Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Same ballbark, just with a movie's budget. CGI for spots, nose, and tail.

I trust, well, HOPE, Patty Jenkins will do something like this, and not something that will make our uncanny valley sense tingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the reaction to cheetah could increase toxic angry-fandom against the film, similar to Sonic the Hedgehog. hmm.. I hope these 'fans' don't derail the box office by the time the film comes.
    From what I've seen, they rarely do; they just claim credit and validation if a target of their hate fails due to other reasons.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Certainly looks a lot better than the Captain Marvel trailers.

I hardly remember much about the captain marvel trailer, I slightly remember it being dull. this doesn't look dull, WW84 doesn't have some of the aquamarine look of the first film, perhaps its the 80s vibe.

Apparently not much CGI was used in the movie. A lot is practical effects. Though the lightning swing was most likely CGI.
    my mistake, I should have said VFX not CGI. I do prefer mostly practical effects in big budgets films. don't be worried , many trailers don't usually have the final polish of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the reaction to cheetah could increase toxic angry-fandom against the film, similar to Sonic the Hedgehog. hmm.. I hope these 'fans' don't derail the box office by the time the film comes.
    The first Wonder Woman received quite a bit of misogynistic backlash in places, but enthusiasm and reception for the movie was easily enough to drown it out. (Unlike the 2016 Ghostbusters, which didn't manage to get enough enthusiasm going to drown out the dudebros.)

I'm much more concerned about the film being really good, and improving on the first one.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The first Wonder Woman received quite a bit of misogynistic backlash in places, but enthusiasm and reception for the movie was easily enough to drown it out. (Unlike the 2016 Ghostbusters, which didn't manage to get enough enthusiasm going to drown out the dudebros.)

I'm much more concerned about the film being really good, and improving on the first one.
    If you check out the YouTube channels like Geeks and Gamers, YoungRippa, and Odin's Blog that hate on Ghostbusters 2016, Captain Marvel and Brie Larson, and the new Charlie's Angels they all regard Gal Gadot as a hero.
    The anti-Brie Larson. To them Wonder Woman is how a female action hero should be depicted and Gal Gadot is how an actor should portray themselves in public. So misogynists shouldn't be a problem this time around.

More of the backlash for Wonder Woman is that Gal Gadot had served in the Israeli army and is a strong supporter of Israel. That automatically excluded the movie from several Muslim countries and supporters of Palestine
    in the USA were also quite vocal. I don't see any of that changing.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

If you check out the YouTube channels like Geeks and Gamers, YoungRippa, and Odin's Blog that hate on Ghostbusters 2016, Captain Marvel and Brie Larson, and the new Charlie's Angels they all regard Gal Gadot as a hero.
    The anti-Brie Larson. To them Wonder Woman is how a female action hero should be depicted and Gal Gadot is how an actor should portray themselves in public. So misogynists shouldn't be a problem this time around.

More of the backlash for Wonder Woman is that Gal Gadot had served in the Israeli army and is a strong supporter of Israel. That automatically excluded the movie from several Muslim countries and supporters of Palestine
    in the USA were also quite vocal. I don't see any of that changing.
    Captain Marvel 2 only comes out at 2023. Star wars will also go into hiatus after Rise of Skywalker. How are they gonna get views and pay their bills. They need a new target at least till 2021 when Ms Marvel will debut.

You could see both elements. Both the stuff you describe, but during the period of a few months after Wonder Woman premiered and before the premiere of Captain Marvel, I noticed more than a few Youtube commenters and similar who downplayed the success of Wonder Woman, or consistently held up its flaws.

Now, when it comes to Gal Gadot versus Brie Larson, you're very much right, but the Wonder Woman backlash (or disparagement, which might be a better word in this case) was not aimed at Gal Gadot as an actor but at Wonder Woman the movie.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Makes sense they would like WW and Gadot - the movie only played lip-service to equality, and Diana spent most of the movie like a half-naked, doe-eyed fawn, or excited puppy ("oh, a baby!"" Ooh, ice-cream!") with Steve leading her around and she ended up totally falling in love with the strong male character. (and so devoted that when she lost him, she locked herself up for a hundred years missing him) As for Gadot, nothing against her, but she knows how to publicize a movie - be beautiful and smile a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Same ballbark, just with a movie's budget. CGI for spots, nose, and tail.

I trust, well, HOPE, Patty Jenkins will do something like this, and not something that will make our uncanny valley sense tingle.
    There was a tweet confirming we're getting the Post-Crisis Cheetah look, albeit at the time she was apparently naked...
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Makes sense they would like WW and Gadot - the movie only played lip-service to equality, and Diana spent most of the movie like a half-naked, doe-eyed fawn, or excited puppy ("oh, a baby!"" Ooh, ice-cream!") with Steve leading her around and she ended up totally falling in love with the strong male character. (and so devoted that when she lost him, she locked herself up for a hundred years missing him) As for Gadot, nothing against her, but she knows how to publicize a movie - be beautiful and smile a lot.
    Some of this is sarcastic, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Captain Marvel 2 only comes out at 2023. Star wars will also go into hiatus after Rise of Skywalker. How are they gonna get views and pay their bills. They need a new target at least till 2021 when Ms Marvel will debut.
    My guess its that they'll rip on comics, new Star Trek (if they're part of a group that hate it), their critics, rehash stuff they've already complained about (they were ranting about TLJ for months after it was gone from the theaters), and stroke their own egos and those of other content creators who share their opinions. Historically, that's what groups like this have done during the dry spells.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Doe eyed, naive and overly excited Diana exploring the new world she's entered is straight from the comics, since the Perez era. Also "half naked" is hyperbole. Have you seen any costumes Wonder Woman wears?

The second statement isn't even remotely true, as we've seen in this very trailer. She's had a life outside of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Doe eyed, naive and overly excited Diana exploring the new world she's entered is straight from the comics, since the Perez era. Also "half naked" is hyperbole. Have you seen any costumes Wonder Woman wears?

The second statement isn't even remotely true, as we've seen in this very trailer. She's had a life outside of him.
    I was being hyperbolic, but it's also the criticism I've always had of the film and why certain aspects of how Diana was portrayed would appeal to the bitter incels who hated Capt Marvel compared to how they saw WW. And the new movie is a retcon. It's not how she was originally portrayed in BvS and the first WW movie - that she shut herself off from the world for a hundred years after losing Steve.

I was being hyperbolic, but it's also the criticism I've always had of the film and why certain aspects of how Diana was portrayed would appeal to the bitter incels who hated Capt Marvel compared to how they saw WW. And the new movie is a retcon. It's not how she was originally portrayed in BvS and the first WW movie - that she shut herself off from the world for a hundred years after losing Steve.
    I don't think the movie paid any lip-service to equality when Diana was working equally with male soldiers or even surpassing them with her power. It just didn't feel the need to bring attention to it.

The film was playing it safe by taking a feminist icon and placing her in WWI where the sexism she encountered was easy to challenge and of course outdated. Try having her challenge patriarchy in today's society and she'll be treated like Batwoman in no time. Having her reinforce traditional standards of femininity like fawning over babies and ice-cream helped make her less threatening to certain touchy manboys. I'm glad others were able to take away a lot of positive things about the movie, but some things I just found lacking and disappointing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Retconning BvS isn't a big deal because it was a poor creative choice anyway, and isn't the problem of Patty Jenkins because she isn't responsible for it. Snyder was and he's out. The first movie was still lining up with that portrayal I guess, but it was done in a vague way. Mainly because Jenkins and Gadot found it a poor creative choice that they disagreed with and were pretty vocal about it. So it being vague allows this movie to establish that even if she operated in secret, she never shut herself off from the world, certainly not due to Steve. And she's going to have a complicated dynamic with a female antagonist in this movie, which I do not believe we've seen much of in mainstream superhero films aside from Gamora and Nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the movie paid any lip-service to equality when Diana was working equally with male soldiers or even surpassing them with her power. It just didn't feel the need to bring attention to it.
    It also had a female hero trained exclusively by female mentors, including her mother and aunt, who were badasses themselves. That's not something we'd seen in a mainstream superhero movie before. Once the male soldiers saw what she was capable of they followed her without question, because they would have to be stupid not to. It treated all its characters with respect, including Etta Candy and the two POC members of Steve's crew. And it treated it as normal and not a big deal, because it should be a normal thing to do.

There are incels who hated both this and Captain Marvel for the wrong reasons. But I think Captain Marvel was just a bland film overall with a bland protagonist, so it deserves some criticisms IMO even if there are those attacking it for the wrong reasons. The best Captain Marvel movie we've had in 2019 starred Billy Batson anyway

The film was playing it safe by taking a feminist icon and placing her in WWI where the sexism she encountered was easy to challenge and of course outdated. Try having her challenge patriarchy in today's society and she'll be treated like Batwoman in no time. Having her reinforce traditional standards of femininity like fawning over babies and ice-cream helped make her less threatening to certain touchy manboys. I'm glad others were able to take away a lot of positive things about the movie, but some things I just found lacking and disappointing.
    She was placed in WW1 because she has a history of debuting in a World War and its the most sensible place to have a story where she battles Ares, one of her primary nemeses. I think she can be traditionally feminine in some respects because that's certainly not all she is. You're ignoring her martial training with the Amazons, defying Steve during the No Man's land scene and saving the day because it was the right thing to do, and defeating the God of War. Also, this is Wonder Woman, who was designed to be both very feminine/girly AND a powerful force to be reckoned with because female characteristics shouldn't be dismissed as being lesser. Her patron goddess is Aphrodite after all, the most feminine of the Greek Gods. It's like James Cameron complaining about this movie having a feminine hero and it wasn't as good as something that he, a man, could do, and Patty Jenkins offering a pretty awesome rebuttal.

In this new movie, she's a superhero on an adventure and saving the day while being powerful and badass going through story beats usually reserved for male characters and flipping the script. Just by doing that she's bucking trends.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 12-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.