Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I could be paranoid, overreacting if I must admit. Has anybody noticed MCU has been on silent mode this few weeks? I am speculating we are now in the aftermath of The Martin Scorsese and Francis Coppola controversy. Its like nobody wants to bring up Marvel films anymore for fear they are not appreciating what they think is the right cinema.

Enternals had a big weekend last week, it failed to make any splash. I have this gut feeling that the beginning of the end for the MCU is on the Horizon. DC would always be around in one form or the other, it could be the DC Cinematic universe that I don't give 2 cents about. self contained films like Joker or another Batman reboot. MCU is quietly going to phase out. they are not as unpredictable like DC and there is too much resentment for the MCU. Their movies would still make money but they would have no major parts to play in any film conversation anymore.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 12-11-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    I could be paranoid, overreacting if I must admit. Has anybody noticed MCU has been on silent mode this few weeks? I am speculating we are now in the aftermath of The Martin Scorsese and Francis Coppola controversy. Its like nobody wants to bring up Marvel films anymore for fear they are not appreciating what they think is the right cinema.

Enternals had a big weekend last week, it failed to make any splash. I have this gut feeling that the beginning of the end for the MCU is on the Horizon. DC would always be around in one form or the other, it could be the DC Cinematic universe that I don't give 2 cents about. self contained films like Joker or another Batman reboot. MCU is quietly going to phase out. they are not as unpredictable like DC and there is too much resentment for the MCU. Their movies would still make money but they would have no major parts to play in any film conversation anymore.
    Wait, what? The Eternals isn't out yet is it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wait, what? The Eternals isn't out yet is it?
    No. This past weekend was the Brazil Comic Con CCXP 2019. Feige was there and presented some early footage from Eternals.

https://www.cbr.com/marvels-eternals...eased-at-ccxp/

Mighty Member

Why would you use something as out there as The Eternal's as any kind of indication of the MCU sustainability? Now if the third spiderman movie didn't generate any hype you'd have a point for people to be concerned about.

2010: “The end of the MCU is in the horizon”.

2015: “The end of the MCU is in the horizon”.

2019: “The end of the MCU is in the horizon”.

Yes, my child; you will be correct one day.

I’m willing to bet my death “is on the horizon”, too.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 12-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

I seriously doubt much of anyone really cared what they said. I mean, it seemed like there was more chatter about how they were wrong then anything else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    No. This past weekend was the Brazil Comic Con CCXP 2019. Feige was there and presented some early footage from Eternals.

And said footage wasn’t even released.

When the movie’s full trailer comes out, I expect it to dominate the entertainment news cycle. I mean, Marvel and Eternals aside, the movie has an a-list cast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I seriously doubt much of anyone really cared what they said. I mean, it seemed like there was more chatter about how they were wrong then anything else.

Exactly.

Coppola and Scorsese are absolute legends but in this context, they’re just old men raging against the dying light of what “they feel” cinema was in their day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm looking forward to WW84 and Batman and future DC movies...

But Thor 4, Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Blade... and that's not even including the Fantastic Four and X-Men which are back with Marvel Studios.
    Marvel rather easily for me
    Gosh, so many superhero films, I would try and go through each one of them.

The Batman has to turn out the most top notch of all these films. at least on paper, unless something goes wrong. The film is going to be Noir and with Matt Reeves as the director. this is a close perfection.

Thor 4, Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange would perhaps be like the rest of the MCU films. peacefully still following the formula.

I dont know for Blade, but let Marvel try and make Deadpool 3 and a darm well serious X-Force movie first about a bunch of assassins, who necessarily dont follow the law but not just that, make them a very important part of xmen like they are in the comics. X-Men and the MCU for now is like oil and water. X-Men is not interesting because it is part of marvel comics, it is interesting because they have always felt secluded from the rest of marvel. bringing xmen in the mcu is not enough to make X-Men truly interesting if mcu cannot get the no apologies adult content or depth of their stories correctly.

Fantastic 4 would be exactly like The Incredibles. while I Don't think it is that bad of an idea, It will need to be a lot heavier than the Incredibles if MCU wants to bring in serious muscles with Galactus and Doom.

It's going to be hard for WW84 to top Wonder Woman 2016.

Lastly, no one seem to be mentioning JJ Abrmas is likely going to be making a Superman film. Now that could spark some excitement.

Astonishing Member

After Endgame I'm not that at all excited about the MCU. Looking forward to Dr. Strange and Thor but very 'meh' on the other IP's. I think the Eternals will be the biggest flop for the MCU after Norton's Hulk.

I hope DC brings back Cavill for Superman. Would love to see another JL movie but that doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while. Will be interesting to see DC heroes that have never appeared onscreen but hope WB starts pumping out more movies per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    After Endgame I'm not that at all excited about the MCU. Looking forward to Dr. Strange and Thor but very 'meh' on the other IP's. I think the Eternals will be the biggest flop for the MCU after Norton's Hulk.

I hope DC brings back Cavill for Superman. Would love to see another JL movie but that doesn't look like it's going to happen for a while. Will be interesting to see DC heroes that have never appeared onscreen but hope WB starts pumping out more movies per year.
    If and should JJ Abrams direct the next Superman, it would be up to him if he wants to use Cavill. The best thing about DC is they are owned by a company who does not limit anything. if you tell DC to jump. they will ask how High? I am more excited about DC because DC can push boundaries and all their movies can be different from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    And here I was thinking people cared what they said and the controversy chattered more rights than wrongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

Entertetiament Weekly ran some stories about it, doesn't spark my interest. MCU Needs to start marketing Angline Jolie and Jon Snow as the face of the film.

The controversy would have been a good thing for marvel. Feige could have taken it as a challenge to prove them wrong but all that hope went away now that Disney is the first studio to make over 10 billion at the box office. Disney does not care what two people think when they can make trillions of cash with many marvel IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    what about this:
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/ma...he-mcu-a172169

Saved by the bell. Feige's comments came just at the right time they chose to cancel marvel tv.

Incredible Member

I don't think that there will be a "death" of the upcoming MCU films. All that may happen is it's the end of billion dollar revenue films every few months.
    MCU films will still get made and bring in at least 500m. The biggest difference you may see is a dip in marketing and cgi used in the films as mcu films currently have insane production and marketing costs that will probably be reduced coming up. Additionally, we may see smaller team up films as the logistics for those have to be awful. The only thing I see possibly taking a huge hit is the amount of merchandise that is sold for the lesser known heroes such as Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc as I see their popularity going down if they aren't constantly in front of us. Spiderman and Hulk will be fine as they never needed the mcu to be popular.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-12-2019 at 05:01 AM.

BANNED

Has anybody noticed MCU has been on silent mode this few weeks?
    We got images on that Falcon/Bucky show and details on WandaVision and other stuff. So I don't think they've been quite very silent.

I am speculating we are now in the aftermath of The Martin Scorsese and Francis Coppola controversy. Its like nobody wants to bring up Marvel films anymore for fear they are not appreciating what they think is the right cinema.
    It does seem to have dampened the entire push for the Academy Award for Robert Downey Jr. (which RDJ didn't want anyway) and Oscar pushes for Endgame (which totally shut-out at the Golden Globes) and SAG. The defense offered for Endgame by the MCU is more or less, "It's not supposed to win oscars, it's supposed to entertain, and that's okay". They could have made a big aesthetic defense but they got played into a corner and found themselves fenced-in.

JOKER 2019 is the superhero movie that awards have focused their attention on.

I have this gut feeling that the beginning of the end for the MCU is on the Horizon.
    I doubt that. I think the main thing is that the MCU have maybe lost their novelty. When they made The Avengers, they pulled off this big feat of doing the first crossover movie. Then at the end credits, they had THANOS, insisting on an even bigger cosmic challenge. With Endgame they pulled that off. So what else is there to look forward to? If they do SECRET WARS it would be Infinity War/Endgame II in terms of being a big ambitious crossover. If they do Shang Chi it would be Asian Black Panther, they do Eternals it's like Thor Guardians or whatever.

Whereas like-it or hate-it, the non-MCU movies have novelty now. DC is in the business of not competing with the MCU but throwing stuff at the all and seeing what takes, so that leads to Joker 2019. Sony Animation did ITSV. People want more of that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    We got images on that Falcon/Bucky show and details on WandaVision and other stuff. So I don't think they've been quite very silent.

It does seem to have dampened the entire push for the Academy Award for Robert Downey Jr. (which RDJ didn't want anyway) and Oscar pushes for Endgame (which totally shut-out at the Golden Globes) and SAG. The defense offered for Endgame by the MCU is more or less, "It's not supposed to win oscars, it's supposed to entertain, and that's okay". They could have made a big aesthetic defense but they got played into a corner and found themselves fenced-in.

JOKER 2019 is the superhero movie that awards have focused their attention on.

I doubt that. I think the main thing is that the MCU have maybe lost their novelty. When they made The Avengers, they pulled off this big feat of doing the first crossover movie. Then at the end credits, they had THANOS, insisting on an even bigger cosmic challenge. With Endgame they pulled that off. So what else is there to look forward to? If they do SECRET WARS it would be Infinity War/Endgame II in terms of being a big ambitious crossover. If they do Shang Chi it would be Asian Black Panther, they do Eternals it's like Thor Guardians or whatever.

Whereas like-it or hate-it, the non-MCU movies have novelty now. DC is in the business of not competing with the MCU but throwing stuff at the all and seeing what takes, so that leads to Joker 2019. Sony Animation did ITSV. People want more of that.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. When DC failed to directly compete with the MCU it forced them to be more creative and go in directions where Marvel hadn't. Sony had to find a way to utilize their IP in a different way that differentiated their product from Marvel/Disney. The other side of that is I think that Marvel is going to face fatigue with their content as is, which may force them to try and compete in the areas where DC and Sony are now carving out. I think we will look up and Marvel/Disney will be the underdog in those areas once they try to enter it.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-12-2019 at 08:19 AM.