alan was trapped in the Shadowlands (still wearing his ring) during the battle with the ISA. As a result he "fathered" chidren who manifest shadowland energy (Obsidian) and the green flame (Jade). These kids would be energy that assumes human form when they are "freed" along with Alan.
    Or maybe Alan's kids were hidden like Rick Harris. Jenny went with a relative and The Shade took Todd (as a penance for what happened to Alan).
    Or maybe we don't even get Obsidian and Alan's legacy is just someone Courtney chooses to give the ring to- a character not seen in the comics.

And that is without even considering if some explanation like Karkull energy or Degaton/Ragnarok time-jumps will even be mentioned for why Charles was active into his 90's. And so far Charles is the only guy confirmed as active in the 1940's. Ted Grant having boxing matches that Yolanda can find footage of implies his boxing career was recent (compared to his being a contemporary of Joe Louis). Hourman seemed to be married and fathering kids in the 200's without any gray hair (Even the comics version aged some in 60 years). Until we see Charles out of costume, I'm not buying that he looked that young when he died.
    Its literally the MOST COMIC ACCURATE tv show of a DV character. The only changes this far done are to makenit remain Stargirl Centric. That is the other JSAers have changed to not be around before her.

The footage of Ted Grants fight was in black.and freakin white. So its pre the early 60s. That mind you was the fightnto regain his world title after discrace. So his last regained titles was no later than 63/64. Ergo he was a world champ some time in the 50s (which guess what sits with the history ofnthe character because he wasnt world champ in the GA

Why are we worried about Obsidian? On DCU forums there are around 50 posters hoping hes one of the new legacies, on here I've seen almost 20 posters mention it, on reddit I've seen a few dozen list him as someone they want to see. On KMC there have only been 5 posters mention him. So there seems to be quite a reasonable amount of the fanbase that wants him.

Never mind the fact that he was one of the first openly gay male Superheroes in comics and this show is aired on the CW??????

Ultimate Member

I'm curious, has it been confirmed that the JSA is from the WW2 era? I know we have the readout on Beth's goggles, but that is easily a 'blink and miss it' kind of thing.

I know Pat was talking about how it was a different era and all when he started, it just seems odd that no one's brought up how long this team's been around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If that were the case, then Staman was of high school age when he initially became a superhero (since Pat met Sylvester for the first time when the latter was around 15). IOW, I'm not holding my breath in regard to that theory.

PS Yes, I know the CB Sylvester Pemberton was a kid, but the CW version appears to be of the same age as his JSA comrades.
    Age-wise he might be close to the other actors but I did kind of get a feeling Starman and Pat might have been younger/later additions to the JSA.

Although Johnny's also the "kid" of the group so they might have been comparable age-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm curious, has it been confirmed that the JSA is from the WW2 era? I know we have the readout on Beth's goggles, but that is easily a 'blink and miss it' kind of thing.

I know Pat was talking about how it was a different era and all when he started, it just seems odd that no one's brought up how long this team's been around.
    Didn't the intro say they were around for decades? I thought that was nebulous enough to accommodate them having started in WW2.

Pat is definitely holding out and I'm surprised Courtney didn't notice that the old news article with Stars & Stripesy was from the 40s (pretty sure from what I could see of the date on the paper)

Is there any way this is kinda like Zot where this alternate earth is actually 1950-something on their calendar, but technology is as advanced as 2020? (because of Ted Knight and/or per Degaton?)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Pat is definitely holding out and I'm surprised Courtney didn't notice that the old news article with Stars & Stripesy was from the 40s (pretty sure from what I could see of the date on the paper)

Is there any way this is kinda like Zot where this alternate earth is actually 1950-something on their calendar, but technology is as advanced as 2020? (because of Ted Knight and/or per Degaton?)
    No, they set the JSA's deaths pretty firmly in 2010 thanks to Charles McNider's bio per the goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No, they set the JSA's deaths pretty firmly in 2010 thanks to Charles McNider's bio per the goggles.
    Duh, you're right .....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't the intro say they were around for decades? I thought that was nebulous enough to accommodate them having started in WW2.
    Well, unless the JSA was originally from a different universe, it would be silly having Ted Grant fighting for the heavyweight title back when my parents were babies and then in this century.

Astonishing Member

Its literally the MOST COMIC ACCURATE tv show of a DV character. The only changes this far done are to makenit remain Stargirl Centric. That is the other JSAers have changed to not be around before her.
    The show has had a handful of episodes. And so far the comic accuracy outside of the Stars and STRIPE stuff has been hit or miss.
    Was Yolanda experimented on by Dr. Love? Are her claws and powers inherent and not part of her costume?
    Was Charles McNider in the comics ever an AI?
    Rick's parents on the comics didn't die when he was a kid.

I understand why they changed these facts for the show, my point is that the show isn't trying to match the comics and i don't expect them to. One of Geoff Johns' JSA characters Nuklon/Atom-smasher is either not coming to the show or will require a major new backstory as this JSA never had Al Pratt's Atom shown as a member. Guys like Per Degaton aren't necessarily part of this JSA's history.

The footage of Ted Grants fight was in black.and freakin white. So its pre the early 60s. That mind you was the fightnto regain his world title after discrace. So his last regained titles was no later than 63/64. Ergo he was a world champ some time in the 50s (which guess what sits with the history ofnthe character because he wasnt world champ in the GA
    I'm not sure how much of that was planned and how much of that is your own interpretation, but I'll concede that Ted may be closer to his comic book age.

Why are we worried about Obsidian? On DCU forums there are around 50 posters hoping hes one of the new legacies, on here I've seen almost 20 posters mention it, on reddit I've seen a few dozen list him as someone they want to see. On KMC there have only been 5 posters mention him. So there seems to be quite a reasonable amount of the fanbase that wants him.

Never mind the fact that he was one of the first openly gay male Superheroes in comics and this show is aired on the CW??????
    I'm not trying to argue Obsidian won't appear. Just saying that at this point anything about him is speculation. The show might not be renewed and all of Johns' comments about things paying off could go up in smoke. Season Two might go in a different direction and things like Jakeem Thunder might be put on a back burner. They might cast an actor to play Todd and then the guy's social media postings from a decade ago make him radioactive. Until we see an episode with Obsidian, nothing they say on the show either ensures his appearance or makes it impossible for them to introduce him (although maybe in a less comic accurate way).

I'm not sure how much of that was planned and how much of that is your own interpretation, but I'll concede that Ted may be closer to his comic book age.
    Man, if the film Courtney and Yolanda saw of Ted was pre-'60s, then they are complete morons for not addressing the age problem. Also, for a team that might have existed for 70-something years and only ended 10 years prior, they don't seem to be on everybody's radar. That doesn't sound CB-accurate to me.

Just saying that at this point anything about him is speculation.
    You are correct, sir.

Well, unless the JSA was originally from a different universe, it would be silly having Ted Grant fighting for the heavyweight title back when my parents were babies and then in this century.
    It's Ted Grant though. He'd be fighting well into retirement age .
    Man, if the film Courtney and Yolanda saw of Ted was pre-'60s, then they are complete morons for not addressing the age problem. Also, for a team that might have existed for 70-something years and only ended 10 years prior, they don't seem to be on everybody's radar. That doesn't sound CB-accurate to me.
    Or they're just not thinking about the age problem. They know how old Charles McNider was.

Probably older people would remember the JSA moreso than Courtney's generations, but it's been 10 years since they were relevant so I think it makes sense they would start to fade into memory to some degree.