Page 51 of 187 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's Ted Grant though. He'd be fighting well into retirement age .
    I can't dispute that.

Or they're just not thinking about the age problem. They know how old Charles McNider was.

Probably older people would remember the JSA moreso than Courtney's generations, but it's been 10 years since they were relevant so I think it makes sense they would start to fade into memory to some degree.
    Unless they're a dime a dozen in this universe, a team of super-powered people would be known by everyone.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Unless they're a dime a dozen in this universe, a team of super-powered people would be known by everyone.
    Probably not to kids who wouldn't have had much of an experience of them being around.

Probably not to kids who wouldn't have had much of an experience of them being around.
    Forgetting the fact that they would have been old enough to have remembered hearing about them as little kids, you don't think their parents would have mentioned it at least once? No TV programs or Internet videos would have trumpeted them? The JSA is something every child would want to hear about.

Forgetting the fact that they would have been old enough to have remembered hearing about them as little kids, you don't think their parents would have mentioned it at least once? No TV programs or Internet videos would have trumpeted them? The JSA is something every child would want to hear about.
    We don't have much of a basis for how active the JSA were with the general public.

The JSA were always more in-line with being mystery men type then the Justice League, so there could be a point that their existence was more of an urban legend to some...and I guess urban legends get Wikipedia pages .

We don't have much of a basis for how active the JSA were with the general public.

The JSA were always more in-line with being mystery men type then the Justice League, so there could be a point that their existence was more of an urban legend to some...and I guess urban legends get Wikipedia pages .
    I'll grant you the first sentence you posted at the present time until we get more info, but the JSA wasn't urban legends for most of their publication history.

Extraordinary Member

As mentioned, there were Wikipedia pages on them at least.

But besides the teenagers, we’ve only seen Pat and the ISA’s thoughts on the JSA.

I’m curious what a normal adult, like say Courtney’s mom, knows publicly about the JSA.

It's also possible that no one has thought too hard about the dates put into Charles McNider's bio

It doesn't work that way in the real world why would it work that way infection my 14 year-old doesn't remember famous artists of 10 years ago or even 12 but she's really into music, movies and acting and all that sort of thing so why would a child in fiction remember something from the age of from such a young age when a real world child doesn't.

Also if you want to go by the publication history in publication history the JSA sort of retired several times throughout that after the American activities thing investigator them and they would drop their identities they went intotje shadows. The so-called death of the JSA where they fought in Ragnarok for 10 years we don't know that they were public figures at the end of their active life for all we know the last time they were publicly acknowledged as out there might have been the 50s or 60s.

We do know that superheroes were at least around because when Courtney ask her mum if her dad was a superhero she didn't reply saying they don't exist so adults were clearly aware of them

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Pat is definitely holding out and I'm surprised Courtney didn't notice that the old news article with Stars & Stripesy was from the 40s (pretty sure from what I could see of the date on the paper)
    Definitely 40s ...

Edit with clearer shot.

Which would make McNider 26 when the picture was taken
    Which seems to make sense, as Star and Stripesy would have been the young recruits.

Although that would make Pat over 70 in 2010, over 80 (today) , so yeah, there was a time rift/discrepancy.
    Him and the rest of the JSA could not have been aging with the rest of the world.
    Starman could have been Courtney's Grandpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Dr. Mid-Nite:
    Born 1914
    Died: 2010
    JSA Member: 1941 - 2010

So he was 96!?
    When we see him during the opening battle of the first episode.

What does that imply for the rest of the JSA too?
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-29-2020 at 07:46 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

So should we be spoiler tagging our thoughts for those who don't have DC Universe?

If so I need a reminder on how to do so.

Leaving space for it though.....

Great fun episode. Shining Knight with the SAVE!

Loved it. I am wondering tho what's up with him as, I dunno, it doesn't seem like he is all there. Made me wonder a bit if he has his mind scrambled, purposely or accidentally but someone and he is working his way back to who he was.

Interesting story with Cindy and how they added so many layers to her beyond just the typical mean girl and as someone said earlier, both she and Court want to show they are in the big leagues but they are not quite ready. Though this fight will probably only embolden Cindy as she had Stargirl beat until Shining Knight stepped in.

Love the discord with the ISA. I think that's what will help the kids take them down and frankly will make it believable that the kids take them down since they killed the original JSA. The ISA will end up shooting themselves in the foot with their bickering and beat themselves.

Really hoping we are not going to get any sort of Jordan/Barbara thing going. I can see an episode where Pat gets jealous and thinks that but that's all it should be if they go that route. The way the show and characters are written (to me anyway) that would be completely unnecessary. And yet something I could totally see them doing.

Wonder if Cindy knows Courtney's identity with Pat screaming it out like a dunce. Pat has his moments, but he also has moments where its like, oh thats why you were older than Starman and yet religated to the role of a sidekick named Stripesy. (God bless the golden age, lol)

More reason to think the ultimate weapon is some kinda mind altering device a la the Thinker in that crappy season of the Flash (and there have been lots of those) given they need one of the Brainwave's for it. With his father in a coma, who will be the one to tell Henry he has powers, or does his father wake up? Or does Henry access his father's mind some how and the two of them talk on some kinda astral plane? Hmm

Great episode all around, definitely keeps my interest and has me wanting to watch more.
    Last edited by KabutoRyder; 06-29-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    It doesn't work that way in the real world why would it work that way infection my 14 year-old doesn't remember famous artists of 10 years ago or even 12 but she's really into music, movies and acting and all that sort of thing so why would a child in fiction remember something from the age of from such a young age when a real world child doesn't.
    In the real world, people don't have super powers. There is no way the JSA wouldn't be celebrated decades and even centuries later just based on that. The only exception to that is if they worked in the shadows, which would mean they weren't like the CB version.

Ultimate Member

In the real world, people don't have super powers. There is no way the JSA wouldn't be celebrated decades and even centuries later just based on that. The only exception to that is if they worked in the shadows, which would mean they weren't like the CB version.
    In the real world sure.

But super powers don't seem that impossible here. I imagine that the luster wears off, after a while

Dont kid yourself.
    In a world where superpowers are reasonably common place those with them would be no different to celebrities.

People adjust to a new norm, just look at how quickly the world has changed with the current pandemic. The streets arent as busy, people arent out. Despite massive closures of businesses and normal activities the general public where I live accept it.

We have it confirmed that an All star Squadron, freedom fighters, and 7 soldiers exist. In the comic world that is over 60 costumed heroes in the early 40s and more since. For each hero there are goimgnto be a dozen or more villains

The way that such a world would treat powered individuals is the same way our world would treat celebs because they stand out just as much. That's not including the normal coping mechamisms that people would use to be able to psychologically deal with powered individuals. In a world where ppwered villains live in such numbers to not be completely overcomb by fear and paranoia people on mass would have to distance/isolate their existence withinntheir mind. The same way victims of crime, soldiers who have suffered trauma distance events innthe minds. Far from celebrated to maintain sanity a large proportion of the public would have to think of such powered individuals as not real or distant.

We dont know how openly active the JSA in this world were at the time they were killed 10 years ago. It could be that they haven't operated open in public sincenthe movement against un American activites drove them underground. They may have only just resurfeced a few months or years ago to deal with a threat that had resurfaced. The general public may have even treated their reappearance as fake/fraudulent or staged. I mean lets face it this could be costumed heroes that were last active 60 years ago (we have Dr Midnight confirmed to be active since 1941, and Sylvester and Pat as SSK and Stripsey active since 1940's in that news paper headline)

In order to process it they might treat it like fiction as it seems so umbelievable
    Last edited by beatboks; 06-29-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Well, when I was 15, I could remember Apollos 11, 12, and 13 from ten or so years earlier. With all due respect to the astronauts on those missions, I would think a team of super-powered beings would have been at least as memorable to the teens of today.

But even if they hadn't remembered the JSA, I can't believe they wouldn't have heard of them. In 1980, my generation was fully aware of Woodstock, the assassinations of the Kennedys and MLK, Kent State, the deaths of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison, etc. I'm sorry, but I can't believe the JSA would be off the radar that much.

Well, when I was 15, I could remember Apollos 11, 12, and 13 from ten or so years earlier. With all due respect to the astronauts on those missions, I would think a team of super-powered beings would have been at least as memorable to the teens of today.

But even if they hadn't remembered the JSA, I can't believe they wouldn't have heard of them. In 1980, my generation was fully aware of Woodstock, the assassinations of the Kennedys and MLK, Kent State, the deaths of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison, etc. I'm sorry, but I can't believe the JSA would be off the radar that much.
    Gertrude Berg played Molly Goldberg on her Radio/TV show the Goldberg's. She wrote, produced, starred, and directed the radio show started in 1929 and transitioned into television lasting till about 1956 and was the template for the sitcom and tackled issues like Kristallnacht. She won the 1st Emmy for Best Actress for the Goldberg's, did Broadway plays and was once voted the 2nd best known woman in America only behind Eleanor Roosevelt.

Yet this woman is barely remembered today and if you say the Goldberg's people will know the ABC sitcom not her show.

People sometimes are forgotten even the famous.