Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Drug use and sex are encouraged by mutant leaders in order to subdue and control the population.

X-Men/Secret Council hold all the power and have special privileges:
    - Summers/Grey family get to live on moon
    - Hellfire leaders have grand palaces
    - Xavier has authoritarian control. No democratic system.

Magneto and Storm gaslight the population with grand speeches and rituals that mimic religious ceremonies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Drug use and sex are encouraged by mutant leaders in order to subdue and control the population.

Magneto and Storm gaslight the population with grand speeches and rituals that mimic religious ceremonies.
    I don't know if you're joking, but I agree with all of that for once.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I don't know if you're joking, but I agree with all of that for once.
    Not joking. Hickman was definitely going for a cult vibe.

Krakoa's about as much of a cult as the United States.

BANNED

Not joking. Hickman was definitely going for a cult vibe.
    Good to know; thank you!

I'm honestly not sure if its deliberate or not. We do know they deliberately made Krakoa at least superficially a parable for Jews and the creation of Israel. There's too many religious overtone to just dismiss it. It might even be the point further down the line that the cult-like behavior is part of Xavier and Moira's plan. Or that its meant to be a sign that there's something wrong or suspicious with the entire thing.

Or it could be bad writing, and we're meant to take everything at face value and everything is meant to be above the board. Its hard to say either way for certain. Its keeping people like me from getting invested. If its meant to be totally legit, then something has gone wrong between the writing and art department because there have been sooooooooooooo many creepy vibes. If its meant to be a con/cult/grand scheme/whatever, then I'm not interested in buying a years' worth of comics to see the characters catch on that there's something fishy with this incredibly fishy setup.

Think about how much religion played into the thinking of the men who founded what would become The United States.

Accounting for said reality, no one really says "In What Way Was What Would Become The United States Like A Cult?..."

The daily bonfires.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm honestly not sure if its deliberate or not. We do know they deliberately made Krakoa at least superficially a parable for Jews and the creation of Israel. There's too many religious overtone to just dismiss it. It might even be the point further down the line that the cult-like behavior is part of Xavier and Moira's plan. Or that its meant to be a sign that there's something wrong or suspicious with the entire thing.

Or it could be bad writing, and we're meant to take everything at face value and everything is meant to be above the board. Its hard to say either way for certain. Its keeping people like me from getting invested. If its meant to be totally legit, then something has gone wrong between the writing and art department because there have been sooooooooooooo many creepy vibes. If its meant to be a con/cult/grand scheme/whatever, then I'm not interested in buying a years' worth of comics to see the characters catch on that there's something fishy with this incredibly fishy setup.
    I think it's intentional. I hope it is. Fans like me, even if it all eventually results in what we are expecting/hoping for, are not really enjoying the journey to getting there. It's funny... I expect that the fans that really like all the HoX/PoX/DoX stuff, including this direction for the X-Men and this depiction of the characters, will probably not like the ultimate end result... and the fans that would like it will probably have dropped most, if not all, of the books long before it gets here.

It's like serving a meal to a group. An announcement is made that the meal is gong to be vegan. The vegans are thrilled!! The meat eaters are disappointed and pissed and get up and leave. The meal comes out and it's chicken-pot-pie. The vegans are disappointed and pissed and they also leave. The end?

The question is, which side of fandom is this meal for, and who is wasting their time and money only to be disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Why would they get special treatment over anyone else?
    Wiccan just said why: they stopped Orchis. They sacrificed their lives to what was the most serious threat to mutantkind at the moment.

A.Mutants aren't using an drugs, The drugs for Krakoa are for humans
    B. Reproduction not Sex has been encouraged and it is not control the population
    C. Xavier doesn't have authoritarian control, He passed control to the council who will eventually pass control what form of government they decide to use. The council is temporary
    D. Big speeches are simple big speeches

The only thing culty was the first ceremony after the Orchis base attack which did a little mimic religious stuff but since that point nobody has been brought back with that type of fanfare or emphasis . But anyways one of the big point of the run is people call things and culture they don't understand as strange and different. Hickman purposely made Mutant culture different to play on that angle. If you saw a Voodoo ceremony in the Caribbean or Africa it might feel strange and cultish but for the people who it is part it is normal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    B. Reproduction not Sex has been encouraged and it is not control the population
    C. Xavier doesn't have authoritarian control, He passed control to the council who will eventually pass control what form of government they decide to use. The council is temporary

The only thing culty was the first ceremony after the Orchis base attack which did a little mimic religious stuff but since that point nobody has been brought back with that type of fanfare or emphasis . But anyways one of the big point of the run is people call things and culture they don't understand as strange and different. Hickman purposely made Mutant culture different to play on that angle. If you saw a Voodoo ceremony in the Caribbean or Africa it might feel strange and cultish but for the people who it is part it is normal.
    I mean really all religion is a cult in some respect; even Christianity started as that and was considered as such in the Roman empire.

Still, whatever vibes people get from it are valid; for some it rings a bit too close to bad experiences, others can look at it with a bit more distance. It's always going to depend on what your upbringing and or present experience is with any religion is alongside how you're able to read into it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

A. We see people partying at least every other issue. I don’t think those people are sober.
    B. Normally you need to have sex to reproduce.
    C. I’m convinced Moira, Xavier, and Magneto would black-bag someone who seriously jeopardized Krakoa, even if they were a council member. The council is probably their way of giving the biggest trouble makers the illusion of control.
    D. Yes, and speeches can be powerful tools for influencing people.

I’m not sure what mutant culture actually is aside from the Krakoan language nobody uses, the vague mutant magic •┤Ȧ├• babbles about, and I guess the resurrections. As for things feeling strange and cultish, Hickman literally said he was doing that on purpose to create tension.

BANNED

If the dried husks/empty vessels of all the mutant prisoners buried inside Krakoa are found then it will definitely be a cult scandal unlike any seen in MU.

BANNED

I feel like the OP already has its mind made up. No thanks.