Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Yeah the news was all "No, Marvel is not ruining movies. Stop trying to force your own ideas of what makes a movie good on everyone. There's room for lots of different things to be good. Even excellent."

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

The controversy would have been a good thing for marvel. Feige could have taken it as a challenge to prove them wrong but all that hope went away now that Disney is the first studio to make over 10 billion at the box office. Disney does not care what two people think when they can make trillions of cash with many marvel IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Coppola and Scorsese are absolute legends but in this context, they’re just old men raging against the dying light of what “they feel” cinema was in their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I seriously doubt much of anyone really cared what they said. I mean, it seemed like there was more chatter about how they were wrong then anything else.
    Few guys here are quick to insist the controversy did not matter. It did matter. It slowed marvel down. it was an eye opener of what Marvel superhero films have become. Bob Iger now wants to sit down to talk to Scorsese about the controversy. If it did not matter, why does Iger think or need to talk to Martin Scorsese. The Scorsese's controversy harmed Marvel films novelty. The proof is in the pudding with Iger now trying to befriend him.

Scorsese vs. Marvel: Disney CEO Bob Iger Arranging Meeting With The Irishman Director
    https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/12/...shman-director

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Why would you use something as out there as The Eternal's as any kind of indication of the MCU sustainability? Now if the third spiderman movie didn't generate any hype you'd have a point for people to be concerned about.
    Eternals is the gateway to the dawn of a new era. It needs to generate hype. DC still has their big 3 (Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman). There would be hype with those characters any day of the week. DC has the further advantage of knowing how to reboot in self contained universes to create more excitement for their films. Marvel cannot reboot anything.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 12-14-2019 at 05:32 AM.

I am not really excited for either to be honest. With marvel I will see Black Widow Spiderman and Doctor Strange but will wait for them to come out on Dvd. I could care less about about the other two mocies as I am not a fan of the comics. I think they will appeal to comic book fans but the casual fan will not flock to them the way they did Avengers or Ironman.

As for Dc I just didnt really care for any of their movies. I want to see Green lantern movie as I love him but that kinda it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post

Eternals is the gateway to the dawn of a new era. It needs to generate hype. DC still has their big 3 (Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman). There would be hype with those characters any day of the week. DC has the further advantage of knowing how to reboot in self contained universes to create more excitement for their films. Marvel cannot reboot anything.
    Unless they have big future plans for the eternals it's not a gateway for anything. Black Widow or Thor 4 sounds more like the ones that will be setting up the next era.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Eternals could possibly be MCU's first 'flop'. I don't think the MCU will ever reach the heights of the Avengers' box office success. It's a box office decline IMO but there still might be a billion dollar movie here and there but I think the GA is not as interested anymore after Endgame.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I should have added in my original post that I'm looking forward to The Eternals the most from the MCU moving forward. But again, I'm just a little exhausted and left most of my investments in the Infinity Saga.

What I find most interesting, and this is just my observation, is that I would assume more "MCU-first" fans would start to be interested in some of these upcoming DC films. Now that the first (and controversial) "phase" of DC films is over while there is clearly a cultural shift from their first movies, there'd be more interest… It doesn't really seem that there's any there from the majority of posters here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Eternals could possibly be MCU's first 'flop'. I don't think the MCU will ever reach the heights of the Avengers' box office success. It's a box office decline IMO but there still might be a billion dollar movie here and there but I think the GA is not as interested anymore after Endgame.
    This is why I used to find the Eternals so interesting, the Avengers story was done and Marvel universe would have to look at other corners, right from the gate the Eternals aren't suposed be superheroes or antiheros, it seemed so unusual from the topics they had been exploring to this point.... that didn't last.

Also I don't think most people are expeting to make that much money to be honest.

WW84’s trailer got me excited, and it’s the movie I’ve singled out as the one I’m most looking forward to, but overall I’m still more interested in seeing where Marvel takes things as a whole. I love the shared universe and while DC may have a few “standalone” films that I enjoy more than a singular MCU film, the whole scope of the MCU is a more interesting idea to me still.

Retired

I seriously doubt that on Canada Day in 2022, I will be sitting in a theatre watching a Flash movie. Even announcing it undermines my confidence in that DC slate. If they were smart they would be doing a Batman franchise movie every year--and by Batman I mean anything related to Batman, like Joker, Harley Quinn or even the Suicide Squad. That seems the wisest strategy for them, even though I would like to see other kinds of DC content. Having Billy Batson, Barry Allen and Arthur Curry all in the same year seems like too much of the same thing and I just don't see THE FLASH being a summer tentpole movie--not on its first time out. Now a Batgirl movie or a Gotham Sirens--those I could see being summer blockbusters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I seriously doubt that on Canada Day in 2022, I will be sitting in a theatre watching a Flash movie. Even announcing it undermines my confidence in that DC slate. If they were smart they would be doing a Batman franchise movie every year--and by Batman I mean anything related to Batman, like Joker, Harley Quinn or even the Suicide Squad. That seems the wisest strategy for them, even though I would like to see other kinds of DC content. Having Billy Batson, Barry Allen and Arthur Curry all in the same year seems like too much of the same thing and I just don't see THE FLASH being a summer tentpole movie--not on its first time out. Now a Batgirl movie or a Gotham Sirens--those I could see being summer blockbusters.
    I think with the CW show increasing The Flash popularity in recent years that the movie will do fine. It's main issue, if it has one, is that it will be compared to the tv series.

I personally would have preferred Wally West as opposed to Barry Allen as I find him to be the more entertaining of the two.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Eternals and Shang Chi are the only upcoming Marvel films I'm really interested in at the moment because of the chance we might see something different. Black Panther 2, Guardians 3 and Ant-Man 3 I hope are good.

The inclusion of Scarlet Witch in Doctor Strange dampened my interest in the sequel. I don't really care much of the Marvel Spider-Man movies although I think Holland does a good job.

Suicide Squad 2 and Black Adam could be interesting I suppose. I've got a wait and see approach to those films.

I don't like Ezra Miller's Flash.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 12-16-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

I will go see everything...except Flash. The character they wanted to sell us as Flash in the movies was a big turn off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I will go see everything...except Flash. The character they wanted to sell us as Flash in the movies was a big turn off for me.
    If they recast the role and give him a better suit I might be interested in a Flash movie.

Marvel, easily.

They have a proven track record of good to great films. WB/DC is waaaaay to hit or miss for me.