Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Sounds like a pretty good law.

As much as we love the young, spunky heroes...would you give a Glock to a 15 year old and deputize him??

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I am very much looking forward to this. And Sam isn't taking anyones crap in that last panel (Sam is my favorite)
    Mine too (following it for Nova here)... am looking forward to this.
    Endeavor to persevere.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post

As much as we love the young, spunky heroes...would you give a Glock to a 15 year old and deputize him??
    I mean, the teen heroes literally haven't done any worse than the adults who have created two Civil Wars, a World War Hulk, the Phoenix Five situation, Secret Empire....
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, the teen heroes literally haven't done any worse than the adults who have created two Civil Wars, a World War Hulk, the Phoenix Five situation, Secret Empire....
    Give them time. Civil War's impetus was technically "reckless teen heroes catastrophically botched an attempt to stop a villain, getting themselves and roughly 600 innocent people in the vicinity killed," after all, so the onus was on the adults to take responsibility and put an end to superhuman vigilantism. Threw the New Warriors under the bus, sadly, but that was how it happened. Come to think of it, I'd like to see the New Warriors come back for this, too, maybe offering to create a "Big Brothers & Sisters, but for superheroes" kind of program in lieu of just outlawing teenage heroes altogether.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Give them time. Civil War's impetus was technically "reckless teen heroes catastrophically botched an attempt to stop a villain, getting themselves and roughly 600 innocent people in the vicinity killed," after all, so the onus was on the adults to take responsibility and put an end to superhuman vigilantism. Threw the New Warriors under the bus, sadly, but that was how it happened. Come to think of it, I'd like to see the New Warriors come back for this, too, maybe offering to create a "Big Brothers & Sisters, but for superheroes" kind of program in lieu of just outlawing teenage heroes altogether.
    their time will never come
    they'll just mostly be forgotten or relegated to smaller roles, while the adults make civil war 3, age of ultron 5.0 , Everyone is Now Evil 47, and ultimately end up with cleaner records than all the adults put together.

They'll never be big enough or get big enough to be the movers and shakers, and thus never be big enough to cause real change, but also not big enough to cause real damage. The next generation will never come, it'll just be replaced with a new next generation.

BANNED

The question is do you want to see a teen hero like... idk... nova or miles break the law, then have people try to arrest them, then when they resist by fighting back because they consider it unjust end up in conflicts with the law that probably involve them ultimately getting beaten down and then sent to juvy?

The "young people did it!" was the excuse Iron Man used and the one some pre-reg did too but it wasn't what actually happened though. The New Warriors were hardly teen heroes at the time and it was more "Experienced heroes have plot induced stupidity forced upon them and villains enabled by the reckless Damage Control corporation kill people". And then 'adults' like Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, and the Skrull pretending to be Hank Pym made it worse at every chance.

It would be cool to see a new New Warriors with the set up of 'helping train a new generation'. Mix in some of the classics with some established but neglected teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    The question is do you want to see a teen hero like... idk... nova or miles break the law, then have people try to arrest them, then when they resist by fighting back because they consider it unjust end up in conflicts with the law that probably involve them ultimately getting beaten down and then sent to juvy?
    No the real question is do you want see Captain America, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Iron Man but together a program where young heroes(and their families) are trained and protected from liability and villains. As mentioned before they solved riddle teenage heroes in hero academy for American superhero comics the ages have to be slightly older because culture and what is considered adult. Something like "Avengers U" where the Avengers train a group of young college age and near college heroes let's say Miles Morales, Ms Marvel, X-23, Nova, Shuri, Ironheart, Patriot, Hawkeye, Stature, America Chavez, Wiccan, Nico Minoru, Viv, Franklin Richards,Julie Powers etc.

People are fighting against something that isn't really far off what you are already reading. All the superhero boxes are checked. You still get teen drama but they are 16 and up with rare exceptions .They are still running around doing hero stuff but they are being trained and protected by older heroes. They can still be solo heroes but comes after a certain amount of training they are given a provisional licences. which means the can help out with dangerous situations but mostly focus on rescue . In honesty is just a small tweak it is basically what if Champions was sponsored and trained by the Avengers. Instead of teens doing dangerous mission alone and couple of member of the Avengers would do missions with teens ala the time Miles,Kamela and Sam where on the Avengers or West Coast Avengers with old Hawkeye. Comics don't have to be realistic but they can put some better internal logic/rules in the world

- Teen heroes aren't expected to fight villains their number priority is saving people
    - Teens are trained by experts so the liability issue is not around in the same way it won't be teen hero if something goes wrong. They have an organization protecting teen heroes and their families from fallout both legally and criminal wise
    - Teen heroes are aren't 14 and 15 running around with no supervision, They are 17 and 18 functional legal adults that are supervised until they get their "superhero license"

Comic fans are quick to defend the tropes, Once upon a time a large amount of superheroes wore domino masks, Overtime the genre has move away from it. In past most heroes wore colorful costumes and had secret identities and comics has mostly moved on from those things. Now they are still heroes with all those things I mention but they aren't the norm. Why are we eager to keep younger teen heroes as the norm? An occasional Moon Girl,Molly Hayes,Valeria and Franklin Richards is fine, but what is wrong with Ms Marvel, Nova and Miles being just a bit older. Batman running around with 14 year old and Batman running around with 17 year old feels different. Miles as 13 year old hero and Miles as 16 year old hero feels different. It is not worse thing if in general Marvel teen heroes are created a little bit older. A story like this could lead to better comic world logic.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-15-2019 at 01:43 AM.

This can only mean we’re getting a Pinpoint ongoing in 2020, right? Right?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Comics don't really care about what's logical in real life, though. Many could argue the SHRA was entirely logical if superheroes existed in the real world, but in a work of fiction, it was never going to last because it would fundamentally change how superhero stories are told in the future, essentially erasing some classic concepts like secret identity.
    That ship has already sailed. Most Marvel superheroes don’t have a secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That ship has already sailed. Most Marvel superheroes don’t have a secret identity.
    More specifically Most teen heroes don't have secret identities in classic sense. Miles, Nova, Ms Marvel, Stature,etc every one of their parents know they are superheroes. Secret identity stuff have been done to death so there is no pay off anymore because we have seen it million times already. The "secret identity" is more for the general public like CIA operative or uncover agent. And that is better way to handle honestly you can still have "regular" people not around you know but you don't have the stretch of realism that person living with you doesn't notice that leaving going and coming at certain times. I mean I know could never been Spiderman as teen my parents would tear apart my room or secret search my room if they thought we was hiding something. It is weird concept of trying to hide stuff from your parents in a world where your parents can gps follow with their phone and if you miss class or late at some schools your parents get a text. But I am "overthinking" it I am just supposed to go with it and say because comics aren't trying to be realistic.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I'm hoping Outlawed won't throw the Champions under the bus just as badly, 'cause I feel like to this day, the New Warriors still carry that stigma from Civil War, no matter how many other stories they've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As long as there are heroes who still have a secret identity, the concept is still worth keeping in the eyes of the publisher. I mean, the fact that Marvel did One More Day just to give Spider-Man his secret identity back is enough evidence about how modern comics are not ready to let that go.

Hmmm I wonder Superman revealing his identity "again" point as evidence as modern comics going "nah we ready to let it go". There is no right or wrong way to make a superhero stories but it is dam certain that costumes and secret identities aren't thought of as essentials to tell a story inside of the genre anymore. They are about 2 heroes(maybe 3) whose secret identity being reveal in a story matters or significant changes anything in the book. Tropes changes as the world changes and staying static is bad. Change is okay we went from capes, domino mask and strongman trunks to no masks ,no capes, "superhero" Kevlar and in between we had spandex and leather.

"The essentials" can change and will continue change as comics thanks to nerd culture becoming more mainstream in America comics are allowed to be more mature and smart. And sometimes that means going hey it is pretty messed to have a 14 year old fighting crime. Universal every develop country has laws against child soldiers heck they are laws against children working or just even driving a car. Comics doesn't have to be realistic but you can tweak the logic to make a little more sense.

Cassie Lang in her debut as Stature showed why domino masks don't work. Her mother saw her on TV - and recognised her because of her hair and costume (which was the deceased Scott's). The mask was the only thing she'd added herself - due to being unable to get Scott's helmet - and it didn't hide her identity at all. It honestly isn't surprising that Kamala's mother and friends figured it out before she told them either, same reason. Unlike Cassie's disapproving mother though (she only finally accepted it at the end of Spencer's Astonishing Ant-Man more than a decade later), Kamala's didn't mind. She was just happy to have raised a righteous child.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    More specifically Most teen heroes don't have secret identities in classic sense. Miles, Nova, Ms Marvel, Stature,etc every one of their parents know they are superheroes.
    Kamala's don't, they got memory wiped. Also, Cassie's codename is Stinger now.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    This can only mean we’re getting a Pinpoint ongoing in 2020, right? Right?
    I know that's a joke, but we do barely know him, so it would be nice if they could get Zub (his creator) to write a one-shot showing his origin.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-15-2019 at 06:53 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No the real question is do you want see Captain America, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Iron Man but together a program where young heroes(and their families) are trained and protected from liability and villains.
    And then a writer with a taste for melodrama will have it concealing a dark secret, before revealing that it has been infiltrated by an incognito supervillain, who blows it up after killing a few of the newly-created young heroes for added Evil™.

And then, if we're lucky, the book will get relaunched as a Battle Royale ripoff!