Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Fallen Angels #3 - Seppuku *spoilers*

Welp discussing this in the preview thread felt sad lol so here I am I guess. Here’s what went down (been a minute since I read the issue so ignore I miss anything let me know):

-That big robot thing calls itself Apoth and refers to itself as Psylocke’s child (don’t worry, he (?) made sure to let us know all will be explained)

-There’s a fight sequence, Cable gets yeeted, Psylocke tells Laura to let loose and she does

-There’s a kid there so they chill a bit, Psylocke reads his mind and Laura goes awol looking for Cable

-Cable gets snatched by a wraith-looking thing

-The kid dies but Psylocke knows where to find the others Apoth took. Laura wants to find Cable but Psylocke insists he can take care of himself, the kids can’t

-The thing that took Cable works for Apoth, says they want to end all things man, mutant and machine. Lucky Cable is all 3 and chained down .. not looking good for my man

-There’s some data pages about like making yourself a sword or sumn again. They’re excerpts from another text but I can’t remember what. They didn’t feel super crucial

I think that’s it. Weakest issue so far imo but not bad enough that I’ll drop it. I’m interested in what other people think because all the response I’ve seen so far seems pretty negative

Astonishing Member

The robot isnt apoth they work for him, so I'm calling it now apoth is either kiwanna child, or matsu'o.

oops my bad there. couldn’t tell if it was the robot’s internal monologue or omniscient voiceover lol. If Apoth isn’t one of those two I’ll be genuinely shocked

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Kwannon: We saved the Portuguese kid.

-after the Cable scene-

Kwannon: The kid's dead

Me:

maxresdefault.jpg
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

There's so much wrong with Laura's characterization here, and it goes beyond just trying to use her to prop up Kwannon.

For starters, in what world should she need someone to STOP her from killing a kid?*

*In which the trigger scent is not involved.

Good lord, why the heck was Laura going to kill an innocent child?

I think the writer has a fascination with female asian characters.

He studies it. And knows about some of the martial art priniciples. And I hear he's doing a great job writing Katana and Cassandra Cain for DCs Outsiders.

But a lot of Kwannons experience and wisdom doesnt feel deserved.

She's not dues ex mary sue. But she's like sensei wise female already.

He's elevating her very quickly but I don't see that she deserves it yet.

Cable and Laura don't need a mentor.

They've been doing this on their own for as long as Kwannon has been 'dead'.

She's put on a peddle stool at the expense of the other characters in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Laura was just slashing at the cockpit, she did not even know who was in there and had no reason to suspect a child. Whether or not she was actually going to kill the child or not is moot, Kwannon stopping her was just for dramatic effect, that is how this stuff works.

Anyway, I like the little crush Laura clearly has developed for Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Good lord, why the heck was Laura going to kill an innocent child?
    She can't control her anger, she is 15 again.

RCO003_1576073951.jpg

what is up with Laura body LOL

This is a weird book and not in a daring sort of way. Saying Kwannon doesn’t deserve her wisdom and respect here is an understatement. Like Excalibur, this would’ve been better served as a Kwannon solo as she earns her stripes (or they should’ve greenlit Thompson/Tamaki’s proposed solo pre-Hickman) and garners her own identity and pair of pants.

I was so happy to see Kwannon regain her own body and return to the living yet this is fading into apathy.

Yeah I don’t think Laura was gonna kill the kid she just didn’t notice him. soon as psylocke pointed it out she was like o **** yah lol
    Idk I kind of like their mentorship thing, it doesn’t bug me that we don’t know why Psylocke is so wise because we still have so much to learn about her. The flashbacks from the last issue solidify That for me

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Laura was just slashing at the cockpit, she did not even know who was in there and had no reason to suspect a child. Whether or not she was actually going to kill the child or not is moot, Kwannon stopping her was just for dramatic effect, that is how this stuff works.

Anyway, I like the little crush Laura clearly has developed for Nathan.
    it was very amateurish of her. She has hyper scent and should have been able to smell the kid.Besides he was very visible, in the panel after Kwannon stopped her. Its not like he was hidden and they had to dig to see him. She was acting quite wrecklessly which is uncharacteristic of her

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Yeah I don’t think Laura was gonna kill the kid she just didn’t notice him. soon as psylocke pointed it out she was like o **** yah lol
    Idk I kind of like their mentorship thing, it doesn’t bug me that we don’t know why Psylocke is so wise because we still have so much to learn about her. The flashbacks from the last issue solidify That for me
    The problem is that she didnt notice.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    the major problem isn't kwannon so wise, it is why Laura is so rookie

it was very amateurish of her. She has hyper scent and should have been able to smell the kid. Even if she hadnt, she was acting quite wrecklessly which is uncharacteristic of her

The problem is that she didnt notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    the major problem isn't kwannon so wise, it is why Laura is so rookie
    fair. I’d say she seems more like a rookie in this situation because she’s just discovering that there’s place for her violence and anger alongside her “normal” façade, but I haven’t really followed the character and don’t know what kind of growth she’s had so that could be why I don’t necessarily have a problem with her actions here

Extraordinary Member

it was very amateurish of her. She has hyper scent and should have been able to smell the kid. Even if she hadnt, she was acting quite wrecklessly which is uncharacteristic of her
    Yes, she was not holding back her 'anger', she got a scent of sweat, went after it. It is reasonable, story-wise, and 'feats' only matter to the writer who used them as a crutch.