Default Golden Globes Nominations.

I do have a complex view of awards in Hollywood, sometimes they are worth it, other times they are not but I had no trouble talking about them.

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards...es-1203426905/

I was rooting for Joker, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and Ford v Ferrari. Joker got 4 or 5 nominations and did well in the very important categories: directing, acting and motion picture. Amazing for a comic book movie that is barely rated fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and the media wanted to drive out of theatres.

The biggest though great surprise was to see Rocketman remembered. Not only is it better than Bohemian Rhapsody, I thought it coming out so early in the year would hurt its chances but am glad it picked up a few nominations.

I think the showdown this year will be between The Irishman and Once Upon a time in Hollywood. I saw The Irishman lastweek. A very well done movie with good story telling but Once upon a time in Hollywood just has more wow in it.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-12-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

A very well done movie.LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    A very well done movie.LOL.
    Honestly I don't even remember this scene because the film was 3 hours long. what stood out to me was the plot and performances of the three leads and some of the subject topics especially with Denario and his daughter. its was a well done movie overall but Once upon a time in Hollywood was better.

I am just happy Joker and Rocketman were nominated

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Honestly I don't even remember this scene because the film was 3 hours long. what stood out to me was the plot and performances of the three leads and some of the subject topics especially with Denario and his daughter. its was a well done movie overall but Once upon a time in Hollywood was better.

I am just happy Joker and Rocketman were nominated
    3hrs of bad cgi and recycled acting from the past 30 yrs. Yes it was very well done.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 12-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Retired

I haven't seen THE IRISHMAN, but DeNiro's character looks to be in his forties and that seems realistic to me. Most of us normal men can't move like Brad Pitt in ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD. Maybe movie audiences are spoiled by Hollywood stunt work and don't realise that regular people aren't that capable. We're stumbling around most of the time and moving slow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I haven't seen THE IRISHMAN, but DeNiro's character looks to be in his forties and that seems realistic to me. Most of us normal men can't move like Brad Pitt in ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD. Maybe movie audiences are spoiled by Hollywood stunt work and don't realise that regular people aren't that capable. We're stumbling around most of the time and moving slow.
    Speak for yourself Jim. I don't know anybody in their 40s moving around like they are 70. DeNiro was in his late 40s when he did Good Fellas so I guess it was unrealistic the way he was moving back then. That's why this clip is getting clowned so much on the internet because it highlights one of the biggest problems with the movie. The cgi and actor's movements don't match up.

I suppose someone might try to make an argument that this clip doesn't look bad and the cgi in the movie wasn't a problem. But I wouldn't get into a debate about that because that would be some real bullshit.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 12-11-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Saw that the Lion King remake got a couple of nominations. Not at all impressed with that decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw that the Lion King remake got a couple of nominations. Not at all impressed with that decision.
    Disney must be upset and frustrated. they argued so much that the movie was live action, looks like it is getting categorised as animation. Beyonce wants golden globes and oscars so bad, Good luck to her, Better her than Taylor swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    De-Aageing CGI has limits, Hollywood has not perfected it yet but that should not be the forcus of the film. people are more interested in the story about the irishman. sadly I have chosen to ignore CliffHanger2 for now. nothing he is saying is interesting to me anymore.

SAGs came out yesterday. Bombshell did well. Joker was shut out apart from best actor. I won't be surprised if joker does not get best picture at the Oscars because it got no golden globe nomination for writing, usually screenplays are the best indicators for best picture. However SAGs has been very politically driven in the last few years, so I can't say either.

Joker's so focused on the lead it doesn't seem like a film that would really get nominated for best cast.

After the SAG and Golden Globe nomination, Taron Egerton seems to have a better chance of a nomination this year than Robert De Niro. De Niro probably has two problems: it's not a very showy performance, and he was nominated recently so there's no particular rush to validate his relevance (Pesci came out of retirement and Pacino's last nomination was in 1993.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Irishman got shout out. Big congrats to Joker and Rocketman. for wining both best actors categories and wining both musical categories for score and song.

I need to now watch 1917, if it is anywhere as good as Dunkirk. I am in.

I am glad a film like 1917 won. The GG are a joke. (the "foreign press" are a bunch of waiters with credentials from obscure news agencies).
    But the show is fun and a win like this helps a film that is under the radar like 1917. I heard is a remarkable film. Shot as if it is all one take.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Wait--did anyone actually see Missing Link? Really better than Toy Story and Frozen II? It looked awful from the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Wait--did anyone actually see Missing Link? Really better than Toy Story and Frozen II? It looked awful from the trailers.
    Was thinking the same thing. But I felt the same way about the 1917 trailers. Now I wanna go see it. So I'll give missing link a chance. But yea TOY story 4 was pretty great so missing link must have been a sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I saw it and loved it. It is stop motion animation from the studio that did Kubo and the Two Strings and Coraline. It didn't do well at the Box Office, thus the surprise of the director when he won.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!