Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Civil War titles a must read for Tony Stark reading?

I am gathering a bunch of Iron Man titles from the past few years, is reading Civil War stuff a must?

I checked the original out years ago and hated it

Astonishing Member

No. But read the comics after it, like Fraction's run on Invincible Iron Man.

If you like Tony Stark, I'd actually suggest staying far away from Civil War.

They're completely wrong, you have to read it. But also read Casualties of War, the Iron Man tie-ins, Front Line, and the Confession.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

If you read it before and didn't like it, I would not recommend reading something you simply don't enjoy.

But I will say it's a VERY important part of this characters history. And it arguably solidified him as one of the most important characters in the marvel universe. I think people today almost take it for granted how important Iron Man is because of his prominant role in the MCU movies... but prior to Civil War I think a pretty good arguement could be made he was sort of a B lister. This story helped elevate him to the top of the comic heirarchy even before the movies.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Agree with the above 2 posts. This event elevated Iron-Man to the top. It’s important.

You should skip it. It simply is not Iron Man. It's a Mark Millar character wearing Iron Man's skin. It's no more useful to someone reading normal Iron Man than the Injustice: Gods Amongst Us video game is useful to someone reading normal Superman.

It is a touchstone time in the characters existence. IT is more than just another cap IM split although that is part of it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    They're completely wrong, you have to read it. But also read Casualties of War, the Iron Man tie-ins, Front Line, and the Confession.
    I actually agree. They're very impactful on his character. Even if people don't like Civil War, it's hard to pretend they weren't significant. I also really like the Iron Man issues that are tie-ins to the first event because they humanize Tony the best. Front Line, of course, is the worst for him. In Civil War II, there's the great Iron Man/Captain Marvel AA issue that might be my favorite.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Agree with the above 2 posts. This event elevated Iron-Man to the top. It’s important.
    If anything it derailed the character on the comic side for years, it was the movies who elevated Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    If anything it derailed the character on the comic side for years, it was the movies who elevated Stark.
    This^

Civil War didn't elevate Iron Man, it destroyed him. I honestly believe that Civil War would have resulted in Iron Man being cancelled and his character permanently becoming a villain if the movies hadn't saved him.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    This^

Civil War didn't elevate Iron Man, it destroyed him. I honestly believe that Civil War would have resulted in Iron Man being cancelled and his character permanently becoming a villain if the movies hadn't saved him.
    But it didn’t. And it spawned several several comics where Iron-Man was a front and centre central figure.
    Movies or not: Iron Man still became a dominant part of the MU from Civil War onwards

I loved Iron Man from Extremis until Faction, who's run I disliked. Much of the movie Iron Man came from these comics. Elements are in the first and third movies as well as the Captain America Civil War movie which affects the Avengers movies etc... Even the Iron Spider came from this era and the writing is fantastic. It's surprising we never saw more of the Knauf's. Probably has to do with the TV money being so much more than comics could hope to offer.

Let's put it this way.

Is Civil War a good comic? That's up for opinions.

Is Civil War a turning point in the history of Iron Man? Definitely, it is.

As others have stated. We can argue over if Civil War was good or bad all day, but it is EXTREMELY important to Tony's history. Especially about everything that comes after. So I would read just the tie ins that have to do with him.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 06-22-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark