Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Whose Upcoming Movies Are You More Excited For Marvel or DC?

This is NOT a bashing thread. Please be respectful of others opinions. Logical and well-articulated discussions are welcome.

Marvel:

With Endgame closing out the MCU Infinity Saga, it will be interesting to see how excited people are for the post Endgame slate of films. I think the days of the general audience seeing an MCU film just to stay up to date are over and Marvel may have to "rebuild" in a way as they will have to get people interested in unknown characters.

I think the Spiderman franchise will still do a billion plus for each new release as the character has always been popular without the MCU. So most people will see SP3, especially with SP2 ending the way it did.

Doctor Strange 2 will have the same popularity as the first film, I think, and many people will probably see it in theaters but not betting it to break one billion milestone.

I'm personally not that interested in seeing Shang Chi or the Eternals because I have never been that interested in the comic book content especially the Eternals. TBH I'm thinking one of the two will be a commercial disappointment. I will bet on the Eternals being a disappointment as I think Marvel may be betting on star power (Angelina Jolie, kit Harrington, etc) to garner interest in the film but I just think the content and storyline may not be enough for most individuals. IMO both films are hard sells but at least with Shang there's room to do something creative and innovative to get attention.

I will be seeing Black Widow but imo Marvel doing a prequel is wasting this character and will probably diminish the interest in the film for a lot of people as most will think it has no importance since the Infinity Saga is over. Even though I think that there will be subplot in the film that relates to the next saga.

DC:

I'm pretty excited for everything tbh.

Birds of Prey is a toss up on if it will be good or not. I think it will do commercially well as Harley Quinn is currently the favorite comic book bad girl. Hopefully they took some of the personality that she has in the animated series and apply it in live action.

WW1984 - Absolutely!

The Batman- I like the director Matt Reeves and the story supposedly being based off of the Long Halloween arc. Love Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman. I'm okay with Robert Patterson as Batman, considering he has improved as an actor since those twighlight days and now has a strong acting resume so I'll give it a chance.

Black Adam - About time! Black Adam as a character is really interesting and I think the Rock is a good pick but need to know more details.

Green Lantern Corps - Please be about John Stewart, Jessica Cruz, or Guy Gardner just not Hal Jordan he is the worst Lantern to me.

I probably forgot some movies that were announced but feel free to mention them and give your thoughts.

Overall I'm more excited for DC as I think there are more opportunities there as far as characters and storylines that can be adapted in new creative ways. The MCU currently doesn't have as many characters that are being adapted that I'm interested in and I think the interconnectedness may pose as a problem coming up as it may cause future films to be restricted on what can be done in terms of innovation.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Mighty Member

I'll watch both but I am not really excited for either. I am waiting for Marvel to find it's post end game legs before I get excited for The MCU again. And other than WW I really don't have strong feelings for anything on the DC side unless there is some Aquaman stuff on the horizon. I am not interesting in yet another Batman solo film, I don't know Black Adam well enough to care, Green Lantern has to prove it's worth caring about considering live actions historic problems with adapting cosmic level heroes, and I couldn't care less about Birds of Prey.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Since the Infinity Saga is over, I can now breathe and rest easy regarding the MCU.
    I was very invested in that saga and am happy it's over. Right now, I'm no longer as interested and will not be as invested, in the new MCU phases as I once was.

DC is finally turning their corner now and are starting to branch out with an actual plan: don't worry about interconnecting all the movies and just make good ones. So, I'm now more excited to see what DC/WB can bring to the table and hope they continue their latest trend of great movies without worrying about pure cohesion with others.

Overall, I'd lean toward the Marvel movies. The MCU is a pretty well-oiled machine, and I'm interested in where they're going to take it now that the Thanos saga is over and a few of the original big names have packed it in.

Speaking of, I feel like Black Widow's time for a solo movie should've happened a while ago. But it has an otherwise solid cast, and I'm down to see them position Florence Pugh as the new Widow...if that is indeed the plan.
    I'm curious enough about The Eternals. I don't really know or care about them from the comics, but I also didn't know or care about the Guardians of the Galaxy. Same with Shang-Chi. At this point, I don't really bet against Marvel's ability to make me care about characters I otherwise never paid attention to in the comics.
    The new Doctor Strange sounds interesting, as does Scarlet Witch's part in it. Of the next wave, this might be the one that has my most attention.
    And there are still sequels to expect for Black Panther and Captain Marvel on the horizon.

On the non-MCU Marvel front...personally, I am excited for Venom 2. He's one of my favorite characters, and as ridiculous as the movie was, I had fun watching it. So more Tom Hardy arguing with the voice in his head...ham-to-ham combat with Woody Harrelson's Carnage...Shriek...aw, get in. I don't know what the hell this movie will end up like, but I am down.

Not so much for Morbius. Morbius as a character is no Venom, and Jared Leto is no Tom Hardy.
    If Venom worked at all, it was thanks to Hardy's gonzo performance, and I can't imagine Leto being fun. I remember his lousy Joker.

Meanwhile, in DC, I am all for the new Wonder Woman. Can't wait.

But that's all I got really.
    I like the Birds of Prey characters, and it's a solid cast...but I can't stand Harley Quinn. Nothing against Margot Robbie, but Harley is an insufferable character to me. And despite the title, this is clearly a Harley Quinn movie.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm done with Batman. Zero interest in any more movies involving him.

So yeah...in terms of excitement, I've got Wonder Woman 84 and Venom 2. The MCU still has my interest. Beyond that, I got nothing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    I'll watch both but I am not really excited for either. I am waiting for Marvel to find it's post end game legs before I get excited for The MCU again. And other than WW I really don't have strong feelings for anything on the DC side unless there is some Aquaman stuff on the horizon. I am not interesting in yet another Batman solo film, I don't know Black Adam well enough to care, Green Lantern has to prove it's worth caring about considering live actions historic problems with adapting cosmic level heroes, and I couldn't care less about Birds of Prey.
    I think your view regarding the mcu is very close to the general audience member and have a feeling that the upcoming slate for them may underperform.

Black Adam will garner interest imo because of the Rock current status right now. Green Lantern should emphasize plot over CGI similar to how Shazam did and it could do fine, that's why I'm personally interested in a Jessica Cruz adaptation.

Although I have big love for the X-Men, I am going with DC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Since the Infinity Saga is over, I can now breathe and rest easy regarding the MCU.
    I was very invested in that saga and am happy it's over. Right now, I'm no longer as interested and will not be as invested, in the new MCU phases as I once was.

DC is finally turning their corner now and are starting to branch out with an actual plan: don't worry about interconnecting all the movies and just make good ones. So, I'm now more excited to see what DC/WB can bring to the table and hope they continue their latest trend of great movies without worrying about pure cohesion with others.
    I think the mcu will make decent movies but I think they did a big disservice to themselves by not rebooting or going the multiverse route. The last decade they made Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and a slew of other characters relevant however by not keeping them in the front of people's minds they may become forgettable. WB/DC may beat us to death with Batman and Superman but they keep them fresh in our minds and therefore keep them relevant.

I am excited for ALL comic book movies, and the more the merrier, I say. That doesn't mean I'll see them all at the theater, but I'll see them all eventually even if it's on Blu-Ray.

I have always been more of a DC Comics fan than Marvel, so I am always more interested in their movies and TV projects.

On the horizon, I think DC has a pretty strong slate coming up with Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, and The Batman. Plus, more Aquaman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Green Lantern Corps. I will see all DC movies in the theater.

I just hope they get someone who is interested in making a Superman movie and do a follow up with Henry Cavill. It doesn't have to be Zach Snyder's tone (and Warners probably wouldn't allow it to be), but I do want another Superman movie with Cavill.

As for Marvel, I am most interested in The Eternals, and I hope they go big, crazy, and colorful like Kirby -- but not jokey and silly like the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks.

I will likely not see Black Widow or Shang-Chi in theaters, but as I said, I will end up getting them on Blu-Ray. I think the same goes for sequels to Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.

Endgame really did feel like the end of an era, and I really don't want to start all over again at ground zero to begin another 20-movie storyline. Even though DC Films faltered when trying to copy Marvel's interconnected formula, I am of the opinion right now that I hope Marvel copies DC's current strategy of being a little less connected so that I can enjoy each movie on its own.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I think your view regarding the mcu is very close to the general audience member and have a feeling that the upcoming slate for them may underperform.

Black Adam will garner interest imo because of the Rock current status right now.
    Your use of words like underperform and interest is at odds with the stated purpose of this thread. I don't care what the $ sign is next to the movies box office nor do I care about general interest. When everyone was slamming Man of Steel to the point of my best friend not watching it I told him to watch it, and got it so we could watch it together because I liked it and wanted him to give it a chance. I've done the same with every DC film that came out so he saw them. I will watch them all, the ones I like I will like, the ones I don't I won't. Box office and general opinion doesn't factor into it. I thought this thread was how we feel about them not how we think they'll do or how many people will like them?

BANNED

The project I am curious for is Netflix's The Sandman series, which is DC but it's VERTIGO.

I'm also curious about the next Superman movie and what they are gonna do to salvage the brand.

Aside from that...

I am interested in the Sony's Spider-Man stuff, an ITSV sequel or their spinoffs.

As for the MCU, call me when Doctor Doom is cast and not before.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I am excited for ALL comic book movies, and the more the merrier, I say. That doesn't mean I'll see them all at the theater, but I'll see them all eventually even if it's on Blu-Ray.

I have always been more of a DC Comics fan than Marvel, so I am always more interested in their movies and TV projects.

On the horizon, I think DC has a pretty strong slate coming up with Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman, and The Batman. Plus, more Aquaman, Shazam, Black Adam, and Green Lantern Corps. I will see all DC movies in the theater.

I just hope they get someone who is interested in making a Superman movie and do a follow up with Henry Cavill. It doesn't have to be Zach Snyder's tone (and Warners probably wouldn't allow it to be), but I do want another Superman movie with Cavill.

As for Marvel, I am most interested in The Eternals, and I hope they go big, crazy, and colorful like Kirby -- but not jokey and silly like the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks.

I will likely not see Black Widow or Shang-Chi in theaters, but as I said, I will end up getting them on Blu-Ray. I think the same goes for sequels to Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.

Endgame really did feel like the end of an era, and I really don't want to start all over again at ground zero to begin another 20-movie storyline. Even though DC Films faltered when trying to copy Marvel's interconnected formula, I am of the opinion right now that I hope Marvel copies DC's current strategy of being a little less connected so that I can enjoy each movie on its own.
    I'm with you in hoping Marvel scales back a bit on the interconnectedness because I think by continuing it as is they may make it hard to attract good directors that may feel like they would be stifled from doing anything different and creative with the characters that don't fully align with the ultimate plan of a team up movie. Marvel/Disney are already getting a reputation for limiting what can happen to the characters in the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    #
    As for the MCU, call me when Doctor Doom is cast and not before.
    I know he has gone over to Star Trek, I do still want Noah Hawley to make a Dr Doom film. It probably won't happen. Mixing Noah Hawley's talent and Marvel would be like mixing oil and water.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I know he has gone over to Star Trek, I do still want Noah Hawley to make a Dr Doom film. It probably won't happen. Mixing Noah Hawley's talent and the Marvel would be like oil and water.
    To do Doom justice you need to give him his own solo movie. And you need to cast a big name actor for the role of Marvel's greatest villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To do Doom justice you need to give him his own solo movie. And you need to cast a big name actor for the role of Marvel's greatest villain.
    The Noah Hawley Dr Doom movie was going to be a solo film, Unlike Multiple Man that had cast James Franco, the Doom movie had not yet cast anyone. the only had a official writer and director.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The Noah Hawley Dr Doom movie was going to be a solo film, Unlike Multiple Man that had cast James Franco, the Doom movie had not yet cast anyone. the only had a official writer and director.
    Dr. Doom would be a good film and would help revive the fantastic 4 as they have had trouble garnering interest from the general audience.