Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Not really understanding the backlash...

to WB putting their 2021 on their streaming service. Yes, I love going to the theater to see a movie and I think we will see and have that experience again. The only reason this is being done is COVID-19. And WW 1984 is only going to be on the streaming service for a month. I think these directors like Christopher Nolan, Denis Viellneuve, Martin Scorsese are making much ado about nothing. I guess they're worried about not getting the box office back end because without that, they won't be able to pay their child support and alimony payments from previous marriages.

Astonishing Member

To me, the alternative is to hold everything until 2022 and then we'll have even more theaters going out of business.

It is all about the money.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

The issues is they didn't even talk to any of these actors/Directors or production partners first. Legendary is already suing them apparently. WW84 they did right. They talked to Jenkins and Godot. Payed them the backend at the assumption the movie would make 1bil in theaters. They handled it right and there was no issue. Yes the Nolans and Denis Viellneuve would have been upset no matter what. But if they would have talked to everyone first, I don't think there would have be an issue. It's the way they handled it. I think they made the right choice but they handled it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The issues is they didn't even talk to any of these actors/Directors or production partners first. Legendary is already suing them apparently. WW84 they did right. They talked to Jenkins and Godot. Payed them the backend at the assumption the movie would make 1bil in theaters. They handled it right and there was no issue. Yes the Nolans and Denis Viellneuve would have been upset no matter what. But if they would have talked to everyone first, I don't think there would have be an issue. It's the way they handled it. I think they made the right choice but they handled it bad.
    Seems that way to me.

If they had worked out deals for just 2021 with the talent involved in those releases?

I don't think that the have any issues.

As it stands?

Friction for no good reason.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    to WB putting their 2021 on their streaming service. Yes, I love going to the theater to see a movie and I think we will see and have that experience again. The only reason this is being done is COVID-19. And WW 1984 is only going to be on the streaming service for a month. I think these directors like Christopher Nolan, Denis Viellneuve, Martin Scorsese are making much ado about nothing. I guess they're worried about not getting the box office back end because without that, they won't be able to pay their child support and alimony payments from previous marriages.
    Not getting your expected paycheck for a months long project is very, very valid reason to be upset. Except you’re suggesting that these guys are suddenly working for free, WB is going to have to find a way compensate them.

Not to mention they took on these projects with the agreement of them being played in theatres. Changing it up will always cause problems.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-12-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Here's a take on the subject.

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Okay here is why they are mad obviously the art of movie on big screen but real reason they are mad is this lets pretend you really like a movie this what they are losing

1. Movie in theater: You watch it twice in theaters that is 18 dollars
    2. 3 months later the Movie in come to PPV Vods: You watch it once 48 hour Vod is 20 dollars
    3. 2 months later It shows up on HBO,Showtime,Stars,etc. You have pay for those things right now as an example HBO Max 14.99

Before a movie hits DvD or you can own the VoD. The movie can make at least 52 dollars from one person. Beyond losing money in general they are performance bonus attach to how certain movies perform at the Theater and actor and studios make can make bank from that. This is not about defending the artistry of movie making this about defending an industry built to milk money from its consumers by selling the SAME product multiple times. Why are they are so upset because in streaming world

1. PPV VOD- Disney is setting the market at 30 dollars
    2. Streaming- 6.99 to 14.99

We all know a large majority of people can't wrap their minds around paying 30 dollars (even though a trip to movie theater actually cost more) so instead of 52 dollars the industry is getting maybe 8.99. And new streaming services has to be killing dvd/vod sales because why I am going to buy Avengers when I have them all on Disney +.

While I don't blame them for getting up in arms about this the drop off in money is drastic until they build up streaming base. These people have never cared about the actual real experience of watching a movie which is why it has taken forever for stuff like reserving seats, larger more comfortable chairs,better food to become industry standard. Me personally I am like let the theaters die because they aren't presenting a product that beats home viewing. My opinion stuff like Avatar and Gravity is what should be keeping Theaters open,Standard definition shouldn't exist in theaters only Imax and 3D movies, the experiences most of us can't match at home. If a movie dropped the same times as does at home,The visual experience of watching it in theaters should be reason to see the movie in theater. If the only reason you go to movie theater is because that only place you can see that movie for next couple months then movie theaters are failing.

PS-What about the small movies that aren't visual dependent, Well they should show in smaller more personal theaters where the focus is experience of being in theater itself as the movie.The same movie theaters that show old classic movies would show those type of movies.Smaller crowd ,better seats, way better food.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-13-2020 at 12:22 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They're resisting change because they're worried about their status. Especially change that everyday people have chosen.

Megaplexes are garbage dumps, not the golden palaces that these dudes are making them out to be.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-13-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Ok. Where do we start?

WBs move will hurt theatre chains next year.

They didn't tell anyone other then the wonder woman group! They found out in the news!

By putting it on max the same day for free you are sabotaging the big screen box office. Many star have a deal to take a paycut and in return they will get a part of the box office and wb pulls this stunt! It's confirmed everyone from will smith to other big stars are ticked!

It stabs all the actors, writers and directors in the back who spend two years or more making what they thought was a big screen film only to find out it's a big budget tv movie! Dune director says this will kill the dune ip and there will be no sequel.

It breaks contracts put in place. Directors and actors guilds have both sent nasty letters to wb warning them not to do this and wb may be banned from the actors, directors and writers guilds if the do! All 16 directors of the movies they plan to put on max next year have got together and had a meeting about wb!

Legendery pictures payed for 60% of dune and godzilla and wb pulls this stunt without even telling them! They are threating to sue wb if they put both movies on max!

Also all you guys wanting movies to die you know you will kiss big budget movies goodbye right? All the heads of the movie chains have said streaming can't support big budget movies. You would only get tv movies with maybe one big budget movie a year from that point on if movie theatres die!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-13-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Incredible Member

The best way I can describe what has happened is this:

WB introduced a new distribution strategy without the proper legal, financial, and business infrastructures being in place to support it.

That's a high level summary to describe what's going on. It's very complex to go into each area that this decision has affected because there are so many and they are affected differently in the short term and long term.

I can see there's a lot of grousing from all of the people financially affected.

It's to be expected, but really what can WB/ATT do? They have a lot of product in inventory now, and they have to make SOME money off it while there is still a freshness to it.

As far as not telling anyone in advance except certain key people, well, given that there's hundreds of people affected, you really CAN'T tell everyone individually and expect them to keep it secret until the company is ready to make an official announcement. You have to just rip the band-aid off quickly and let everyone react to it as they will.

Now, WB/ATT can address all the grousing in priority: lawsuits first, then the theater distribution chain, then disgruntled talent later.

This is an unprecedented time in our history, so EVERYONE, including WB/ATT will be losing money. Actors cannot expect to be paid on their backend deals when there IS no backend. Everyone's gotta take the hit on this one.

Studios have to have a plan in place because who says these viruses are over? Even if we get a vaccine for COVID-19, what about the next one? We've already had SARS (might as well call it COVID-02) and MERS (call it COVID-12) coronaviruses (still no vaccines). Who says there won't be a COVID-21 or -22 around the bend?

Yes, it might mean fewer tentpoles in the future, but this might be the new normal. We just don't know. Studios, actors, and theater owners will all have to get used to it, or at least prepare for it.

I can understand both sides of this issue. Personally, as an avid film-goer, the constant further delaying of pretty much all the films I'm excited to see has been a drag, so I'm not going to complain about getting to see at least some of them soon via HBO Max.

My question is, is there going to be an additional price to viewing these films on HBO? I know Disney charged $30 for Mulan, which is ridiculous to me (my local Cinemark theater only costs me roughly $10 for a film ticket and I never bother purchasing concessions).
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Japan box office is breaking records right now in a virus! They have a movie that just beat titanic and all imax records in japan and is on the verge of making highest grossing movie of all time in japan! They are going to the movies over and over again to see it! Box office is so well they are adding movies that were delayed back up again!

Drive ins have been sold out for half a year! People still want to go to the movies! After stuck at home for a year you don't think people are going to want to get out of the house?

Movies are a family night out or parents getting a night away from the kids or going on a date.

It's also going to big films like endgame and having reactions with everyone there! You can't get that on your chair at home.

Japan shows people will go to the movies again when this is over but if the studios do dumb things like wb did and stab everyone who worked for them in the back it's not going to help next year!

Big movies like ghostbusters afterlife, venom 2 and disney animated films will help bring them back when things are all over next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Japan box office is breaking records right now in a virus! They have a movie that just beat titanic and all imax records in japan and is on the verge of making highest grossing movie of all time in japan! They are going to the movies over and over again to see it! Box office is so well they are adding movies that were delayed back up again!

Drive ins have been sold out for half a year! People still want to go to the movies! After stuck at home for a year you don't think people are going to want to get out of the house?

Movies are a family night out or parents getting a night away from the kids or going on a date.

It's also going to big films like endgame and having reactions with everyone there! You can't get that on your chair at home.

Japan shows people will go to the movies again when this is over but if the studios do dumb things like wb did and stab everyone who worked for them in the back it's not going to help next year!

Big movies like ghostbusters afterlife, venom 2 and disney animated films will help bring them back when things are all over next year!
    Yeah IMO saying theaters will die off from this is like saying Stadiums and Arenas attendance will die off permanently because no one will ever want to go see sporting events and concerts in person again.