Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

2099 is old enough to have the nostalgia factor. The Ultimate universe just ended not that long ago. Give it another 5-10 years and it will be in the same place 2099 is now.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I thought Nova was the series he used for that? Sam Alexander is actually named after his deceased son, isn't he?
    He wrote Nova years after Ultimatum, at a point where I would assume he was in a very different part of the grieving process. Honestly, this was always a frustrating thing with him. I've never seen a writer vary between such differences in quality.

BANNED

Bendis brought it back, but some other recent book says it broken.

Unless theres more than 1 now.

Boisterously Confused

At some point, somebody will once again say "let's start everything from day one to attract new readers and freshen up old brands." Whether that will be through an Ultimate revival, or some new imprint...time will tell.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Definitely. Have in mind that Ultimate Spider-Man (and with it, the complete line) started in October 2000. That means that in October 2020 it will be the 20th anniversary: a good moment to do that.

Have you heard about the Age of Apocalypse? It's everything you said and then some. And people love it.
    I see your point, though AoA was an alternate timeline created by the death of Charles Xavier before he could found the X-Men and was never sold as the "ultimate" version of what the X-Men or any other Marvel hero could, should, or would be. That's the major difference, I would think.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I see your point, though AoA was an alternate timeline created by the death of Charles Xavier before he could found the X-Men and was never sold as the "ultimate" version of what the X-Men or any other Marvel hero could, should, or would be. That's the major difference, I would think.
    Neither were the Ultimate comics. If they were, the former and "outdated" ones would have been cancelled and replaced by them, as with Heroes Reborn and New 52.

As for the word "Ultimate", don't read too much into it. It was just a quick way to brand the comic and clarify the reader which ones were part of the imprint and which ones were not. Was the adjetive "Ultimate" a bit over the top? Of course... just like "Amazing", "Spectacular", "Unlimited", "Invincible", "Incredible", "Uncanny", "Mighty", etc.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Neither were the Ultimate comics. If they were, the former and "outdated" ones would have been cancelled and replaced by them, as with Heroes Reborn and New 52.

As for the word "Ultimate", don't read too much into it. It was just a quick way to brand the comic and clarify the reader which ones were part of the imprint and which ones were not. Was the adjetive "Ultimate" a bit over the top? Of course... just like "Amazing", "Spectacular", "Unlimited", "Invincible", "Incredible", "Uncanny", "Mighty", etc.
    I see your point, and funny enough, Marvel did at least discuss canceling the original 616 line if Ultimate sold well enough. Of course, since 616 then started cribbing from Ultimate . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

Hardly sustainable? HARDLY SUSTAINABLE??!! You think that letter on Cap's head stands for "Inhumans"?
    They burned through characters too quickly, and frankly, too thoughtlessly. Don't get me started on Black Panther...

I rather they start fresh than revive the old Ultimate universe.

Hardly sustainable? HARDLY SUSTAINABLE??!! You think that letter on Cap's head stands for "Inhumans"?
    Yeah, I mean, for some of us, Ultimate is the "real" comic versions of these character(s), or at least certain characters.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I see your point, and funny enough, Marvel did at least discuss canceling the original 616 line if Ultimate sold well enough. Of course, since 616 then started cribbing from Ultimate . . .
    I have heard that, but when I wrote the wikipedia article I could not find anyone (any important page, author or Marvel authority) that mentioned this. All I found were forum posts. How do I know that it isn't just an urban myth?

Extraordinary Member

I think the issue with the Ultimate line is that it pretty quickly became as convuleted and confusing as 616, but in a third of the time.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

To coin an LSH phrase, I'd be in favor of a retroboot to pre-Ultimatum. Ultimatum did too much damage to the line for it to be worth picking up where it left off. My understanding is that the darkness of it was a combination of a heavily grieving writer, and staff around him who were understandably unwilling to exercise some discretion on what would and would not see occur during that story. In my opinion, and I understand it to be a relatively common one, is that the good things that came as a result of that even were vastly outnumbered and outweighed by the damage done to nearly every character.

BANNED

The Inhumans aren't hardly sustainable.
    Their only problem was how the push was handled and Marvel went about implementing it.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

If they were to restart the Ultimate universe, they’d have to do it to a point before Ultimatum, or even Ultimates V3, which seriously derailed the whole thing.

To do that, you’d likely lose the likes of Miles and the Maker whom are really the enduring characters of the UU.

*Edit*

It occurs to me that the Ultimate imprint was launched with Ultimate Spidey. Perhaps Marvel could expand on Spider-Gwens world if they wanted to try something like the Ultimate line again?
    Last edited by Shinglepants; 12-11-2019 at 05:06 PM.