Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Babs and love

Batigirl really starts being her own hero, when she becomes the oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    as long as babs is batgirl she should be in Gotham. I think babs should a love interest that's a rookie cop that works with batgirl but doesn't know she his girlfriend.
    That's very Nick Gage-ish. I'd rather her boyfriend not work for her dad.

Batigirl really starts being her own hero, when she becomes the oracle.
    I'd actually say she usually was her own hero in the pre-Crisis days. At least to a much greater degree than her backstory in the post-COIE era. I like her being more independent, and prefer her running the BoP to working as Batfam's info/hacking service for this reason (though not only this reason).

In her future I see Old Barbara being with Sam Young (Batman Beyond) but I don't know when it should start.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    When did Dick cheat on Babs? I know he cheated on on Kory with her in that infamous annual. And speaking of cheating, wasn't Ollie cheating on Dinah originally written as him getting raped and it was retconned, which is really skeevy?

Anyway, Babs has the misfortune of being the only constant major female character on the heroes side, especially across all media, who is sexually interested in men. So obviously Kate is out lol. And that means she's the default potential love interest for whatever male member of the Bat-clan they feel like pairing her with that week. We've had her paired with Dick and Bruce, briefly flirted with the idea of pairing her with Jason in the New 52, and she married Tim in the Arkham games. If Damian ages up I expect she'll be given to him as well, however briefly.

Thanks to BTAS, Dick and Babs has been hardwired into me as the OTP (ditto Selina with Bruce). Aside from her unrequited crush on Bruce in the early BTAS, she and Dick still seemed a bit hung up on each other in TNBA and its tie in comics. So much so that the revelation she had an affair with Bruce in Beyond got a "what the ****?" reaction from me even when I was a kid. I think that was mostly Timm, I'm not sure how Dini and the other DCAU creators felt about the pairing. And I view them as each others' endgames in the comics as well. I wouldn't like her with any other Bat-Family member or really anyone else, save maybe Dinah.

That 2007 Retcon story of Dick cheating on Kory with Babs the night before his wedding with Kory is pathetic

Dick and Babs didn't have any interaction with Babs during the time that he and Kory were together in the comic issues in 1980s to 1990s
    Kory never met with Babs during that time like retcon showed Babs coming to visit Kory who is answered the door with Dick's jacket and just her panties.
    Kory wouldn't lie to Dick about Babs coming to see him

I hate that the Bat writers treated Dick/Kory's past like crap to prop up Dick/Babs
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I've been re-watching Batman Beyond and I have a new found appreciation for old Babs. She's much more independent and more of Bruce's equal here than she was in TNBA. I also like her relationship with Sam Young; not a Bat Family member and the writers/actors have good chemistry and give you the sense that these two have been together for years and are completely comfortable with one another. Plus you get the sense that Babs has lived a whole life and she has her own agenda and way of doing things that are independent of Bruce and Terry's. I also love the brief moment she was at the Bat computer guiding Terry in RotJ, gave me Oracle vibes.

Also:

Paxton: Kill Bruce Wayne?! Never! Bruce Wayne's my mentor. He's like a father to me!"

Babs: Except he doesn't glow in the dark.

Paxton: Hey! I resent that! Where's my lawyer?!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JEgzFSxppM

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    That 2007 Retcon story of Dick cheating on Kory with Babs the night before his wedding with Kory is pathetic

Dick and Babs didn't have any interaction with Babs during the time that he and Kory were together in the comic issues in 1980s to 1990s
    Kory never met with Babs during that time like retcon showed Babs coming to visit Kory who is answered the door with Dick's jacket and just her panties.
    Kory wouldn't lie to Dick about Babs coming to see him

I hate that the Bat writers treated Dick/Kory's past like crap to prop up Dick/Babs
    I hate that they treat Dick like he's a piece of crap. I cannot understand the people who think this a good Dick/Babs issue or romantic or anything - he's treating Barbara like crap, too!

They retconned the terrible Dick later-eras onto the good Dick of earlier eras. Back when he was in love with Kory and definitely about monogamy. In some circles this was the issue that should not be named. Or something like that. Anyway, it's dreadful and I erased it from my headcanon (of course, there are lots of things I erase from my headcanon - it doesn't resemble actual canon of today, but rather a mish-mash of eras).

Though Kory did treat Dick poorly when Mirage raped him, as I understand it (I just couldn't keep with Titans after the cast shift - it had gone down hill too much) - and she even knew what happened, right? I don't think that was ever treated like rape in the book, was it? Should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Grifter

Its straight out of nowhere, he's a bad boy and Jim Lee will ensure it has more traction then anyone else.
    I'm actually interested in this, especially if he's based off The Wild Storm's take on Grifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Those may be different people. I know nothing of the professor. My issue with creepiness with Bruce has nothing to do with age as it's roughly the same age gap as Barbara and Dick (maybe one year extra), and I like the age gap existing between Dick and Barbara because I like Barbara debuting as a fully-fledged adult in the same time frame as she did originally, with their 7 year age gap.
    That age gap no longer exists. Both were retconned to 21 in New 52, current Babs is "late twenties" and Dick lost nearly two decades (about 15 years?) of memories, making him also late twenties. The age up happened around the time Dick got amnesia and Babs got her current costume.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That age gap no longer exists. Both were retconned to 21 in New 52, current Babs is "late twenties" and Dick lost nearly two decades (about 15 years?) of memories, making him also late twenties.
    I know the age gap no longer exists - it was shrinking for years, even before reboot (and Dick was flat-out being deaged, which I dislike intensely and snarled continuity, too). That's a change I didn't like (that's what I was trying to express- my preference for pre-COIE age gap). Especially hated it when they said Selina was only two years older than Dick and Barbara (23 to their 21 before they got some years back).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-10-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    In her future I see Old Barbara being with Sam Young (Batman Beyond) but I don't know when it should start.
    You could have them meet in college or he's a young lawyer Batgirl runs into.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm actually interested in this, especially if he's based off The Wild Storm's take on Grifter.
    Well I was sitting here thinking of two things.

1. The biggest issue with Romance is editorial and fans. Because if editorial dont like or care abour a couple they'll let it fall apart or be thrown away and fans have to like a couple to a degree to consistently buy a book (unless your working with the "its Batman they'll buy it anyway" thing). Jim Lee loves his Wildcats and if he can get Grifters feet under the Bat table then itll introduce a whole new gen of fans to Wildcats so he'll stick up for it. People are sick of Dick never getting the trigger pulled, Bruce will never happen and everything else is meh.

2. Grifter has many of the same qualities as Jason without the awkwardness. It'll also help bridge the Wildstorm-DC gap a bit more. Finally its incredibly unrelated to the Gotham based stuff so its fresh and new, plus you can get alot of amusing character interactions with how out there Grifter is and how he doesnt give a **** about Batman.

The problem with Grifter is his name is Cole Cash...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The problem with Grifter is his name is Cole Cash...
    I don't get the joke, but my problem is he's a grifter and Babs is the commissioner's daughter. Although she's a vigilante, she's raised by a Lawful Good cop, so I don't think she's someone that can fall for a crime-related guy unless they actually stop.

Like that one car thief kid that she saved who then do social workers who then got involved with a crime again to save his criminal brother and got shot by her dad so of course, they broke up... what's his name...

Omigosh

His name is Ricky. Rick. Ric
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-11-2019 at 03:38 AM.

I am so not into bad boys, and definitely don't want Barbara to be either. Not just because I don't like them, but because I think it's very contrary to her character (at least in the eras I like her in).

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Excuse me please, are you talking about this Grifter?

556973._SX270_QL80_TTD_.jpg

The Grifter who was a member of the WildC.A.T.s of the Wildstorm Universe?
    I don't like the idea, because he is a character very older than Barbara, with a totally different moral and who belong to an universe, that should have been stay separated by the DC one. To me it would be almost like if Barbara were the Punisher's girlfriend.