Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Will Marvel ever revive

The Ultimate Line? Has more potential than 2099 imo.

Are you reading Venom and Miles Morales? Those two books have Ultimate related stuff going on right now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the problem is the Ultimate line fell apart so bad at the end it kind of left a bad stink on things. Pretty much everything from Ultimatum on was not good.

If anything I would not mind seeing books set in the cinematic universe. They have so much they could pull from there at this point.

Extraordinary Member

It looks like Marvel is going to do something with them. I'm not sure what, but it looks fun.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I don't know, it had a good run and many elements were later migrated to the films or combined with the Mainstream comics universe. I can't say there aren't some things that I wouldn't mind looking back into, but I'm content with the Fifteen years we got. I'd be all for Marvel having another go at something like the Ultimate Universe though, just a serious ongoing effort to reboot/re-establish some Marvel heroes in a modern context without decades of baggage at square one.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The one thing I'll say for an Ultimate revival is that if it's going to happen, the writers should remember that "realistic" does not equal "make (almost) everyone a bunch of unlikeable jerks at best and irredeemable, monstrous sociopaths at worst." If there's no reason to want to see the protagonist(s) win beyond "the other guys are (even) worse," then who's gonna care what happens to them or the world they inhabit?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Elements of the UU can be mined for future main universe stories but there's nothing to gain from trying to make the diet Marvel Universe an ongoing thing again.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Jeph Loeb killed the Ultimate line dead.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    He just made it obvious, really. The line was hardly sustainable. Millar went through characters and plots like cordwood for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think the problem is the Ultimate line fell apart so bad at the end it kind of left a bad stink on things. Pretty much everything from Ultimatum on was not good.

If anything I would not mind seeing books set in the cinematic universe. They have so much they could pull from there at this point.
    You do realize that Miles Morales and the Maker are from after Ultimatum, right?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The one thing I'll say for an Ultimate revival is that if it's going to happen, the writers should remember that "realistic" does not equal "make (almost) everyone a bunch of unlikeable jerks at best and irredeemable, monstrous sociopaths at worst." If there's no reason to want to see the protagonist(s) win beyond "the other guys are (even) worse," then who's gonna care what happens to them or the world they inhabit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I always believed that Jeph Loeb was using that story-line to work through his grief. Because, honestly, I can't think of any other reason Ultimatum would have gone the way it did.

But the problem went beyond Jeph Loeb. Almost all of the writers seemed to use the Ultimate line to create the ultraviolent storylines they couldn't always get away with in the main MU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    You do realize that Miles Morales and the Maker are from after Ultimatum, right?
    And they are really the best parts of the Ultimate line. Miles is just awesome and versatile and the Maker is just an awesome villain. I can't wait for him to just wreck some more stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The Ultimate Line? Has more potential than 2099 imo.
    Definitely. Have in mind that Ultimate Spider-Man (and with it, the complete line) started in October 2000. That means that in October 2020 it will be the 20th anniversary: a good moment to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Have you heard about the Age of Apocalypse? It's everything you said and then some. And people love it.

There have been rumors that Marvel might want to bring it back somehow. They did establish that it exists again if they want to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I always believed that Jeph Loeb was using that story-line to work through his grief. Because, honestly, I can't think of any other reason Ultimatum would have gone the way it did.
    I thought Nova was the series he used for that? Sam Alexander is actually named after his deceased son, isn't he?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He just made it obvious, really. The line was hardly sustainable. Millar went through characters and plots like cordwood for shock value.
    Hardly sustainable? HARDLY SUSTAINABLE??!! You think that letter on Cap's head stands for "Inhumans"?