Mighty Member

Default Video game URBAN LEGENDS?

I'm reading Ernest Cline's Armada at the moment. It features the urban myth of an arcade game recalled for causing hysteria in its players.

In the early 90's there was the Street fighter II myth about Ryu's quote : "you must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance" this gave rise to the myth that Sheng Long was a character you could face after defeating balrog, Vega, Sagat and M. Bison without losing any energy...

Do you know any other such legends?

That the lost ending to Metal Gear Solid V (Which wraps up the hanging Liquid/Psycho Mantis/Selanthropus thread) is somehow still buried in the game somewhere, or was going to be DLC.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Offhand, there's Reptile and Ermac in Mortal Kombats 1 and 2, resurrecting Aeris, the many nude codes in the mid 90s, and everything surrounding Polybius.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    I'm reading Ernest Cline's Armada at the moment. It features the urban myth of an arcade game recalled for causing hysteria in its players.

Polybius. Supposedly in the early 80's the government set up a few arcade machines around the country and monitored players on how well they did for some mysterious reason. Allegedly it caused seizures in a few kids.

Unlock sonic and tails in super smash bros melee by beating cruel melee.

There is a hidden chocolate factory level in super Mario bros.

A cheat code that made Lara Croft naked (supposedly in either the first or second game).
    Check out my new action comedy comic Supermom. Superhero Voltra is out to stop her archnemesis from taking over the world. There's just one problem: she's pregnant... and he's the father.

Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986r..._Pack.pdf/file

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I read somewhere that if you beat Polybius is under an hour, you unlock the ability to choose what color you character is. I haven't seen a Polybius cabinet since I was a kid though, wouldn't be able to test it.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Akuma being an unlockable character in the playstation version of Resident Evil 2.

There being a code to play hidden palace zone in Sonic 2. There is a way to do it but it's in a unplayable state. Mobile port of Sonic 2 restores the zone as an alternative level to mystic cave act 2.

Astonishing Member

The original Aeris, General Leo from FF6.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The original Aeris, General Leo from FF6.
    Good one on Leo. I'd completely forgotten about that one.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Don't forget you can unlock marty from his cage and play as him in Mario kart 64!

Also "L is real" in Mario 64! It has to be luigi right?

While I never kept close enough tabs on if it was squarely "Legend..." or not, it seems like the rumor was that a "Complete" version of Manhunt 2 made it into the wild during the stretch of time where the game was being reworked to try to get a "Mature" rating.

I remember on that turned out to be true was that a bunch of unsold Atari E.T. games were buried in the New Mexican desert.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

That Mass Effect 3 would have a good ending that satisfied players who put hours and hours into the world over 3 games.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    That Mass Effect 3 would have a good ending that satisfied players who put hours and hours into the world over 3 games.
    I liked the endings ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium