Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #18 preview/discussion (spoiler) thread

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

* Wow, so that thanagrian general is history's first United Planets President/chairmen. Makes sense give he was the big vote that got most people to join, so he's gotta carry a lot of weight. It'll be interesting to see how his role plays out here forward.

* I love Clark casually holding a conversation with Adam and also paying attention to the proceeding enough to vote on matters. Always get a kick out of that sort of stuff with Superman.

* It'll be interesting to find out how many heroes didn't actually know he was Clark Kent

* Seems like given all that's happened, Jon's been questioning the secret identity too. Nice bit of meta commentary having the question come from a young person. Guess this all but confirms Jon likely not taking on an alternate secret identity come 5G like some theorized.

* Adam Strange being Superman's space bud is kind of interesting given his new maxi coming out by King. Wonder if there's any shot of seeing Clark make a few guest spots over in Strange Adventures to match? I'd absolutely love to see Gerads draw some Superman here and there.

BANNED

Ah the Bendis speak returns! It would be funny if he reveals his identity and goes to space prison due to some reactionary alien race which believes that the sins of the father should be borne by the son. That's what happened to Matt.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll be honest, Superlad, given that he had Diana call him Clark recently when historically she prefers to call him Kal and his difficulty with some characters in the past, I imagine the results may be questionable. Some who should know won't, some who shouldn't will. I've made my peace with that given Bendis isn't great with continuity.

What matters is how the scene plays out. I'm excited to see some of them. Fraction's reveal of a character on the recent Word Balloon (and later callback with another character) is my jam and I hope more are like that.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll be honest, Superlad, given that he had Diana call him Clark recently when historically she prefers to call him Kal and his difficulty with some characters in the past, I imagine the results may be questionable. Some who should know won't, some who shouldn't will. I've made my peace with that given Bendis isn't great with continuity.

What matters is how the scene plays out. I'm excited to see some of them. Fraction's reveal of a character on the recent Word Balloon (and later callback with another character) is my jam and I hope more are like that.
    Maybe jor el being a jackass has something to do with clark being uncomfortable with kal el

Not much solidified continuity beyond what we've seen to speak of though. Can't really 'historically' say who has or hasn't known till we see it.

I'm really interested in what Fraction said about Smallvillie and other stuff related to it.

I also recall Bendis joking about law suits against him. And I kind of super hope he's not joking because that sounds interesting haha
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-08-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks for the preview.

I wonder if Post-Crisis Adam knew Superman was Clark Kent. I have no idea what the current continuity is with Adam Strange since it seems like they go back-and-forth with it.

Feels kind of weird, at least to me, that Clark would suddenly just ask "why" now of all times. Same with Jon, but I guess he got a taste for being just a Superhero 24/7 with no downtime or life outside of it. He's probably forgotten about any civilian friends he once had.

Adam kind of has a secret identity of sorts in his own right. His gimmick is that he's a nobody scientist on Earth but a hero on Rann.
    He even had Bruce do it in public, which was even weirder.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels kind of weird, at least to me, that Clark would suddenly just ask "why" now of all times.
    The issue just before this (and the talk with Adam here) indicates that he's been through a lot of life changing stuff in a short amount of time, and it's making him do some reevaluation. Lois kind of sums it up by saying he just lost his dad to the past and his son to the future within hours of each other.

And the stuff he just uncovered about his dad, and all the lies that ultimately killed a planet now seem to weigh on his mind given the fact that they're attempting to create a similar group with the UP. This also ties into the idea of "what I thought I needed as a young man may not be what I need as an grown man".

I think it's all there. If you agree with it is its own thing obviously.

so what would happen to his job does he face any consequences for writing about himself? same for lois? I think spider-man when he revealed his identity had to pay Jonah back
    Last edited by Jman27; 12-08-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    so what would happen to his job does he face any consequences for writing about himself? same for lois? I think spider-man when he revealed his identity had to pay Jonah back
    Jonah never liked Spider-Man to begin with. He felt betrayed. Perry likes Superman though I can't imagine he'll okay with this regardless. Perry also has bosses he has to answer to. Jonah didn't. If the owner of the Planet says he has to fire Clark, and Lois, he has no choice in the matter.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Jonah never liked Spider-Man to begin with. He felt betrayed. Perry likes Superman though I can't imagine he'll okay with this regardless. Perry also has bosses he has to answer to. Jonah didn't. If the owner of the Planet says he has to fire Clark, and Lois, he has no choice in the matter.
    And given that the owner of the Daily Planet is the head of the Invisible Mafia... well I’m expecting it to cause problems lol. Also they’ve put out a teaser that showcases a destroyed Metropolis as a direct result of Superman’s reveal, so there is going to be some retaliation from the villains it looks like.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    And given that the owner of the Daily Planet is the head of the Invisible Mafia... well I’m expecting it to cause problems lol. Also they’ve put out a teaser that showcases a destroyed Metropolis as a direct result of Superman’s reveal, so there is going to be some retaliation from the villains it looks like.
    Just the cover, right? I don't know, Jon's return issue featured a cover framing him as a villain and he's been anything but.

Just the cover, right? I don't know, Jon's return issue featured a cover framing him as a villain and he's been anything but.
    Not sure if it was the cover, DC Nation tweeted it out I think.