Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Another thing about the enforcement of the law is... how are they gonna know which heroes are underage, in the case of heroes who don't have an open identity? They can't just go around arresting people because they ''look'' under 21. And in order for them to find out the actual age of some of those heroes, that would require the government to know the secret identities of all the heroes who are people of interest due to... looking too young? That alone will open up a can of worms. I guess that's why they said heroes who are a bit older will be affected too.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    How would the gov't even begin to enforce this edict? Are we to believe that the adult heroes would be ordered to detain the teens or is the gov't going to form a taskforce to arrest them. Don't see this ending well at all.
    It probably won't end well. And I imagine that's the point. Much like the SHRA or Captain Marvel's Minority Report, it's not supposed to work. It's pretty much a plot device to create conflict. Considering how many teen/young characters Marvel has, I don't think it's in their interest to keep this as a status quo. I give it one year or less until things go back to normal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Another thing about the enforcement of the law is... how are they gonna know which heroes are underage, in the case of heroes who don't have an open identity? They can't just go around arresting people because they ''look'' under 21. And in order for them to find out the actual age of some of those heroes, that would require the government to know the secret identities of all the heroes who are people of interest due to... looking too young? That alone will open up a can of worms. I guess that's why they said heroes who are a bit older will be affected too.

they shall use clandestine methods like taking dna and analyzing it for age, using x-ray type visions to see bone ossification to estimate, looking at your teeth.
    It will also be super sciency, so it would very precise

BANNED

the dna will later be used to make evil clones of the underage heroes

BANNED

this will backfire on the adults and the young uns will have to save em
    the government will realize, yes child super heroes are good, and just as if not more mature than the adults

BANNED

A new team book will be made from the aftermath, called something like "Sanctioned"

It will sell well for the first 5 issues, then sales will plummet
    One of them will be killed brutally again to revive it.

It probably won't end well. And I imagine that's the point. Much like the SHRA or Captain Marvel's Minority Report, it's not supposed to work. It's pretty much a plot device to create conflict. Considering how many teen/young characters Marvel has, I don't think it's in their interest to keep this as a status quo. I give it one year or less until things go back to normal.
    I don't see why it has to end that badly. Yeah of course it is plot device to create conflict BUT it is logical issue that comics should approach differently which is unmonitor/regulated teen heroes and heroes not training teen heroes properly.If you noticed the law is at 21 which is way higher than 18. At 17 in the US you can join the military with your parents permission. So there is actually some wiggle room in this story. It could easily end with law begin lower to 18 and heroes be below that having to be trained and supervised by an adult hero.I think big fact that people are overlooking this actually a course correction for comics that should happen and it is little easier for Marvel to make this change because Marvel doesn't have a history of teen sidekicks.This status quo can hold up

- Despite have tons of teen heroes at Marvel when you look at how many books Marvel actually has out with teens Miles Morales Spider-Man, Ghost Spider, Ms Marvel,Iron Heart,FF, Runways. Most successful marvel Teen heroes are 17ish sweet spot and can be age up if necessary. OR they can survive being vigliante style heroes ala Runways.The only hero that this probably a real issue for would be Moongirl.

- They have solve the modern teen hero puzzle, My Hero Academia(and tons manga) have proved the superhero training school is viable format (and yes Avengers Academy and Academy X are failures in this sense) but Marvel or DC never put in the real effort to make these books successful. These style of books of are the style of books you would put out for teen who are under age and realistically it is just the X-men kids who are already a school, The Runways who well won't care about the rule, The Champions who most of them are 18ish range,Young Avengers most of them who are young adults. Marvel hasn't been this great place for teen books I think most fans could live with Marvel just putting out Avengers Academy and Academy X again with proper support. I mean currently they have No Champions, No New X-men, No Young Avengers, No New Warriors just Future Foundation and Runways which sold 8,000 and 9,000 units.

Marvel shouldn't be teen hero business they should be in young adult hero business imo. Things shouldn't go back to normal it is not necessary for the Champions to be a group of younger teens running over world unsupervised nearly getting killed. A small tweak makes Champions a group of 17 or 18 something young adults where they can logically do these thing on their own because they are adults. A move from younger teens to young adults is better in longer run for the superhero genre.Things don't have to make complete sense of course it is comics but moving away from 14 to 16 year old heroes in genre where these heroes are only allowed to age one to two years for like 20 or 30 years of real time makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    - Despite have tons of teen heroes at Marvel when you look at how many books Marvel actually has out with teens Miles Morales Spider-Man, Ghost Spider, Ms Marvel,Iron Heart,FF, Runways. Most successful marvel Teen heroes are 17ish sweet spot and can be age up if necessary. OR they can survive being vigliante style heroes ala Runways.The only hero that this probably a real issue for would be Moongirl.
    Future Foundation and Ironheart are both cancelled. Moon Girl's book is also gone.

You later mention aging up... I can actually see that happening to Lunella, because she'll be older in her upcoming cartoon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    the dna will later be used to make evil clones of the underage heroes
    Assuming they don’t sell the dna to Xeno for Reaver components

Ah, the new X-Force villains. Already I've seen comments comparing them to the Court of Owls from Batman. I don't see it myself though. There's an important difference in their MO - the following contains spoilers for Nightwing and X-Force.
    spoilers:
    they're not trying to turn a hero into one of them, like the Owls have been trying with Dick Grayson since New 52 started (in fact, they succeeded last month). Instead, they're stealing powers for their own use (we saw them using Domino's, she was captured and harvested).
    end of spoilers
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Like, people mentioned Earth-65 Gwen Stacy. She's under 21 (I think) but she could pass enough for older in her costume compared to Miles that I don't see how this would be an issue for her.

People could still guess Gwen's age based on seeing her close to ESU. Where, of course, you'd find a lot of people aged 18-22. Squirrel Girl is a student there too, and got outed just before her book ended, so I think they'll be watching the place.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't see why it has to end that badly. Yeah of course it is plot device to create conflict BUT it is logical issue that comics should approach differently which is unmonitor/regulated teen heroes and heroes not training teen heroes properly.If you noticed the law is at 21 which is way higher than 18. At 17 in the US you can join the military with your parents permission. So there is actually some wiggle room in this story. It could easily end with law begin lower to 18 and heroes be below that having to be trained and supervised by an adult hero.I think big fact that people are overlooking this actually a course correction for comics that should happen and it is little easier for Marvel to make this change because Marvel doesn't have a history of teen sidekicks.This status quo can hold up

- They have solve the modern teen hero puzzle, My Hero Academia(and tons manga) have proved the superhero training school is viable format (and yes Avengers Academy and Academy X are failures in this sense) but Marvel or DC never put in the real effort to make these books successful. These style of books of are the style of books you would put out for teen who are under age and realistically it is just the X-men kids who are already a school, The Runways who well won't care about the rule, The Champions who most of them are 18ish range,Young Avengers most of them who are young adults. Marvel hasn't been this great place for teen books I think most fans could live with Marvel just putting out Avengers Academy and Academy X again with proper support. I mean currently they have No Champions, No New X-men, No Young Avengers, No New Warriors just Future Foundation and Runways which sold 8,000 and 9,000 units.

Marvel shouldn't be teen hero business they should be in young adult hero business imo. Things shouldn't go back to normal it is not necessary for the Champions to be a group of younger teens running over world unsupervised nearly getting killed. A small tweak makes Champions a group of 17 or 18 something young adults where they can logically do these thing on their own because they are adults. A move from younger teens to young adults is better in longer run for the superhero genre.Things don't have to make complete sense of course it is comics but moving away from 14 to 16 year old heroes in genre where these heroes are only allowed to age one to two years for like 20 or 30 years of real time makes sense.
    Comics don't really care about what's logical in real life, though. Many could argue the SHRA was entirely logical if superheroes existed in the real world, but in a work of fiction, it was never going to last because it would fundamentally change how superhero stories are told in the future, essentially erasing some classic concepts like secret identity. And underage people becoming heroes, despite how unrealistic it is, is also a classic comic book concept that I very much doubt is going away.

Marvel may not have the same history of sidekicks that DC has, but they absolutely have a lot of teen/young heroes that they have and will continue to push in the future. Some of the last decade's breakout starts came out of stories about underage heroes, like Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl. And not coincidentally, all three characters have relevant adaptions outside of comics already. Miles is the main character of an Oscar-winning animated film franchise. Kamala is getting her own live-action show in the MCU. Lunella is getting an animated show that will be directly produced by Disney. And they're underage heroes in all of those productions. Why would Marvel look at those fruitful characters and think: ''hey, you know what would be a good idea? To abolish the concept of underage heroes in the comics'', when the comics are exactly what made those characters successful in the first place? If anything, from a business perspective, they will want to KEEP TRYING to make more heroes like them happen, not the opposite. It doesn't matter if they don't have many teen books right now, because comics end and relaunch all the freaking time. By the time the next Spiderverse movie, the Ms. Marvel show and the Moon Girl show come out, I'm sure there will be plenty of other teen books that Marvel will be trying to push, and if they manage to turn some of them into relevant IP to use in other media and markets, it's a win for them, regardless of how much they sell in the american direct market of comics, which is really just a small slice of the Disney pie.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-12-2019 at 01:18 PM.

no heroes are scheduled to die, are they? Especially after what happened in that Mephisto incident (that hasn't exactly been resolved yet, has it?)

Comics don't really care about what's logical in real life, though. Many could argue the SHRA was entirely logical if superheroes existed in the real world, but in a work of fiction, it was never going to last because it would fundamentally change how superhero stories are told in the future, essentially erasing some classic concepts like secret identity. And underage people becoming heroes, despite how unrealistic it is, is also a classic comic book concept that I very much doubt is going away.

Marvel may not have the same history of sidekicks that DC has, but they absolutely have a lot of teen/young heroes that they have and will continue to push in the future. Some of the last decade's breakout starts came out of stories about underage heroes, like Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl. And not coincidentally, all three characters have relevant adaptions outside of comics already. Miles is the main character of an Oscar-winning animated film franchise. Kamala is getting her own live-action show in the MCU. Lunella is getting an animated show that will be directly produced by Disney. And they're underage heroes in all of those productions. Why would Marvel look at those fruitful characters and think: ''hey, you know what would be a good idea? To abolish the concept of underage heroes in the comics'', when the comics are exactly what made those characters successful in the first place? If anything, from a business perspective, they will want to KEEP TRYING to make more heroes like them happen, not the opposite. It doesn't matter if they don't have many teen books right now, because comics end and relaunch all the freaking time. By the time the next Spiderverse movie, the Ms. Marvel show and the Moon Girl show come out, I'm sure there will be plenty of other teen books that Marvel will be trying to push, and if they manage to turn some of them into relevant IP to use in other media and markets, it's a win for them, regardless of how much they sell in the american direct market of comics, which is really just a small slice of the Disney pie.

I think you mistaked what I am saying my point isn't to get rid of teen heroes but a large scale tweak to how Marvel approaches them wouldn't be a bad thing. A hard rule of 21 would lead to them creating more late teen heroes and aging up teen heroes and that is better for the genre and Marvel. Younger heroes being less common in the same way secret identities are less common the trope doesn't hold up as well today is the point. Teen heroes aren't going anywhere and genre will always have some level non realistic stuff but doesn't mean Marvel can't do better. The superhero genre has improved they don't have to go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    no heroes are scheduled to die, are they? Especially after what happened in that Mephisto incident (that hasn't exactly been resolved yet, has it?)
    It was resolved. When Miles saved Kamala and Viv by doing the deal, another girl he'd rescued died in their place. When he realised in issue 4, he quit the team, returning in issue 9.

The only thing Zub didn't resolve from his run was Sparky being infected by Ultron.