Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Controversy is good for the buzz, pun intended, please continue... PASSIONATELY!

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Great Post!

Please note that these excerpts.
    The whole essay is fascinating and I encourage everyone to read it in its entirety.

Thank you. And yes MANY on this forum should read the whole essay. Some will find that they are neck deep in their own cultish way of thinking/life style and not even have realized it. Hopefully, it will encourage some to analyze and course correct.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Thank you. And yes MANY on this forum should read the whole essay. Some will find that they are neck deep in their own cultish way of thinking/life style and not even have realized it. Hopefully, it will encourage some to analyze and course correct.
    Is there anything more cultish than a small group of people obsessed with a fringe / conspiracy-like theory on something that self-validates themselves with information gathered from the internet and thinks who disagree with them can’t see THE TRUTH and will be hopefully enlightened by the above mentioned and cherry picked internet sourced information?

BANNED

I agree. Comicsgaters need to snap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    I agree. Comicsgaters need to snap out of it.
    Truth. Them and the other side whatever they choose to call themselves.

Comics and comic fans need to come back to the middle.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Truth. Them and the other side whatever they choose to call themselves.

Comics and comic fans need to come back to the middle.
    No, comics fans like you need to stop demonizing people who are pushing for better representation and general treatment of people who aren’t straight, white, and male. I see you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    No, comics fans like you need to stop demonizing people who are pushing for better representation and general treatment of people who aren’t straight, white, and male. I see you.
    What are you talking about? I haven't mentioned any of this.

Edit:

NVM.

I do believe the previous post explains perfectly.

BTW I'm not a straight white male. I'm not even American. Can't even vote in that/this country. So please miss me.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 12-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Nope. I see no Cult of Krakoa, whether implied or otherwise.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Hickman walks into X-men office. "I am going to make the X-men into a supremacist isolationist cult of bad guys." Marvel "That is a Great idea". Is that what people imagining is happening?

I don't know what to say anymore nobody is telling people that vibes they are feeling is wrong. The story is suppose to create multiple feelings the only way someone is wrong on this is if they believe that the story is leading in only ONE way. Hickman is playing a bunch of people like a fiddle, Without "the questionable elements" this just a straight up boring superhero story . Hickman has manage to make a boring superhero story where the good guy X-men beats clear bad guy Orchis into something a little deeper because a bunch of you are now doubting if the X-men are really the good guys. Without the sleight of hand that is happening in set up this mostly pedestrian basic ass superhero stuff. But since the writer is playing Jedi mind tricks on some people we are have silly discussion if Kitty is more cruel now because of Krakoa or vaguish poorly structure Storm sentence makes her supremacist now. It is great work by Hickman and company that so much nothing is being used cause discussion and add layers to a story that is isn't very complex.

The truth of what is happening is in the middle, Hickman did this same game with New Avengers/Illuminati. The same exact game and it is working again.
    Hail Lord HiX-Man of the Krakoan Light and Being!!!?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Hickman walks into X-men office. "I am going to make the X-men into a supremacist isolationist cult of bad guys." Marvel "That is a Great idea". Is that what people imagining is happening?

I don't know what to say anymore nobody is telling people that vibes they are feeling is wrong. The story is suppose to create multiple feelings the only way someone is wrong on this is if they believe that the story is leading in only ONE way. Hickman is playing a bunch of people like a fiddle, Without "the questionable elements" this just a straight up boring superhero story . Hickman has manage to make a boring superhero story where the good guy X-men beats clear bad guy Orchis into something a little deeper because a bunch of you are now doubting if the X-men are really the good guys. Without the sleight of hand that is happening in set up this mostly pedestrian basic ass superhero stuff. But since the writer is playing Jedi mind tricks on some people we are have silly discussion if Kitty is more cruel now because of Krakoa or vaguish poorly structure Storm sentence makes her supremacist now. It is great work by Hickman and company that so much nothing is being used cause discussion and add layers to a story that is isn't very complex.

The truth of what is happening is in the middle, Hickman did this same game with New Avengers/Illuminati. The same exact game and it is working again.
    Multiple feelings, maybe… not hazardous feelings.
    For me, this "At this point, we can't be sure what Hickman is trying to say" is bad story-telling. Sure, some elements must be left hidden for the sake of the plot. But an author must have a control over his/her readers' reactions/feelings. The 'it's cultish' vs 'I don't see any cult'… it's a lack of mastery, it should be obvious. Otherwise, it's not comics, it's market, you get what you want.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Multiple feelings, maybe… not hazardous feelings.
    For me, this "At this point, we can't be sure what Hickman is trying to say" is bad story-telling. Sure, some elements must be left hidden for the sake of the plot. But an author must have a control over his/her readers' reactions/feelings. The 'it's cultish' vs 'I don't see any cult'… it's a lack of mastery, it should be obvious. Otherwise, it's not comics, it's market, you get what you want.
    I'm not sure I quite understand what this means, sorry?

BANNED

Fascinating. Please explain to us in detail exactly who and what you are referring to.

As for Krakoa: yes, it has controversial, cultish or ominous elements. So what? It’s a provocative, invigorating and exciting new status quo for the X-Men for the first time in almost twenty years. It is responding to the sociocultural tides of the times we live in, which have changed over the last 50+ years. It’s taken the minority activist metaphor to a new height and yes, in some ways extreme. But I can’t argue that anything the X-Men have done here is wrong or unlike any other nation, or a too rash response to their threats. If you don’t get it, you might not always get modern activist movements. That’s your problem, it’s not mine. Also: this is fiction. I can enjoy my fantastical allegory for militant minority vengeance without wanting to join the Peoples Temple in real life, because I’m a fucking adult who can distinguish between funnybooks and real life.

So guess what: of course it has cultish elements, and I don’t care. I love the controversy, I love the questionable morality and I hope it reigns a long, long time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Fascinating. Please explain to us in detail exactly who and what you are referring to.

As for Krakoa: yes, it has controversial, cultish or ominous elements. So what? It’s a provocative, invigorating and exciting new status quo for the X-Men for the first time in almost twenty years. It is responding to the sociocultural tides of the times we live in, which have changed over the last 50+ years. It’s taken the minority activist metaphor to a new height and yes, in some ways extreme. But I can’t argue that anything the X-Men have done here is wrong or unlike any other nation, or a too rash response to their threats. If you don’t get it, you might not always get modern activist movements. That’s your problem, it’s not mine. Also: this is fiction. I can enjoy my fantastical allegory for militant minority vengeance without wanting to join the Peoples Temple in real life, because I’m a fucking adult who can distinguish between funnybooks and real life.

So guess what: of course it has cultish elements, and I don’t care. I love the controversy, I love the questionable morality and I hope it reigns a long, long time.
    I think it's good that you find it fascinating, but I have a lot of trouble actually have a hard time fully enjoying some of what I'm reading because of those unsettling vibes. I guess I'm looking for the sense of homeliness that the X-Men often gave in moments of down-time, which I can't see on Krakoa because of such unsettling feelings. It makes me worry too much for the characters even when they're supposedly safe, like they aren't in control of their situation which is a horrible, horrible feeling to have to revel in, trust me. While I understand and admire the mystery, I'm honestly just wishing they'd hurry up and find somewhere where they can just town-down some of the creepier elements for, like, five minutes. Even if it were better written (which, in my opinion, it wasn't) that would have added a lot to Scott's attempts at interacting with his children; because of all this uncertainty it's kind of difficult to really be able to 100% care about that, if that makes sense? Or, I think, I can't enjoy it because ya know, the feelings it gives off. Those kinds of moments really shouldn't be overshadowed in that respect, I think.
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 12-08-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: why was it censoring the word 're live'

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post

1. You putting words in mouth. Most of my post have been very short so there is little way of you knowing how I feel or think. So please keep your assumptions to a minimum. Thank you.

2. If your really interested in who I am referring to look for post in other threads were posters are activity stating either corralling and/or killing people they don't like or agree with. While other posters seem to either be in agreement or apathetic to the extremeness of the post.

3. It's great that you are an adult who wants nuance but these books/characters are being pushed more towards younger audiences so maybe your encouragement of your funny books promoting extremist themes on young people says more about you then your ability to distinguish things. But that's your problem not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I'm not sure I quite understand what this means, sorry?
    In movies, comics, there is a "dialogue" between the author and the reader/viewer. The reader expects some things to happen and the author either gives them or denies them. Hickcock was very good with that. But to do that, you must guide your reader and lead him/her to the places you prepare for him/her.
    The fact there is so much divergence between the readers means Hickman haven't completely succeed in doing what he wanted: either it's a cult or it is not. He must have decided previously… and set up things accordingly.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe