Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, they're all minors for the most part so I doubt they can send them to serious Superhero jail. I don't know if there's a superpowered equivalent to juvie.
    Tommy Shepherd/Speed was recruited by the original Young Avengers from a juvenile holding facility due to having blown up his school (perhaps by accident) with his manifested powers, so they likely do or would have a juvenile equivalent of The Raft or The Vault in the Marvel Universe. That being said, this is a semi-reasonable compromise that we could've gotten after the Stamford Incident if the people in power weren't bent on using that tragedy as an excuse to target all superheroes for registration and/or incarceration --- just require anyone underaged at the time they gain their superpowers and who wants to fight crime with them to sign up for superpowered vocational training first a la My Hero Academia, and anyone that washes out of the program isn't allowed to play superhero under criminal penalty. Of course, what I'm hoping for is that we don't get the same abuses and atrocities as committed by the pro-registration faction during the original Civil War, outlined by fellow poster Journey, in this event.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Tommy Shepherd/Speed was recruited by the original Young Avengers from a juvenile holding facility due to having blown up his school (perhaps by accident) with his manifested powers, so they likely do or would have a juvenile equivalent of The Raft or The Vault in the Marvel Universe. That being said, this is a semi-reasonable compromise that we could've gotten after the Stamford Incident if the people in power weren't bent on using that tragedy as an excuse to target all superheroes for registration and/or incarceration --- just require anyone underaged at the time they gain their superpowers and who wants to fight crime with them to sign up for superpowered vocational training first a la My Hero Academia, and anyone that washes out of the program isn't allowed to play superhero under criminal penalty. Of course, what I'm hoping for is that we don't get the same abuses and atrocities as committed by the pro-registration faction during the original Civil War, outlined by fellow poster Journey, in this event.
    I think it would probably be easy to turn the anti-teen hero vigilante people into strawmen antagonists, which while I can kind of understand from a protagonist perspective, it would be a little more interesting if it's more complicated then that.

I think it would probably be easy to turn the anti-teen hero vigilante people into strawmen antagonists, which while I can kind of understand from a protagonist perspective, it would be a little more interesting if it's more complicated then that.
    Like how Civil War turned the pro-registration side into out-and-out fascists who committed multiple human rights violations in the process of bringing the anti-registration forces to heel.

I mean, they're all minors for the most part so I doubt they can send them to serious Superhero jail. I don't know if there's a superpowered equivalent to juvie.
    During the first Civil War, they tried to depower people who fought against the SHRA. By injecting some sort of drug. Maybe they'd try that again. Would be useless against people like Hawkeye and Ironheart though, whose powers are entirely tech. But in those cases, they can just confiscate their equipment.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    During the first Civil War, they tried to depower people who fought against the SHRA. By injecting some sort of drug. Maybe they'd try that again. Would be useless against people like Hawkeye and Ironheart though, whose powers are entirely tech. But in those cases, they can just confiscate their equipment.
    SPIN --- Super-Power-Inhibiting Nanites. I remember. Then Iron Man tried that s*** on the Hulk at the beginning of World War Hulk . . . and Hulk no-sold it. Of course, it turned out later that HYDRA had someone on the inside of the Initiative steal the SPIN so Iron Man would be effectively shooting blanks, but still.

Mighty Member

I wonder how this will affect teen and kid heroes who have government regulations placed on them like Kid Kaiju who is monitored by the government to deal with giant monsters. Seriously, I doubt they'll let him go because giant monster attacks are not uncommon sights in the Marvel Universe.

Well, Kid Kaiju doesn't actually fight himself. He's kind of like a Pokemon trainer, lol. His monsters fight on his behalf!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post

A new status quo and something similar to SHRA but a ban on teen heroes.

One shot done by Eve Ewing and Kim Jacinto in March and then I'm guessing will ripple through Ms. Marvel/Miles and the other young heroes.

What makes this interesting is aren't the Young Avengers and Runaways also under 21 still?
    I like the premise of “adults know what’s better for kids, but that what adults have in place is not better for kids”. We’ve seen kids protest, and reject adult values as in that girl from Finland on climate change rejection. Even kids protest gun laws because adults can’t protect kids from mass shootings in schools. Agitation is a reality in society now, so my issue is, why haven’t adults addressed concerns of kids, and why do kids have to bring this up? If society was running well, we wouldn’t have kids protesting. Sure. Bring it out in the open. Have a Marvel Event about the dysfunction of society that doesn’t show protection for children. Get Franklin Richards involved, and see if Franky can get his daddy involved, to explain why children are in such danger and the environment isn’t being respected. Social issues and scientific issues is what Reed Richards had in Civil War, but not with kids.

The Champions want to be recognised. They’ve been trying to have their say since Civil War II. Yes, the youth stuff up once in a while, but it’s the perennial struggle of adulthood, where youth transition from the cosy safe bubble of family, to the dangerous and serious concern of adult society. How much can kids change adult issues? Do naive youth have something to offer? When does youth have to hunker down and pull their weight?

I am very much looking forward to this. And Sam isn't taking anyones crap in that last panel (Sam is my favorite)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Niffleheim

Carol Cadets needs to make a comeback for this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Looks like they have a chance to show up since Discord and Lockdown are mentioned.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Like how Civil War turned the pro-registration side into out-and-out fascists who committed multiple human rights violations in the process of bringing the anti-registration forces to heel.
    I’m trying to relate that to the Homeland Security Act of the Bush era and the witch hunt mindframe the government had at the time. Fascists could be one way of putting it. But the Bush era were acting in a knee-jerk manner to attacks on two American cities. I saw when Bush confronted the workers at ground zero, as similar to how the workers of the French Revolution reacted against the injustice of the monarchy, and history just had to play out how it did. It was brutal, but you couldn’t predict where the whole thing would go. Multiple human rights violations were done in a period like that, including in Afghanistan and Iraq. America was just playing out in history. The same in Civil War I.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I love how they reminded Carol how badly that got screwed up .
    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Looks like they have a chance to show up since Discord and Lockdown are mentioned.
    I can see them jumping at the chance to get Kamala arrested.

Mighty Member

So let me get this straight.

Marvel Earth, presumably like our Earth, allows people 18 years of age to experience PTSD and risk mutilation, without healing factors mind you, and death in a war as soldiers against aliens or time travelers since this is Marvel, but people under 21 are somehow too much.

so with Marvel's perpetually sliding timeline, just who all are purely teens/under 21 and who are the folks who are "clearly" adults? what percentage of Marvel's heroes are allowed to be well over 30 years old? Spider-Man has to be constantly punted back to his mid 20s, in comparison, and the New Mutants were supposed to be at least several years younger than him. Do they match in age now?