Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    [/B]

I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. When DC failed to directly compete with the MCU it forced them to be more creative and go in directions where Marvel hadn't. Sony had to find a way to utilize their IP in a different way that differentiated their product from Marvel/Disney. The other side of that is I think that Marvel is going to face fatigue with their content as is, which may force them to try and compete in the areas where DC and Sony are now carving out. I think we will look up and Marvel/Disney will be the underdog in those areas once they try to enter it.
    The problem is that Marvel CAN'T enter those territories. Marvel is now bought and paid for Disney and publicly synonymous with it so there's no way that Marvel can go beyond PG-13. So nothing like Joker 2019 or so on is gonna happen in the MCU. Disney will always resist attempts to go adult, it's part of their long-term brand philosophy that's not gonna change and is central to everything they do from toys to theme parks (which after all make more money than the movies do).

Nothing like the Netflix Marvel shows are gonna happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    And here I was thinking people cared what they said and the controversy chattered more rights than wrongs.
    Maybe "didn't care" was the wrong way to put it (although this forum is hardly representative of the average audience). What I was thinking was that I observed far more pushback and disagreement with those directors then agreement from people online. Heck, on the thread here about the comments, the conversation was dominated by debate on whether they guys were just jealous and stuff then anything about the actual arguments.

(Long story short, I don't think they changed anything and basically got roasted.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The problem is that Marvel CAN'T enter those territories. Marvel is now bought and paid for Disney and publicly synonymous with it so there's no way that Marvel can go beyond PG-13. So nothing like Joker 2019 or so on is gonna happen in the MCU. Disney will always resist attempts to go adult, it's part of their long-term brand philosophy that's not gonna change and is central to everything they do from toys to theme parks (which after all make more money than the movies do).

Nothing like the Netflix Marvel shows are gonna happen either.
    Part of me agrees with you but then another part is unsure because we don't know Disney's plans regarding Fox studios. If Disney chooses to utilize its fox acquisition for mature content that would be where Daredevil like shows and films would go without harming the Disney brand

And it sums up why although I like X-Men on paper. I have no excitement for their the next xmen films or most of the marvel films. Its just what it is. its not that Disney cannot go beyond pg 13, not everything has to be like Joker or Deadpool. Disney's pg 13 is not the same as what we can be used too of pg 13 films.

It is possible to make adult pg 13, I have more excitement for DC as I know DC would do just that with The Batman. Batman sells the most toys for DC, WB would still likely make most of the main Batman films pg 13, especially the ones that has Bruce Wayne as Batman but they would keep the tone and content of this films the same as the Nolan Trilogy or Batman TAS.

Nothing like the Netflix Marvel shows are gonna happen either
    Feige finally admitting the Netflix shows were not part of the MCU all along was long overdue. Now the MCU can move on with the Disney plus series. People can actually get excited that its the same actors and characters you are seeing in the movies that are on Disney plus unlike Agents of Shield. there is real excitement there for MCU fans after the disappointment of Agent of SHIELD that used to pretend it tied to the movies to get movie fans to watch when it didn't.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Some people may want to buckle up for the ride DC/WB is gonna take us on through 2022. We actually have an official slate for the first time since pre-Justice League! Looks like 2020-2022 will be perfect for people to get back on as it can’t be clearer that they’ve decided to really lean into their new policies. This is a very exciting slate!
    The biggest note here is they’re moving to three films a year ala MCU. Before, they were inconsistent between 1-2 films a year or every other year.

Birds of Prey - February 2020

Wonder Woman 1984 - June 2020

The Batman - June 25, 2021

The Suicide Squad - August 6, 2021

Black Adam - December 22, 2021

Shazam 2 - April 1, 2022

The Flash - July 1, 2022

Aquaman 2 - December 16, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Some people may want to buckle up for the ride DC/WB is gonna take us on through 2022. We actually have an official slate for the first time since pre-Justice League! Looks like 2020-2022 will be perfect for people to get back on as it can’t be clearer that they’ve decided to really lean into their new policies. This is a very exciting slate!
    The biggest note here is they’re moving to three films a year ala MCU. Before, they were inconsistent between 1-2 films a year or every other year.

Shazam 2 - April 1, 2022

The Flash - July 1, 2022

I agree that DC's upcoming slate has me more interested than Marvel's, and it does seem like now that Walter Hamada is in charge of things at DC Films that things are stable and moving forward. Momentum is building at DC.

Marvel hit the ground running with Iron Man so they just need to stay the course and not mess anything up. There's a lot of goodwill built up for Marvel, so even if future films aren't as successful as Avengers, I don't think they'll ever be seen as failures.

I'm very glad that the Shazam is really happening. I really liked the first movie, and its positioning on the schedule 3 months after Black Adam leads me to believe that BA will lead into S!2.

I liked Ezra Miller as Flash in Justice League. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but perhaps a movie to himself will allow his character to be fleshed out, and his take on Barry Allen will grow on people. Or maybe it'll just confirm what the naysayers thought. Who knows? I'm just glad the project seems to be moving forward.

Will JJ Abrams do a Superman movie? Well, it's not on the schedule, and there doesn't seem to be any room for it, so it probably couldn't appear before 2023. That's a long ways away, and by then Cavill might be too old or too unavailable to put on the cape again. Too bad. I loved Man of Steel and loved his take on Superman.

As for Marvel, the only thing I really hardcore-care about is The Eternals. I really hope they don't mess it up.

That reminds me, I don't see Ava DuVernay's New Gods on the schedule. Wonder if that'll really happen. Quite frankly, with Tom King set to write it, I hope it doesn't.

I want both Eternals and New Gods to be crazy-colorful-Kirby -- not goofy, forced humor like Marvel or damaged-psyches-on-parade like King.

BANNED

MCU because Blade and Doctor Strange 2. Those are what I'm most excited about, although I will probably end up seeing everything else too... But somehow it's just not the same without Avengers.

DC side of things, I'm looking forward to Aquaman 2. Wonder Woman 1984 trailer failed to make me excited.

BANNED

I do want a proper Doctor Doom introduced into the MCU as soon as possible. That would probably make me more excited about things.

Marvel but not by much.

It may be due to a general disappointed with DC, but I haven't liked any of their movies, got bored with Shazam and kind of annoyed with Aquaman. Recently caught Wonder Woman on cable and notice a bunch of details that I didn't like that I completely missed the first time around. So, no enthusiasm whatsoever.

With Marvel I was really excited about the Eternals until they casted Kit Harington, not only I don't care for his acting,but he film lost much of its attraction when it became so contemporary with its character. Saying that I still want to do well, so some enthusiasm.

Marvel I guess.

Truth be told I'm not really excited by anything coming down the pike except the next Guardians and Thor movies and those are a long ways off.

In order of excitement:

Black Adam

Shazam 2

Wonder Woman 2

Doctor Strange 2

Shang Chi

Thor 4

Then a massive gap and everything else. Not really excited about any of the other Marvel films that have been announced. We’ve seen just about every possible iteration of Batman at this point and I have zero interest in an Ezra Miller Flash movie, as he was easily the worst part of Justice League.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I liked Ezra Miller as Flash in Justice League. I know he wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but perhaps a movie to himself will allow his character to be fleshed out, and his take on Barry Allen will grow on people. Or maybe it'll just confirm what the naysayers thought. Who knows?
    I'm sure it will do both.

I'm more excited about the Marvel tv shows more than anything else, but that makes sense since those are all characters that we know. I'm sure once Marvel starts hitting us with trailers and shows us what they have in mind with the various films, I'll be more excited. With the DC movies, I kinda feel like I know what those will be (except Batman) and unless proven wrong, they fall into the "I'll see it when it comes out on cable" level of interest for me right now.

BANNED

[B]I will be seeing Black Widow but imo Marvel doing a prequel is wasting this character and will probably diminish the interest in the film for a lot of people as most will think it has no importance since the Infinity Saga is over. Even though I think that there will be subplot in the film that relates to the next saga.
    I think it's clear by now that Marvel doesn't do anything without a keen eye toward how it impacts the future. The idea that this will be a prequel and barely relevant to the future films seems far-fetched to me.

Since the Infinity Saga is over, I can now breathe and rest easy regarding the MCU.
    I was very invested in that saga and am happy it's over. Right now, I'm no longer as interested and will not be as invested, in the new MCU phases as I once was.
    I feel the same way. Looking forward to Doctor Strange 2. Not much else on the MCU horizon. As more details come out that could change. I'm holding out hope for the Eternals, but we'll have to see how that integrates with the established universe.

I think the mcu will make decent movies but I think they did a big disservice to themselves by not rebooting or going the multiverse route.
    I think they have absolutely saved themselves by not convoluting their brand with multiple versions of the same character.

To do Doom justice you need to give him his own solo movie. And you need to cast a big name actor for the role of Marvel's greatest villain.
    To do Doom justice, you need to introduce him in several movies, establish he's a threat to everyone, and culminate it all with a two-movie event involving both him and Galactus.

The new Spiderman is decent not better than Raimi's but not bad.
    The current character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker is better than Raimi's, but Raimi's stories were much more compelling. I really don't care much if I see the next Spider-Man movie or not.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I seriously doubt much of anyone really cared what they said. I mean, it seemed like there was more chatter about how they were wrong then anything else.
    Yeah the news was all "No, Marvel is not ruining movies. Stop trying to force your own ideas of what makes a movie good on everyone. There's room for lots of different things to be good. Even excellent."

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    After Endgame I'm not that at all excited about the MCU. Looking forward to Dr. Strange and Thor but very 'meh' on the other IP's. I think the Eternals will be the biggest flop for the MCU after Norton's Hulk.

I hope DC brings back Cavill for Superman.
    I'm all for Strange 2, though the title gives me misgivings. The last think I want is an established multiverse. Leave that to TV Flash. The one universe is interesting enough and has quite enough stories to tell. The Witcher is a perfect role ffor Cavill to play and I think he should run with it. Largely emotionless and flat. Let's not bring those characteristics back to Superman, thank you very much. I don't care how much the actor physically may look like Superman.

I think the main thing is that the MCU have maybe lost their novelty.

Whereas like-it or hate-it, the non-MCU movies have novelty now. DC is in the business of not competing with the MCU but throwing stuff at the all and seeing what takes, so that leads to Joker 2019. Sony Animation did ITSV. People want more of that.
    I think Marvel is more than happy to let DC have the novelty market. I can't see them trying to compete for that space, but it could happen.

The problem is that Marvel CAN'T enter those territories.
    Sure they can. There's just not much incentive for them to try that.

Shazam 2 - April 1, 2022

The Flash - July 1, 2022

Batman always has potential, but unless they do him with more Denny O'Neill than Frank Miller it's probably not going to get much of my attention. Nothing else on this slate interests me much, given the ones that are sequels I wasn't much impressed with their first installment, and the ones that are new are either characters I can't get excited about (Black Adam - been there with Man of Steel thank you) or like Flash, where the actor is pushing to take the character in a direction far different from what made him endearing in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

More excited for Black Panther 2 but 2022 seems a long way off. After that Black Adam but it seems like they are going to try to cram too much into one movie. Hearing Hawkman and JLA are gonna be featured... surprised shazam is getting a sequel.

Niffleheim

The only DC movie I was looking forward to was The Batman but that died after the casting (maybe I'll change my mind when I see the trailer)

With Marvel I guess it's more Eternals and the MCU supporting characters and new IPs getting their own limited series on Disney+

I was bored with Doctor Strange movie so I don't think I'll repeat that experience and teaming up with another lacklustre character is not going to change my feelings about Multiverse of Madness. I'm completely uninterested in Black Panther II, Shang-chi and Thor 4 (I might change my mind if the trailer wows me)