Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Matthew Rosenberg Speaks on his X-men run

Surprise there isnt a thread for it. He just did an interview with the Battle of the Atom podcast. I listened to it earlier and here are cliffs

Phoenix Resurrection
    He is a ig Jean fan and was honored to get to write her return. He was given a week to give the pitch after accepting it but Marvel did not like it. They wanted a bigger story which would have involved the Shi'ar and the cosmic elements of Xmen but MR felt those were more about Phoenix and not Jean, whom he felt was overshadowed by it. Someone said 'so you're writing a breakup story?' and MR said yeah he was bc he felt the two had a toxic relationship and wanted Jean to have agency in her own story. The role of the X-men was that of support group to someone in a co-dependent relationship. The Xmen were there to help her find a home when she was ready to leave the Phoenix. He was able to convince them to write the smaller scale mini instead of space wars. A woman gaining her agency after 30+ years

X-men Red
    Marvel wanted him to write Jean's book where she would lead the team. Red and Astonishing X-men were two names thrown around. He declined bc he didnt feel that Jean was in a position to lead a team with where he was going to leave her. He likes what Taylor wrote but its not what he would have done with the character. He liked seeing the seeds of what he laid out and someone taking it and going in a different direction

New Mutants: Dead Souls
    Due to the success of Resurrection, Marvel really wanted him to write a team book. He declined Red and wanted to do New Mutants instead. He talks about how it was going to orginally line up with the movie, which then got cancelled. He went with a darker tone bc these characters are no longer kids and wanted to reflect that. His story was supposed to go longer with a second volume. The first team would have been on the run as the stuff Karma got them involved with would have been pinned on them. The 2nd team which was hinted at would have consisted of Shatterstar, Cannonball, Sunspot and Skids and gone after the first team which would have been the villians

Multiple Man
    Marvel gave him carte blanche to write almost any book he wanted. They were frustrated with him bc he did not want to do he books they wanted him on. They were hoping he'd do something more proven like X-force or X-Factor that they knew would sell but he wanted Multiple Man. His rationale was that there would be an X-force regardless of he did it but no other writer wanted to do a Madrox book and there wouldnt be one without him. Considering they said he could do what he wanted, he was able to convince them to approve it. Originally there werent going to be any other X-men in the book and it would involve Jamie going to the future and figthing a villianous version of himself and dying to save the day. Editorial nixxed that as they wouldnt allow him to bring him back just to kill him off.

Astonishing X-men
    Marvel wanted him to write a new volume after Soule left but Rosenberg said no and wanted the numbering to be a continuation even if his stuff was all new. This run was cu shorter than originally planned. He wanted to end his run with the return of Cyclops. The plot would have involved Sinister and clones. The team would have thought he cloned Scott and Alex would have realized that nah, he was really back. MR also wanted to explore Havok inquiring why Sinister never had any interest in him. BUT at the writer summit, Brisson pitched his Extermination idea first so Scott was revived there

Uncanny X-men
    Alot of the plot was his idea bc he had already been working on a number of X-projects and had unused story, unlike Kelly and Ed that didnt have as much unused plot. Year 2 of Astonishing X-men was going to be Legion and X-man going to war and the X-Men sensing the same sense of terror that humans felt being bysandards to two dangerous mutants battling it out. He pitched it and everyone liked it. Its different from what he would have done bc he had 2 other writers.

This got dark in the second half of the book due to editorial mandate. They knew Hickman was coming and they had to clear the board for him. Things needed to be horrific to make his new status quo light in comparison. That was the point of Disassembled but bc of timing/scheduling, all those characters would be in Age of X-man, where things werent exactly bad for mutants. Thats why he got to make things depressing in his run and it was the end of the era that started with Morrison. He touches on Rahne's death and things not working out exactly the way expected

https://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/12/...hew-rosenberg/
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-02-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Only thing he should really be saying is "I apologize." lol I'm still reeling from his Uncanny.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Rosenberg's idea of Jean being depressed and not really happy with returning to life is certainly a take... that I'm not actually against tbh and I would like to see more emotional weight to ppl coming back to life rather than it being seen as a casual thing.

This got dark in the second half of the book due to editorial mandate. They knew Hickman was coming and they had to clear the board for him. Things needed to be horrific to make his new status quo light in comparison.
    At the time he talked like it was all his idea with little editorial oversight. or it was jdw?
    So I really can't put all the blame on him for so many deaths and darkness.

Rosenberg Jean was pretty depressed to lead a team, but thankfully Taylor did a good job turning it around

BANNED

I know back in 2017, everything he touched turned to gold and it seemed he’d be like what King Cates ended up being, but it’s hilarious how much free reign he was allowed when other writers were constantly hamstrung by editorial.

BANNED

Lol his plan sounds like it was gonna have JG depressed and useless until Cyclops came back. Imagine not having Red and that instead. Yikes.

Thank you Sir Taylor!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Only thing he should really be saying is "I apologize." lol I'm still reeling from his Uncanny.
    Agreed. I liked some of his work but ultimately...I’d never want to see him on X-Men again.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I know back in 2017, everything he touched turned to gold and it seemed he’d be like what King Cates ended up being, but it’s hilarious how much free reign he was allowed when other writers were constantly hamstrung by editorial.
    editorial also placed mandates on him

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Given how much a common thread "the X-Office wanted me to do this, but I wanted to do that" seems to be, I guess it's not a wonder he's working on other parts of the MU now.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

he was the first xwriter to acknowledge ororo being a true goddess. he will forever be in my debt!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    At the time he talked like it was all his idea with little editorial oversight. or it was jdw?
    So I really can't put all the blame on him for so many deaths and darkness.

Rosenberg Jean was pretty depressed to lead a team, but thankfully Taylor did a good job turning it around
    I dont think editorial told him to kill all those characters but the tone needed to be dark and desperate for mutantkind. The X-men needed to end so he crafted a story which put their backs against the wall which had hem losing

Amazing Member

The way he contextualized / and reasoned for the stories he wrote, makes me like him more, and maybe even his stories. His ideas make a lot of sense. It was just his execution that was lacking. I'd much rather take this, than a competently written, but overly safe X-Men story.

Also, he's super right about Jean, and X-Men Red. I like that he has conviction, and stands by his belief in the characters, and is willing to turn down big books. Even if I don't agree with him on some of his takes, I respect him more.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Surprise there isnt a thread for it. He just did an interview with the Battle of the Atom podcast. I listened to it earlier and here are cliffs

Phoenix Resurrection
    He is a ig Jean fan and was honored to get to write her return. He was given a week to give the pitch after accepting it but Marvel did not like it. They wanted a bigger story which would have involved the Shi'ar and the cosmic elements of Xmen but MR felt those were more about Jean and not Phoenix, whom he felt overshadowed her. Someone said 'so you're writing a breakup story?' and MR said yeah he was bc he felt the two had a toxic relationship and wanted Jean to have agency in her own story. The role of the X-men was that of support group to someone in a co-dependent relationship. The Xmen were there to help her find a home when she was ready to leave the Phoenix. He was able to convince them to write the smaller scale mini instead of space wars. A woman gaining her agency after 30+ years

X-men Red
    Marvel wanted him to write Jean's book where she would lead the team. Red and Astonishing X-men were two names thrown around. He declined bc he didnt feel that Jean was in a position to lead a team with where he was going to leave her. He likes what Taylor wrote but its not what he would have done with the character. He liked seeing the seeds of what he laid out and someone taking it and going in a different direction

New Mutants: Dead Souls
    Due to the success of Resurrection, Marvel really wanted him to write a team book. He declined Red and wanted to do New Mutants instead. He talks about how it was going to orginally line up with the movie, which then got cancelled. He went with a darker tone bc these characters are no longer kids and wanted to reflect that. His story was supposed to go longer with a second volume. The first team would have been on the run as the stuff Karma got them involved with would have been pinned on them. The 2nd team which was hinted at would have consisted of Shatterstar, Cannonball, Sunspot and Skids and gone after the first team which would have been the villians

Multiple Man
    Marvel gave him carte blanche to write almost any book he wanted. They were frustrated with him bc he did not want to do he books they wanted him on. They were hoping he'd do something more proven like X-force or X-Factor that they knew would sell but he wanted Multiple Man. His rationale was that there would be an X-force regardless of he did it but no other writer wanted to do a Madrox book and there wouldnt be one without him. Considering they said he could do what he wanted, he was able to convince them to approve it. Originally there werent going to be any other X-men in the book and it would involve Jamie going to the future and figthing a villianous version of himself and dying to save the day. Editorial nixxed that as they wouldnt allow him to bring him back just to kill him off.

Astonishing X-men
    Marvel wanted him to write a new volume after Soule left but Rosenberg said no and wanted the numbering to be a continuation even if his stuff was all new. This run was cu shorter than originally planned. He wanted to end his run with the return of Cyclops. The plot would have involved Sinister and clones. The team would have thought he cloned Scott and Alex would have realized that nah, he was really back. MR also wanted to explore Havok inquiring why Sinister never had any interest in him. BUT at the writer summit, Brisson pitched his Extermination idea first so Scott was revived there

Uncanny X-men
    Alot of the plot was his idea bc he had already been working on a number of X-projects and had unused story, unlike Kelly and Ed that didnt have as much unused plot. Year 2 of Astonishing X-men was going to be Legion and X-man going to war and the X-Men sensing the same sense of terror that humans felt being bysandards to two dangerous mutants battling it out. He pitched it and everyone liked it. Its different from what he would have done bc he had 2 other writers.

This got dark in the second half of the book due to editorial mandate. They knew Hickman was coming and they had to clear the board for him. Things needed to be horrific to make his new status quo light in comparison. That was the point of Disassembled but bc of timing/scheduling, all those characters would be in Age of X-man, where things werent exactly bad for mutants. Thats why he got to make things depressing in his run and it was the end of the era that started with Morrison. He touches on Rahne's death and things not working out exactly the way expected

https://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/12/...hew-rosenberg/
    Thanks for the cliffs. I hate podcasts. I miss articles... Us mid 80s babies got the best of the best and the worst of the worst dealing with some things now. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    he was the first xwriter to acknowledge ororo being a true goddess. he will forever be in my debt!!!
    ........along with two other writers?

Just so we're clear, Rosenberg is forbidden from stepping foot on Krakoa. That Uncanny run was all-time bad.