Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

DC's Batman: Outlaws wants its title back. Anyway now we get to see how Young Justice: Sins of youth would have played out in the MU.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

The premise does sound a lot like Civil War, specially with the whole ''being triggered by a tragic event'' thing. Apparently something happened to Viv Vision and Ms. Marvel, according to the preview pages. I'm not worried for Kamala at all; she has her own solo book which is tying in to the event, so she's safe. Viv, on the other hand... color me concerned. Marvel has a history of killing teen Vision legacies (Jonas, Vin), so I wouldn't be completely shocked to see her being added to the list. Anyone other than Kamala, Sam, Miles, Nadia, Riri and Amadeus is in the danger zoner, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    What makes this interesting is aren't the Young Avengers and Runaways also under 21 still?
    Who even knows what age the YA and the Runaways are supposed to be in this event. The two teams were supposed to be the same age (with the exceptions of Cassie, Molly and Chase), but as we know, aging in the Marvel Universe is weird AF, and now we have Kate Bishop who's aged 5 years ever since her first appearence, while the Runaways only aged 2 years. Hopefully this event will clear up what age those characters are actually supposed to be. I would appreciate some consistency, and I don't mind if they have to retcon their ages for that.

If we were to apply the RIGHT sliding timescale logic, 4 years have passed since their debut in the early 2000s. That would put Billy, Teddy, Eli, Kate and Tommy at the age of 20. Cassie would be 18, but she also died for some time, so they could get away with saying she's younger, maybe 17. I could buy Noh-Varr and America being 21 or older, since there's a lot less established about their age. As for the Runaways: Nico, Karolina and Victor would be 20. Chase would be 21. Molly would be 16. Alex and Gert died, and judging by the time each of them have been back, I'm guessing they would be at 17/16, respectively.

Obviously, it's possible (even likely) Marvel won't establish those ages at all. But it's the closest thing to how old each of them should be, if we're trying to be consistent and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Remember when Cap used to be against teen heroes? At least around the Young Avenger/Runaways era. He's come a long way since then.
    I think by the end of Avengers: Children's Crusade, Steve had a change of heart on the subject. He was the one who gave the YA blessing to be full fledged Avengers, after all. And then we had Avengers Academy, which was all about the adult heroes recognizing that it's safer to train and supervise teen heroes instead of trying to forbid their actions and have them go behind their backs anyway. Actually, now would be the perfect time for the AvAc concept to come back, maybe even as some sort of official government program that prepares underage heroes until they're legal to act.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Runaways and YA? If it has been 2 years since both were introduced in the Marvel Timeline...
    Like I said, It's been two years only for the Runaways, which was a total screw up from Rainbow Rowell. I love her run, but yeah, that time skip doesn't add up at all. I'll be ok with Marvel ignoring that outside of her book, honestly. Kieron Gillen also screwed up by establishing Kate to be 21 on his YA run, when she was a teenager just one year before.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 12-11-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Spider-man stared out as a teen also and how old was the invisible girl and marvel girl when they started?

What about the 50 states teens? They were trained and got the ok from the government to be heroes. They more or less got a "we can fight crime by law" card. What's going to happen with them?
    No one knew Spider-Man was a teenager when he started out and Sue was an adult woman when she was Invisible Girl despite what her code name suggested.

Yeah, she was actually Johnny's legal guardian. He was 15, same as Spidey, and I think she was 23.

Gaastra mentioned Marvel Girl too - Jean was 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Like I said, It's been two years only for the Runaways, which was a total screw up from Rainbow Rowell. I love her run, but yeah, that time skip doesn't add up at all. I'll be ok with Marvel ignoring that outside of her book, honestly. Kieron Gillen also screwed up by establishing Kate to be 21 on his YA run, when she was a teenager just one year before.
    Rowell did that to keep Molly young. But that second arc where she made a new friend at school would've still worked with her as a 15 year old instead of a 13 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    DC's Batman: Outlaws wants its title back. Anyway now we get to see how Young Justice: Sins of youth would have played out in the MU.
    Sins of Youth didn't actually have teen heroes banned, it was a failed attempt to ban the Young Justice team specifically.

Also, it's not Batman: Outlaws. You're confusing Red Hood and the Outlaws and Batman and the Outsiders.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-11-2019 at 06:24 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It seems kind of weird to me to just target the younger vigilante's instead of the older ones as well, but I guess from an authority perspective it's even more dangerous to leave minors out there doing the things the adult heroes do, even if it's not like the adult heroes have much more legitimate authority or professional standing by comparison.
    I don't think it's weird, It doesn't necessarily have to mean that the teens are causing dangerous situations as it is that they are being put into dangerous situations. I think it's pretty natural for at least some of the adult heroes to want to prevent the teens from being put into dangerous, potentially life threatening, situations, and i mean, they have the authority to do that, since they are minors.

Maybe? She's working for the CIA (was revealed in Invisible Woman recently), so she is still in law enforcement even without SHIELD.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she was actually Johnny's legal guardian. He was 15, same as Spidey, and I think she was 23.

Gaastra mentioned Marvel Girl too - Jean was 16.

Rowell did that to keep Molly young. But that second arc where she made a new friend at school would've still worked with her as a 15 year old instead of a 13 year old.

Sins of Youth didn't actually have teen heroes banned, it was a failed attempt to ban the Young Justice team specifically.

Also, it's not Batman: Outlaws. You're confusing Red Hood and the Outlaws and Batman and the Outsiders.
    No, No you are the one who is getting confused. Batman: Outlaws was a limited series that had the same premise as Outlaws. It's a oft repeated plot trope after all, heroes getting outlawed or banned. As for YJ yeah they had become fugitives but the endeavour to outlaw teen heroics did fail. It did succeed in Legends though another limited series dealing with the same premise although it wasn't specifically targeting teens.

Mighty Member

How would the gov't even begin to enforce this edict? Are we to believe that the adult heroes would be ordered to detain the teens or is the gov't going to form a taskforce to arrest them. Don't see this ending well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    No, No you are the one who is getting confused. Batman: Outlaws was a limited series that had the same premise as Outlaws. It's a oft repeated plot trope after all, heroes getting outlawed or banned.
    Never heard of it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Never heard of it.
    Yep it's a pretty obscure series so I don't blame you for not having heard of it. Chances are casual DC readers have never heard of it or are even aware of its existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The premise does sound a lot like Civil War, specially with the whole ''being triggered by a tragic event'' thing. Apparently something happened to Viv Vision and Ms. Marvel, according to the preview pages. I'm not worried for Kamala at all; she has her own solo book which is tying in to the event, so she's safe. Viv, on the other hand... color me concerned. Marvel has a history of killing teen Vision legacies (Jonas, Vin), so I wouldn't be completely shocked to see her being added to the list. Anyone other than Kamala, Sam, Miles, Nadia, Riri and Amadeus is in the danger zoner, IMO.
    It seems like Civil War with less of a hero vs. hero bent and more of a hero vs. government bent, albeit we might still see some hero vs. hero clashes if the adult heroes need to capture the teen heroes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one knew Spider-Man was a teenager when he started out and Sue was an adult woman when she was Invisible Girl despite what her code name suggested.
    I think Sue was 18 originally, if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I don't think it's weird, It doesn't necessarily have to mean that the teens are causing dangerous situations as it is that they are being put into dangerous situations. I think it's pretty natural for at least some of the adult heroes to want to prevent the teens from being put into dangerous, potentially life threatening, situations, and i mean, they have the authority to do that, since they are minors.
    I guess this will ask an interesting question of the adult heroes as to whether it's okay to let these kids do this, even if they've been letting them do it for so long that it will come off hypocritical of them to go along with this law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Will they ask Maria Hill to enforce this?
    Nobody knows better about illegally cracking down on heroes like Hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    How would the gov't even begin to enforce this edict? Are we to believe that the adult heroes would be ordered to detain the teens or is the gov't going to form a taskforce to arrest them. Don't see this ending well at all.
    I assume the adult heroes will be expected to detain any active teen heroes disregarding the law (whether they will do it or not is a whole other question). There will also probably be adult heroes tasked with capturing them.

I think the knocked out men on that cover are the taskforce tasked with arresting teen heroes.

Even if this has CW vibes, I gotta admit that I'm actually legitimately excited for this event and see where it'll go. Aside from the focus being on characters I actually do care about, the premise and idea behind it on initial preview doesn't appear to be so super heavily and politically charged like the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Even if this has CW vibes, I gotta admit that I'm actually legitimately excited for this event and see where it'll go. Aside from the focus being on characters I actually do care about, the premise and idea behind it on initial preview doesn't appear to be so super heavily and politically charged like the previous ones.
    I think it's less politics and more of an ethics issue.

BANNED

I think it's less politics and more of an ethics issue.
    it's politicized ethics
    this is going the route of civil war
    i can feel it

how else would they enforce?