Default Marvel Spotlight #12 Son of Satan reprint.

I just read this and was wondering, who is this Satan that is Hellstroms father? Is this supposed to be Mephisto, or is this some biblical rendition of the Judeo -Christian tradition. The snake in the Adam and Eve apple story? Why would Marvel introduce this myth while they have Mephisto, or Dormammu?

I’ve heard of the Judeo-Christian Heaven before, where Jack Kirby is god in that. I’m just curious what the role of Judeo-Christian superstition has in the Marvel Universe? No disrespect to religious minded people.

iMan 42s

The Marvel pantheons look the way it does because it was being written as it went along. It's basically a universe where all religions are right based on the fact that as far as the MU is concerned; the Greek, Norse, Christian, etc religions are all real. Sure some are considered Aliens with advanced technology, but then you also have to consider that they are considered Gods still so it means nothing at the end of the day. We all come up with an explanation at the end of the day like why nobody is all that bothered about several Gods or mythological entities being public figures with mailing addresses like the world is in denial or that there is a magical blind-spot. However the reality is that if you try to course correct the universe to be more cohesive now it comes across poorly. Like I enjoy Heaven on Fire as much as the next guy but insinuating that Christianity is what you should actually be looking to than your own religion is problematic. And even still as it pertains to I.P you actually own, you don't want to shoot a franchise in the knee because later you have to sell that. Effectively Knull will get a massive push and can't be written off as easily as something like Alpha because you've now built up a mythos with an actual face. People become invested be it that God is an actual figure people really do worship or that readers are invested in the character. Either way they're spending twenty dollars on a toy.

Then you gotta consider that creative teams come from a wide range of backgrounds, editorial isn't that strict about the origins and nature of the universe, and mythological figures are public domain. You can put out a Hercules product right now without question. New I.P's like Dormammu would be encouraged since Marvel can hold onto the character and sell god knows what seeing as its a product they actually own and so wouldn't necessarily have to compete. So it's also encouraged to sell their version of say Hercules or their own I.P like Knull or Dormammu.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.